Author Topic: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice - updated  (Read 18429 times)

Offline Gordo

Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 09:33:21 PM »
Thanks for all your advice - it really is appreciated.

Will talk to behaviourist again tomorrow and hopefully have an idea of what to do next.

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 09:34:02 PM »
I agree with what Joanne said, just give her her space this evening, any contact is likely to escalate things.

You said that things escalated after your walk. Have you had Lily checked for hip dysplasia? If, as she is growing, she is developing this she will be in tremendous pain during and after a walk. I don't know if she has been x-rayed (and I wouldn't ever suggest that a dog is x-rayed unnecessarily) but as she is growing, this could be a developing problem.

Please let us know how you get on.  :blink:
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 09:37:32 PM »
I'm just wondering if she could be starting her first season & is suffering from PMT?

My first bitch used to get quite hormonal when her seasons were due, although she was never regular, so I got her spayed.

Do you have any Rescue Remedy in the house? If you do, I suggest you put a few drops in her water bowl. Normally, I get dogs to lick it off my fingers, but since she's likely to take your fingers with it, I suggest you put it in her water.

I agree with the others that you should see your vet asap to try to get to the bottom of this.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 09:38:51 PM »
I'm just wondering if she could be starting her first season & is suffering from PMT?

My first bitch used to get quite hormonal when her seasons were due, although she was never regular, so I got her spayed.

Do you have any Rescue Remedy in the house? If you do, I suggest you put a few drops in her water bowl. Normally, I get dogs to lick it off my fingers, but since she's likely to take your fingers with it, I suggest you put it in her water.

I agree with the others that you should see your vet asap to try to get to the bottom of this.

I wondered that myself. Is she showing any signs?

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Gordo

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 09:43:01 PM »
We did speek to the behaviourist again today - he phoned after I e-mailed him about her escalating agression, and he mentioned this, but also didn't think this would be the case due to her age and the fact that she is still very puppyish?!?

What are the signs of her 1st season?

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 09:47:22 PM »
We did speek to the behaviourist again today - he phoned after I e-mailed him about her escalating agression, and he mentioned this, but also didn't think this would be the case due to her age and the fact that she is still very puppyish?!?

Seasons can start at 6 months old for cockers. The signs are a swollen vulva, attention from males, licking off the ladybits with or without signs of blood as well as behavioural changes such as agitation, grumpiness, being clingy and other out of character behaviour. Probably more than this but seasons are not something I know to much about. I do know that they can affect some dogs in major ways a bit like some women with PMT.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 09:57:06 PM »
If she is in the pre-season stage, there are not really any reliable signs in a first timer, as you don't know the timing yet or what to expect.  :-\ Behavioural  changes are definitely one of the things, possibly increased urination (marking). I did also wonder about seasons too, if this is a pre-season mood swing you might consider early spaying as this is a bit beyond the usual grumpies some bitches go through  :-\
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline baxterboy

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 10:04:08 PM »
our chap started getting aggressive before we discovered his patella condition (7 months). nearly all his aggression is a result of pain either through his sore knee or his broken leg or trying to groom out tugs.

i would guess that such a quick change is the result of some type of pain or insecurity.

in saying that he can be a nasty little sod for the simplest of thing such as toys or socks.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 10:05:12 PM »

Mine was very puppyish and was a shock when she had her first season at 7 months as she was tiny and still very much a puppy.   Her mood did change but she'd never shown any aggressive behaviour.   I can't help with the behaviour but just to let you know that seasons can start early and they do change during this time.    

I hope you find some answers soon, she seems really young to be showing this aggression.    :-\    What was she like before this started and how long has she been like this.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 10:08:23 PM »
I think it's difficult to speculate in situations like this, I would definitely get your girl to the vet and ask to be referred to a Cocker-savvy behaviourist asap. I would definitely ask for a behaviourist who has experience in dealing with spaniels as not all do and this can cause issues with jumping to conclusions which may not necessarily happen with another breed of dog. I hope you get some answers soon, it must be incredibly stressful for you and for her.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 10:23:53 PM »
She was checked out by the vet and we were refered to the behaviourist by them. The behaviourist is David Appleby MSc CCAB. He has been recommended by a number of people and several vets/trainers.

She doesn't appear to be in pain. We could take her to the vet if we can get her into her car harness without being bitten.

He knows his stuff alright

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 07:40:48 AM »
I had another thought overnight - have you spoken to Lily's breeder about this? It's possible that they may be able to shed some light on the problem.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 07:59:45 AM »
She was checked out by the vet and we were refered to the behaviourist by them. The behaviourist is David Appleby MSc CCAB. He has been recommended by a number of people and several vets/trainers.

She doesn't appear to be in pain. We could take her to the vet if we can get her into her car harness without being bitten.

He knows his stuff alright

Sounds like you have a decent behaviourist  ;) as suggested could be hormonal due to early season - would def get her to vets for full bloods as has been suggested

Really hope you get this sorted real soon  :-*

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 09:33:08 AM »

I would echo what others have said about getting the vet to double check everything... stuffster on here has recently gone into battle with 2 vets adamant that her dog's aggression had a physical cause... the vets were very dismissive and she had to fight to get various tests done... the tests didn't show much, but due to a minor problem the vet agreed to give him some painkillers to see if it helped, and by all accounts he is a changed dog...

Sometimes vets underestimate the impact some minor ailments can have on a dog, and sometimes they don't look at all the potential physical causes... (especially thyroid, it would appear).

Good luck - you obviously care deeply for Lilly and I hope you can help her through this!  :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »

I would echo what others have said about getting the vet to double check everything... stuffster on here has recently gone into battle with 2 vets adamant that her dog's aggression had a physical cause... the vets were very dismissive and she had to fight to get various tests done... the tests didn't show much, but due to a minor problem the vet agreed to give him some painkillers to see if it helped, and by all accounts he is a changed dog...

Sometimes vets underestimate the impact some minor ailments can have on a dog, and sometimes they don't look at all the potential physical causes... (especially thyroid, it would appear).

Good luck - you obviously care deeply for Lilly and I hope you can help her through this!  :luv:

completely agree with Karma, and the thoughts about Stufster's Alfie were going through my mind as I read this so good luck with the vet. 

You will probably have to push for all the thyroid/blood tests and I would really consider having x-rays of legs/hips/spine done too.

Such a shame we don't understand 'dog' and they can't tell us what's going on  :-\
helen & jarvis x