Author Topic: Seperation during the night  (Read 750 times)

Offline roxyandboys

Seperation during the night
« on: August 03, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
Although i didn't think it would a problem for Gibbs he gets very anxious at night times once i've gone to bed, well, very anxious whenever i go anywhere he cannot follow.

One of the rules is that Gibbs isn't allowed upstairs, as i need to ensure the cats have a dog free area, especially in the beginning, so once i go to bed Gibbs is downstairs with his own bed.

He whines and wimpers, and this morning at about half five started softly howling.  Previous to me picking him up on Thursday he spent time in a kennel outside with other dogs, so he should be used to not being around humans.

What can i do to help him feel safe and secure during the night time?  He has a lovely soft bed which i originally had in the corner behind a door so that it felt like a little cubby hole but he didn't like it there and seems to prefer the spot in front of the sofa, so i've moved his bed here, and given him a few cuddle toys.  What else can i do for him?

Cheers

Rox'n'Gibbs.

Offline I love cockers

Re: Seperation during the night
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:45:47 PM »
Hi

How old is Gibbs? Do you have any other dogs? you mention he is used to dog company more than humans and wonder if that is a reason for his crying. Are you leaving him on his own during the day at all? If not you may need to build up time being on his own before he will feel comfortable on his own for a longer period of time. It still sounds like early days in terms of him settling in to living in a house and possible that he needed to go out for a wee/ poo....especially if he is used ot being in a kennel rather than in a house. Does he whine and wimper the whole time he is left on his own? If its just during the night / early morning I would go and let him out - dont talk to him and then leave him in his bed and go back to bed till you are ready to get up.

My dogs have a not allowed upstairs rule - mainly because when I first moved in with OH he was slightly allergic but also less dog hair for me to clean but I have had them both since being puppies so they are used to it.

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:46:26 PM »
Yes but in the kennel he was with other dogs for company.

Its a new enviroment to him, new people and if he hasnt lived inside before lots of things in the house will be new too.

It really helped Flynn to have a crate, he would whine and pace if we went to bed and he was not crated but is fine if hes in a crate.

He loves it and most nights at about 11pm he takes himself off and thats him for the night.

Your dog has gone through a big change and night times may be the first time he has ever been on his own, I would start leaving him in another room for a few mins during the day and only going in to him when hes quiet. He just needs to learn its not scary and that you will come back.

Offline roxyandboys

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:55:46 PM »
Gibbs is nearly 9 months old, he had an owner previous to me and was living inside without other dogs, when they 'got rid' of him he went back to his breeders who have their dogs outside in kennels, when i went to pick him up he was sharing his space with 2 other dogs.  Gibbs is the only dog in my house, he intially whines whenever i go upstairs, this lasts for about 10 mins or so, then this morning at about half five he started howling shortly after my friend who had stayed the night went to work.

It is still early days yes, i only picked him up on Thursday.  I do not leave him on his own during the day no, although i will start doing as suggested and leaving him alone for a few mins at a time. 

This morning when he started howling i went down to see him, let him outside, but he was far more intersted in jumping up with excitement, i bought him back to his bed, settled him and went back upstairs and within a few mins he started howling again.  I admit i did the wrong thing and ended up going back down and going to sleep on the sofa next to him and he went to sleep in his bed happily.

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »
When Flynn came he used to howl at 6 30 every morning.

I started getting up at 6 25 so I was down before he started and then just kept increasing the time by 5mins. He soon learnt I came to him when he was quiet.

Amber used to pace and whine when we went upstairs so I used to sit up there and only come down when she was quiet, nightmare if you were only nipping up to grab something and then had to spend 10mins waiting for her to stop. But she did learn that its not that scary and I would come to her when she was being quiet, not when she was noisy.

Offline roxyandboys

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
sound advice.

thanks

Offline BabyB

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 04:46:55 PM »
He sounds absolutely lovely  :-* :-*

Same advice really, build up the time that he's left from, but vary the times too.
So do 10 seconds, 40 seconds, 2 mins, 30 seconds - that sort of thing.  Don't make a fuss of him when you come back in the room.  And if likes treats, then leave him with one so his focus is on that on not on you leave IYSWIM.

This is the advice that Mark (Topbarks) and Cob-Web gave me for leaving our two and it has been invaluable.  Def. works.

You need to post some piccies of Gibbs too  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind