Author Topic: 2nd Vaccs  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
2nd Vaccs
« on: October 17, 2004, 08:26:11 AM »
Brodie is due his 2nd puppy vaccination on Tuesday.  I'm dreading it as he was really ill with the first, but it has to be done :( .  Why do different vets give out different information regarding when it is safe to take the puppy outside for walks?  There are a few dogs in my street and we all go to different vets.  One says to wait a full 2 weeks for the vacc. to work, one says a week and another says 5 DAYS! :blink:   Being very nosey, I phoned them all and they all use the same brand of medication, and the surgeries are within a 2-4 mile radius of each other.  Cases of Parvo have been rare to non-existent here in the last few years.

We are obviously desperate to end our house arrest :lol:  with Brodie (he's been out every day in his puppy pouch but squirms like a maniac to get down with Molly :lol: ) but wouldn't even consider doing anything to endanger his health.  What's your opinion on this?
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
2nd Vaccs
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 09:01:58 AM »
Hi Tracey,

I know what you mean about the different timescales :rolleyes:  We have 3 vets locally and they all advise different times. We recommend about 4 days after the second vacc but one of the others reckon about 2 weeks afterwards.  I went and got my vaccines from another vets so that I can do him at 8 and 10 weeks, but I'll be sticking to our recommendation of 4 days ;)

My cousins dog was quite sick after the 1st vaccine, and like you was quite worried about getting the 2nd one done, but the pup seemed fine with that one :unsure:  Let us know how he gets on though - Disney is going in on tomorrow for his 1st one and his microchip ;)  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
2nd Vaccs
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 09:05:13 AM »
With both of my dogs (different vets) they were done at 8 and 10 weeks and both vets recommended at least 5 days but preferred 7 days. I compromised and went out on day 6 :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
2nd Vaccs
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 10:11:16 AM »
I'm sure I was told 5-7 days after, that was Graham's Road Tracey  ;)  

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
2nd Vaccs
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 09:41:07 AM »
Jasmine had her second set of injection on monday.My vet said about a week,so can't wait till next monday and the kid's are of school so it will be fun for all. A good family outing.
Amanda, Lennox,Molly,Jasmine,Lotte & Ruby & Doogie xxxx

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
2nd Vaccs
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 10:02:07 AM »
Mine both had their second vaccs at 12 weeks and I was told to keep them in for a further week which I did ;)

I'd say choose a vet you are happy and comfortable with and go along with the advise given from there, if you are confident in your vet Tracey, I would listen to their advice and ignore all others ;)  
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
2nd Vaccs
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 10:08:20 AM »
Jimmy had his 2nd vaccs on the 8th october.  My vet said he could go out 5 days later.

I've been carrying Jimmy round on walks with Jess and I know what you mean by the squirming to get down, it was like holding a fluffy eel :D

He loves his walks now though.  I take Jess for her hour and a half up the country park, then I pop back to the house to pick up jimmy and take them both over the field opposite my house.  That way Jess doesn't miss out on her long walk cos she absolutely lives for her walks :D

I take Jimmy separately road walking too to give him individual attention.  Actually I'm in and out of the bloomin house all day :D   Can't wait till Jimmy can go the distance like Jess (up and over the mountain)

Awww bless him, I'm wishing his puppyhood away already :P  
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
2nd Vaccs
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 10:21:48 AM »
Thanks folks, I'm just back from the vet now.  He had his vaccs and the vet (different vet same practice) said he can go out in a week!  Wish they'd get their stories straight :rolleyes:  :D .  So roll on next week!!!!  He had his micro-chip done too (brave boy).  I hate when they look at you accusingly when the vet approaches with a needle :( .  He recovered in about 3 seconds though and renewed his attack on Molly's ear :lol: .  

Will be practising our lead walking round the house in earnest this week!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
2nd Vaccs
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 05:36:22 PM »
How has he been today then Tracey? Hopefully he's been okay and it was just a one off.

Give him a big kiss from me and the boys - can't wait to meet him ;)  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
2nd Vaccs
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 06:25:45 PM »
Just got back from shopping to find that Brodie's had the runs all over his crate, and he's run all through it - delicious!  Looking very sorry for himself and wanting lots of cuddles (although he always wants cuddles so not sure if that's a sign of illness :lol: ).  Fingers crossed it won't last though :rolleyes: .  Poor wee sausage. Going for lots of cocker kisses now (in case you're wondering - I have bathed him :lol: )

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
2nd Vaccs
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 08:39:06 PM »
You had me going  there for a minute :P  :D  
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Laura

• Site Member
2nd Vaccs
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 09:21:24 PM »