Author Topic: ollies weight  (Read 3798 times)

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
ollies weight
« on: June 22, 2009, 09:31:42 PM »
OK Ollie is now 13 months old and under the vets supervision he has been on a constant diet since he was 3 months old as he was very over weight ... the vet told me to feed him Arden grange light i have been feeding this for 1 year now and at his heavyest he was 21kgs and at the lightest 20.4kgs we tried to reduce the quantity of food even lower but Ollie became very hungry (starving) his behaviour changed and other things to . the vet then told us to up the amount back to what it was before anyway he just wasn't loosing weight .. i went to a small pet shop last week and explained this to them the lady that owned the pet shop shop said try this food (formula k ) she said 9 out of 10 dogs loose weight and if Ollie doesn't loose anything i would get double my money back !!! thought this was to good to be true she then said it has 20% less fat in it and i decided to give it a try well Ollie loves it and he's been on 75g in the morning and 75g in the afternoon and he's full for once on the arden grange he was on 150g in the morning and 75 at teatime and was still hungry ... i took him to the vets on Saturday only 3 days after starting the food and he's already 19.85kgs how good is that fingers crossed by the end of the 30 days he will be a lot thinner

this was ollie at only 8 weeks old

"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: ollies weight
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:33:56 PM »
That sounds like good news then  ;) Hope he continues to do well on it  :D

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:43:30 PM »
Absolutely brilliant.  It sounds positive to me.
I struggle with my older dog Freya.....she is 22kg at the moment, but she weighed 26 at the highest.....it was awful.  They did the thyroid test, and she is now on medication....but, it is a slow process.  Good luck. xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 05:14:38 PM »
How heavy was he to start with this time? Just trying to gauge how much he's lost in 3 days as if its over half a kg then thats far too much in such a short space of time. What are the ingredients of this formula k? What weight has your vet said he should be? Even the biggest cockers should be more than 17/18kg and most average about 12-15kg.

What(if any) other foods do you feed Ollie? Treats, titbits etc?

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:48:56 PM »
Ollie was 20.4kgs four days ago now he is 19.85kgs .... Both me and the vet would be happy with Ollie ending up at 17-18kgs the vet has said in the past when he was a puppie that he should be 15kgs fully grown but both me and the vet realise that Ollie is a really big cocker so i don't think that would ever happen the food can be given in a larger quantity once he's lost the weight as a maintenance dose . Ollie was over weight from the day i bought him at v8 weeks old as he would bully the other puppies out of food ( this is what the breeder told me ) . Ollie goes to the vets at least twice a week for weight checks and has done since he was 3 months old it's part of our lives .  I'm sure the vet would notice if something was wrong . The good news is he's loosing weight he seems healthy and he's got a lot more energy he's been chasing after my other dog all afternoon .  Normally he just lies down and doesn't join in .

To answer your question Ollie has nothing else no human food never has and never will . He might have up to two raw hide rings a month as he still loves to chew but thats it . The vet wants him to be 15kgs as he Say's that is the weight all cocker's should be as he's looked on his chart !!!!!! I went to another vet she said she would like to see him at 18kgs first as he's a big dog .. then she said we would take it from there as he might not need to loose any more weight . she said all she wants is to see a defined waist and a tuck under the belly .... at the moment Ollie has the tuck under his belly but no waist !

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »
Good for Ollie...... he is gonna be so much better for the loss, hey?

It sounds like you and the vet have good plans, and that they are working well.

Keep us posted. x
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 09:40:36 PM »
Ollie will be going to the vets again tomorrow ... I wonder what his weight will be fingers and paws crossed xxxx

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:41:56 PM »
Ollie will be going to the vets again tomorrow ... I wonder what his weight will be fingers and paws crossed xxxx

Good luck for tomorrow then  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 08:20:36 PM »
Really good news he's now 19.4kgs slowly but surely the weight is coming off .....................YEAH

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 08:07:06 PM »
ok another 1 week later ollie is now 19.15kgs i'm really happy for once something is working !

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 08:09:06 PM »

Great news!!
 :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 09:01:45 PM »
Wonderful - so pleased for you  - and Ollie of course  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 01:37:24 AM »
And the slimmer of the week award goes to............

OLLIE!!!!

Well done, keep up the good work!
You'll be a new man.  :luv:

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 07:32:09 AM »
Sounds like the food is really working for him. :D

He was certainly a big boy at 8 weeks! :o :luv: Do you have any pics of him as an adult?
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 07:39:49 AM »
Glad the vet recognises that he's bigger than most Cockers.  Jasper had the same problem and we found the best for him was Orijen.  I seem to be able to keep him at the 17kg mark now but he was 20kg for ages and didn't seem to change on the Arden Grange or Burns options.

Once the weight started to move, Jasper was a lot more active which in turn helps with weight and fitness of course.

Keep it up Ollie  :luv:

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie