Author Topic: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice - updated  (Read 18490 times)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2009, 12:16:36 PM »
I have no useful advice just wanted to say I was thinking of you and in no way are you letting your girl down...you are seeking advice in all the right places and you are doing all you can  :-*
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2009, 12:27:03 PM »
I was going to suggest a slip lead too, you can just drop it over her head without having to reach for her and fiddle around her neck and to get it off you can just hold the lead forwards until it slackens and slide if over her head again without touching her. Good luck, it sounds like you have a good vet and a good behaviourist on your side so I hope you can get to the bottom of her issues.

A cocker I fostered was really bad at putting her lead on and while out she'd try to bite me so using the slip lead was a godsend + with the rescue we use them a lot as well
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline daisy do

• Daisy do
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2009, 12:55:37 PM »
Hi Sorry to hear you are having problems I to have been having serious problems with aggression with my Daisy she is 10 mths we had her checked out with the vet think maybe you could do that to rule out any underlying problem and we to have seen a behaviorist and he is to see us at home tomorrow she has been a nightmare and last night started garding the hoover I sympathise as I know how you feel is hard to understand what could be going on she to is very insecure you are doing the best you can and I have had a lot of support off COL  hope it helps to know someone is always ready to try to help or just listen

Offline Gordo

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2009, 07:40:37 PM »
An update:-

Was going to phone vet this morning and ask her about all the things you've suggested on here.  However, she beat me to it!  David had been in touch with her and suggested Lily has one of her K9's removed (she has an undershot jaw and one of her lower K9s is growing straight up into roof of her mouth, and she was going to have this removed when she was spayed).  Hannah (vet) also mentioned about spaying her, so I questioned the aggression, and she said out of all the dogs she's spayed, only 1 became more agressive, so I said we'd be lead by her/David.  Lily has also been itching her back legs alot, so she is going to have some allergy tests and I asked if she could have full bloods done when she's under - Hannah was also going to suggest this.

It's all booked in for Friday - having her tooth removed, allergy tests, blood tests and spaying!  Hannah is also going to assess her generally.

After phone call, I spoke to my mum and she asked about giving her some pain killers (I've always said that I think alot of this is due to pain/undershot jaw), so I phoned vets back and got her some Metacam.

Now, and I say this very cautiously(!), since giving her the pain killer, we seem to have got our girl back  :blink: and it's wonderful!! :D  We've also followed what David said, making her earn her food through stroking, and we can now give her quite a fuss, but we're still reluctant to push it too far!  When I came in from work, Lily was so happy to see me - it was the welcome I used to get!  :D  Hubby said se did the same to him, AND he managed to get the lead on her to take her out for a walk   :blink:

Now we understand that as fantastic as this all is, we are still treading very cautiously.  We also expect to go back to where we were this morning tomorrow morning, but hopefully it won't take as long as today to get her to where she is accepting our stroking her.

I'd can't thank you all enough for all the kind words of support and advice you have given us in these darkest days -- as you've said we're doing everything we can for her and as hard as it has been, we hope we have turned the corner, fingers crossed, eh.  I'll keep updating on this thread as so many of you have asked me to let you know how she's getting on, but also, now I've found this site, I'll be here loads!!  :D

Off to e-mail David now!!

Kate x

PS Daisy do -- good luck for tomorrow!  :blink:

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2009, 07:48:50 PM »
Have been reading this thread but had no advice to offer, but just wanted to say it sounds like you have had a productive day and things may slowly start to improve. It's fantastic you have a great behaviourist and vet, take comfort from them and all the experience on here.

Will have my fingers crossed for you and hope this can be rectified and you get your little girl back.  :blink:

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2009, 07:51:13 PM »
Do you know you have been on my mind all day. I so hope that you have found the cause and you can move forward from this point. She is lucky to have such wonderful caring owners. Please keep us all posted and I hope that the op goes well. Sending you all of our love Sharon Bella and Jasmine.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2009, 08:10:57 PM »
So glad things seem to be moving forward, I have everything crossed that you are on the way to getting to the bottom of Lily's problems. Good luck for Friday, I will be thinking of you all :-* :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2009, 08:11:52 PM »
Wow that is very encouraging news.  :D You are lucky to have great vet and behaviourist to help and advise.   :D  It sounds like Lily has been in some pain so no wonder she has been so cross  :-\  I hope the removal of her tooth will solve the problem - hopefully you will be able to keep her pain free now so that should help.  Well done for persevering to find the cause - wouldn't it be easy if they could talk ?  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »
Fantastic that you seem to have found a reason for her behaviour, thank god for owners like you  :D.

Millie

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2009, 08:28:56 PM »
So glad to hear things sounding more positive!  :D You're doing a great job! You;re absolutely right, everything is baby steps, with sometimes a backward slide, but it all keeps moving forward so don't lose heart

Do keep us posted on how you get on  :blink:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2009, 08:31:11 PM »
Now, and I say this very cautiously(!), since giving her the pain killer, we seem to have got our girl back  :blink: and it's wonderful!! :D  We've also followed what David said, making her earn her food through stroking, and we can now give her quite a fuss, but we're still reluctant to push it too far!  When I came in from work, Lily was so happy to see me - it was the welcome I used to get!  :D  Hubby said se did the same to him, AND he managed to get the lead on her to take her out for a walk   :blink:
That brought tears to my eyes. I am so pleased that you seem to have found the root of the problem and that she will hopefully be sorted after Friday.

Well done you for seeking help and advice and not just writing her off as aggressive as too many people do.

I look forward to reading about how Lily is getting on and of course, seeing photos of her.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2009, 08:32:04 PM »
Brilliant news, sounds very positive all paws crossed here for continued success

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Gordo

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2009, 08:57:19 PM »
For all of you who have supported us. This is the reason we keep going. This was taken on holiday a couple of weeks ago, she'd just been paddling in the sea.

Offline mcphee

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2009, 09:02:59 PM »
Lovely to see missimoo. (what I call my daughter when she is crouchy). Hope all is ok on Friday.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2009, 09:15:39 PM »
Shes lovely  :luv: