Author Topic: puppy training classes  (Read 596 times)

Offline claire_cockerlover

• Limited Member
puppy training classes
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »
never been to one before,we have our first class next wednesday, what can i expect?

Offline DTrubs

Re: puppy training classes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:07:31 AM »
Mayhem!  :005:

I didn't quite get around to doing what I was supposed to in my first few lessons. What I actually did was try to stop Elvis running around like a loony, barking, playing and throwing himself against the fence  >:D

I seem to remember the others learnt to walk on the lead properly, sit and stay commands, and their puppies were also introduced to each other on the lead. I was really worried before the first one, but it wasn't just my puppy that was out of control so I felt a bit better about that!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:46:16 AM »
It depends what sort of class you have joined -as well as the basics (sit/stay) our classes allowed the pups off lead in small groups every session and also covered handling and caring for your dog. It was very hectic at times, we made the mistake of taking Brodie to the same class as her litter sister which turned out to be a bad idea :005:. We also had 'homework' to practice every week ;). The atmosphere was very relaxed and everything was based on using positive methods. Twas great fun :D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline CrunchyMand

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:27:06 AM »
I took Oscar to his first session last week. We were all spread out (there was 6 of us)in the room, so we had our own space. We focused on our dog and kept his attention. We did sit, down, watch and stand. Spending about 10 mins or so on each. I didn't notice the others in the clas as I was so focused on Oscar. We also had a little play with our dog and a toy. It was after the class I let Oscar mingle with the others. It is great fun and very relaxed. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did  :D
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 11:10:51 AM »
We had a great time at ours - Eddie had a little play with the other dogs before class and we did walking on a loose lead, sit, down, down-stay, stand, and come/recall - handling/grooming was also covered and we played games to music (musical pass the parcel and statues (to sit/down commands!).... it was a bit chaotic though and keeping his attention for a whole hour could be challenging - I needed a big glass of white wine when I got home afterwards!!  :005: Have fun and good luck!  :lol: .... and we got 'homework' too......
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby