Author Topic: Who else is nervous of letting their dogs off lead? U/D done it  (Read 3516 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Who else is nervous of letting their dogs off lead? U/D done it
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2009, 01:41:10 PM »
Glad it went pretty well for you, obviously better than you thought it might... keep it up Laura, you're doing fine  :D

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2009, 05:47:40 PM »
One of my dogs has bad recall, mostly when we are on familiar territory but take her to the woods and she is an angel. I do allow her total freedom unless a horse is nearby then I will put her on her lead until its passed by. I don't think she would chase but I wont take that chance and the horsey people are all so lovely that they will stop for a quick chat. I did panic at first as she goes charging off but then  if she cant see me she keeps coming back to check in for which I praise her.  I like her to have her freedom and I don't keep calling her, this is something I used to do all the time and she used to just ignore me, now I find if she has her freedom and I just call her when I need to we have a better walk and if she does not come back I go and fetch her, Nicola advised me of this and it does work she as she does lose focus sometimes. I don't really like her out of sight though as I do worry she is black and hard to see where as my blue roan has a white tail its like a little waving flag in the undergrowth.
I love to see them charging around having fun, the last time we went out we met a lovely black american cocker and they had so much fun running around together. From what I have read you are doing so well with the training you just have to not panic so much (which I know is easier said than done!!!)
My other dog has perfect recall and will not go far from my side, they are a complete contrast. You are doing well stop worrying  :luv:
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2009, 06:54:58 PM »
Thanks guys. I am a natural worrier and worry about everything. :lol: But I'm going to try and not worry so much. I don't worry in the park at all, but woods just seem to scare me. :lol: I'll try some of your tips when I next go to the woods with him. :)

He has done fabulously well since he lost his recall a few months ago, so I'm so proud of him and myself for getting this far. Just got to get over this final hurdle.