Author Topic: Poorly Doggie  (Read 1548 times)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Poorly Doggie
« on: October 01, 2004, 11:53:51 PM »
Hi There

Il apologise now as this is gona be a long post, I hope some of you bear with me tho  ;)

Just over 4 weeks ago we returned from our Dog Training class and subsequentley fed both pooches. Within 15 mins Jessie our cocker was whimpering (i thought she was messing me about so didnt let her out as she had just come in) and 2 mins later she had pood on the floor (very unusal as clean since 5 months old). I let her out and she pood again (all very very loose, almost water - sorry  :blink: ).

When she came in i gave her a stroke on her head as comfort and noticed that she was drooling massively. She then proceeded to be sick. The drooling continued, she drank some water and then was sick again...emptying her dinner everywhere!

At this point we foned the vets and decided she needed to see someone. I was worried about dehydration and was shocked at how much drool she had produced. Her ears, front legs chin and chest were sopping wet...

Off to the emergency vets we went and there was nothing obviously wrong but she was very subdued and very wet and still drooling. She wasnt sick again....but we stopped her gulping water which helped i think.

After a 20 min consultation they advised us that it would be best if they kept her in till the morning  :(  as they felt she needed fluids via a drip. The next morning I collected her, took her home and she began to recover. By the end of that day she was almost back to herself and scoffing chicken and rice like it was going out of fashion.

Anway we kept wondering what caused it but no-one knew. Well on wednesday morning this week she was sick again..before her breakfast...and the drooling started. SO immediately off to the vets...but this time she wasn't kept in...just rehydration salts and a paste thingy for us to give to her and the usual injections we always get. Her recovery this time was quicker and she ate chicken n rice yesterday. She was back to normal almostthis mornins so a little nutro for breakfast was given. Well this afternoon at 4pm my best friend was at home and she called me as Jessie had the runs and was sick and yes you guessed it started to drool. I rushed home from work and off to the vets we went. More antibiotics and another day of starvation for Jessie and we are to keep giving the paste.
She seems loads better now and is mithering for food but is still a little subdued. (Actually sleeping right this min)

We were told that a toad might cause this reaction if she licked it (we had a toad in our garden you see) so we caught it last night and took it to another town  :lol: so it couldnt have been a toad today that made her ill !

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this type of reaction? She doesnt have access to any plants as our borders are netted off from the dogs, They have the run of the grassed bit and of the patios ?  I am at a loss to what it could be but need to find out. She hadnt been for a walk today either as she was still in recovery this morning so it must be something in our garden. We dont use slug pellets or anything else like that.

The common denominator is that it has happened all 3 times at home and just after she has been in the garden.

Saffi our other dog is absolutely fine....she obviously avoids whatever it is :rolleyes:

HELP if you can, its driving me mad. Ive even taken to collecting all slugs and snails up in a poo bag just incase she is eating one of them.
(I have removed snails from her mouth before tho and she hasnt had a reaction ;)

I look forward to your replies and apologies again for how long this post is

Cheers

Janey and stinky saliva coated Jessie x

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Poorly Doggie
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 10:10:17 AM »
Hi Janey

Sorry I can't be of any help at all :(  but just wanted to say I hope Jessie is much better now, and I hope you can discover the cause of this awful problem.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Poorly Doggie
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 10:24:27 AM »
Hi Jane

I can't offer any advice either i'm afraid, but hope shes ok and you find out whats causing it!

Offline PennyB

Poorly Doggie
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 10:45:27 AM »
The trouble with cockers is that they eat anything (or at least taste it). Could it be any of the plants she's just decided to take an interest in. She may have found the odd slug or snail you missed as well. It might be worth monitoring her trips to the garden (boring I know) or at least may be watching from a window. I gather no one has put any sort of treatment down for the garden recently.

Hope you manage to sort it out soon.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Poorly Doggie
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 10:47:27 AM »
Hi Janey

Only get well wishes from me as well :(   Hope you find the cause of this real soon!  Poor Jessie - sending a big hug  :P  
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline shaz

• Site Member
Poorly Doggie
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 02:48:35 PM »
i agree with penny b ,
whatch her closly in the garden and see where she goes and sniffs, do's she have access to any drains and have you put anything down them such as chemicals ect. even the most simpliest of things could be causing this reaction , like treated fence panels or painted garden furniture ect.
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Poorly Doggie
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 05:14:46 PM »
Poor Jessie - hope you find out what is causing the problem,

Big hug for her xxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Poorly Doggie
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 08:52:42 PM »
Thanks for yr replies.

She is on the mend now...a bit slow but not slobbering at all today!

We are watching her when she is out in the garden and I have today used a dog friendly disinfectant and washed and hosed the patio's down.

Am hoping that she doesn't have this reaction again but really want to know what causes it.

She is a bit sick of chicken n rice now lol...she can have a little nutro tomorrow :o)

Thanks again

Jane x

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Poorly Doggie
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 09:56:39 PM »
 :embarassed:  
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline marie_231

• Site Member
Poorly Doggie
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 05:49:57 PM »
our cat had similar symptoms a few years ago , ie , vomitting , drooling and the runs , but she was also hallucinating , we found out it was the conifer trees , wed just had them trimmed and she had eaten some of the cuttings, and they acted like a drug to her

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Poorly Doggie
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 10:51:09 PM »
Well we have just caught another toad !!  :huh:

Must have been this second one that caused Fridays reaction in Jessie.

I hope we dont have a colony of them as it could take weeks to rid the garden of them, especially as we have a neighbour who has a large pond (the bottom of his garden where the pond is happens to be at the side of our garden doh   :( )

Heres a pic of the toad after we captured it, Im taking downto the river in the morning to release it  :)

Im hoping it is the toads caising her to be ill.....If it isnt I dont have a clue what it is....unless maybe slugs/snails lol

Cheers

Jane

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
Poorly Doggie
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 02:10:23 PM »
No advice to offer, just hope that the poor girl gets better soon.  She missed a great walk yesterday, so here's hoping she's OK for the next one.  

Poor Toady too, being taken away from his friends & family.  I don't know about toads, but I believe that in the mating season, frogs return to the pond where they were spawned.  We used to have a pond with frogs in & when we got rid of the pond it was about 5 years before the frogs stopped visiting.