Author Topic: Cocker or Springer ?  (Read 5441 times)

Offline mel1961red

• Bailey
Re: Cocker or Springer ?
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2009, 12:06:22 AM »
Thanks for all your replies its very interesting just have to wait till he grows up I think hes lovely though and I love him to bits
XX

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »
size/shape and gait usually gives it away too - in the photo's bailey looks much more springer size/shape..and they have a very different way of moving than cockers which will become more evident as the dog grows older  :D
You're so right there livercake. When not bouncing up and down like a yo-yo, the show springer can glide along in a long, fast walking gait at any speed, even with a bicycle. Our cocker however has one speed, called flat-out gallop!
We will have to wait and see what the pup turns into!!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »
Its hard to say but Id hazard a guess hes got show springer in him or a bit of show cocker . Im tending towards springer TBH rather than cocker but time ( and size will tell ) show springers are very tall 20 inches at shoulders
 here's the  breed standard
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/114
 for show type cockers..
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/113

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2009, 06:13:46 PM »
Wow thanks for sharing those lovely photos whatever his breed he is so handsome and I also would love to see more photos of him as he grows.
Absolutely stunning I luff him loads  :luv: :luv: :luv:
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2009, 12:15:54 AM »
Agree with the gait difference test - our dog Paddy is show cocker and walks with what I call a chubby bum waggle, the springer next door has a totally different gait. They also have a sprocker who walks like a springer- it is really interesting to see the difference when we go on joint walks.
Lynne

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2009, 04:10:07 PM »
My show cocker is a liver roan and I get tons of people (even my agility trainer) asking if he's a springer.

Offline helshaw

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2009, 04:47:17 PM »
Looks abit like my Ollie whose Mum was show cocker and Dad was a worker which still means he is a cocker. He is the same colouring as well, Ollie is Chocolate roan and when he was that age he looked chocolate and white until he was a bit older and he got darker. At the end of the day like you said he is a pet so it doesn't really matter what he is and any spaniel is the best dog to have. Enjoy him and don't dwell to much on what he could be, he is gorgeous.

Offline NicoleandPoppy

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2009, 01:28:16 AM »
I got really annoyed  >:D when I went to Paws in the Park our local dog show and people kept raising their eyes at me as if I was silly for thinking my pup is a working cocker. I have all her paperwork and they were arguing with me saying Poppy was a Springer! Your Puppy does however remind me of one of our springers we had when I was little. As long as you love him that's all that matters x

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2009, 08:07:21 AM »
I think he looks springer  /cocker cross. Theres a lady near me who bought a cocker from that well known dog place in manchester and paid cocker price, think she even got a pedigree but as she grow she was much taller than a cocker, had shorter ears and had more of a springer type body. She eventually tracked down the breeder, and like you it was curiosity as she really loved her dog. It turned out she was a cocker / springer cross.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Charlie & Jasper

• Jasper the village idiot
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2009, 07:09:15 PM »
I'd definately go for Springer aswell

Here is our little Springer when he was about 12 weeks old:

And this is him now at about 14 months..

He's a working type...and as the others have said I think you have a show or at least show x working springer there.

He is absolutely gorgeous though...so keep the pictures coming  :luv:  :luv:  :luv:
Charlie 27.01.08 - 04.04.09

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »
I'd definately go for Springer aswell

Here is our little Springer when he was about 12 weeks old:

And this is him now at about 14 months..

He's a working type...and as the others have said I think you have a show or at least show x working springer there.

He is absolutely gorgeous though...so keep the pictures coming  :luv:  :luv:  :luv:

Ooooh, think I am in love.  What gorgeous eyes.  Boooootiful boy!!!
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx