Author Topic: Cocker or Springer ?  (Read 5440 times)

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
Re: Cocker or Springer ?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 09:13:10 AM »
My daughter has a cross show/working cocker who looks very much like Bailey but I do think Baily looks heavier than Darcy so who knows! Sorry not much help but I do think he is gorgeous  :luv:whatever he is.....Liz

Offline Bluelad

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 06:26:07 PM »
He does look more Springer to me.

Here's a pic of our working springer Scooter taken at 15 weeks

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 06:49:41 PM »
hmm i think a springer as well looks like my mika did at that age. whaterever the breed i hope you have lots of fun and hugs with little one

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 06:55:44 PM »
I'm with Mary on this one - he looks more springer to me, and show x working springer -  and I think he is absolutely gorgeous...

here's a working springer at the same age - he doesn't have the ears or the domed head  ;)

and here's a working cocker of the same colouring (my workers 1/2 sis - she was around 8 months here)

Crikey Helen, to the undertrained eye they look very similar, you can see why people get springers and workers mixed up  :D
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline mel1961red

• Bailey
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 10:54:35 PM »
Well I am still none the wiser I have seen pictures of springers and cockers and either could be Bailey, apart from differences in build does any one know of any specific thigs that would tell me what he is ?

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 11:09:02 PM »
Bailey's gorgeous, you'll have a lot of fun watching him grow into either a springer type, cocker type, or mixed spaniel  :luv:
Unfortunately there is no hard and fast method for distinguishing a cocker from a springer (indeed springers and cockers used to be one breed, and pups from the same litter were divided into 'springer' and 'cocker' types based on weight alone  :shades: )

The only relatively certain method is to look at the dogs in your pups pedigree to see if they are all cockers or all springers, or a mixture, but unfortunately as your pup does not have any papers you don't have this means of finding out  :-\

Good luck with your boy, he's an absolute beauty  :-*

Mary xxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »

Well I am still none the wiser I have seen pictures of springers and cockers and either could be Bailey, apart from differences in build does any one know of any specific thigs that would tell me what he is ?

I'm leaning toward springer (show type) due to the heavier skull and shorter muzzle.
How old is he, how tall and what does he weigh? They are generally almost twice the size of a similar age cocker  ;)

You'll know by the time he's full grown!  :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 11:32:14 PM »
If you can track down any of the other pups from the litter you may have a better idea.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 12:09:50 AM »
How gorgeous.
I go with the show springer vote, not that i'm biased or anything. Here is my 'other'dog, the big softie Springer , Marti, who puts up with all cocker bullying with good grace!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 08:29:04 AM »
What a terrific little pup.  Since he's obviously your boy, regardless of his origins, why don't you just hang on in here and post more pictures as he grows?  His breed will probably become more apparent in a few months and, in the meantime, you'll be making us all pretty happy if you give us a constant stream of pictures.  I am having to deal very firmly with my springaholic husband who keeps pulling up your pictures in support of his constant whining for another dog.  ::) ::)  He is one lovely little feller (dog - not OH  :005: :005:)

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 12:03:40 PM »
Gosh, it is hard to tell the difference at times, isn't it? I would have thought Marti was a Cocker if you hadn't said, Phoenix (although maybe it's just the angle of the photo) :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 01:41:48 PM »
size/shape and gait usually gives it away too - in the photo's bailey looks much more springer size/shape..and they have a very different way of moving than cockers which will become more evident as the dog grows older  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 01:56:45 PM »
i think maybe english springer  with the longer ears rather than the welsh ones, the english  look much more cocker like to me , hes absolutley gorgeous whatever he is  :luv: :luv:

I agree, minimoo - definitely NOT a Welsh Springer.  They are always red and white (and gorgeous  :luv:).  ESS can be liver and white or black and white (and gorgeous  :luv:) so I think he's an ESS (and gorgeous  :luv:)

I think Tilly needs a little Springer brother  :shades:

Sue and Tilly

Offline JohnW

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 04:25:55 PM »
Would a DNA profile check give a clue? I did read somewhere this can be done. But it really depends on how bothered you would be to go this far. As far as I am concerned he is probably a Springer and as he ages this will become more obvious but maybe it's another option a bit extreme I know, and I am unsure of how expensive etc. Breeders DNA profile their dogs all the time so maybe its not that difficult to assertain his backround. Just a wee thought.

Offline BabyB

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 07:40:04 PM »
How gorgeous.
I go with the show springer vote, not that i'm biased or anything. Here is my 'other'dog, the big softie Springer , Marti, who puts up with all cocker bullying with good grace!

:luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:

Bailey is  :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv: too  :-*
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind