Author Topic: Wee Smell  (Read 655 times)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Wee Smell
« on: October 17, 2004, 12:40:54 PM »
I need advice again!!

As you know we have Ruffy our male chocolate working cocker, he's nearly 5 months old now and quite a frisky pup in the mounting department, he's also started to cock his leg on a few occasions.

Now I've started to notice a strong pee smell from him, it's not pleasent and can be quite strong.

Is this likely to be a maturing scent thing, or do you think I should get him checked out at the vet for a urine infection?

If the smell is from sexual maturation he'll be getting neutered sooner rather than later  :rolleyes:  - stinky dog!

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
    • Powerscourt Cocker Spaniels
Wee Smell
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 05:03:38 PM »
Hello

I have male boys (entire and used at stud) whose wee is the normal strength and has no discernable odour.  I would say that my boys don’t lift their legs to pee; they squat like girls and only go pee when they need to  (no scent marking).  My boys live in the house and when we go out walking (on a lead) I’ve never allowed them to stop every few feet to leave a mark.  I guess they have grown up never knowing that boy dogs usually leave a deposit every few feet whilst out on their walks and so they don’t bother.  Even when loose in the fields they will stop for one wee but no scent marking.

Last year I had a male cocker come here to mate one of my girls (he wouldn’t “work” for his owner).  He lived in a kennel at home and I have to say he wee’d an awful lot in the house.  Prior to mating the bitch he wee’d 17 times in my study during the courtship!  The smell was dreadful, so strong and the wee was honey coloured not pale straw coloured.  I decided that as he was scent marking that the wee must be extra potent in order to say “look I’ve been here” and this is why my own boys wee is normal and not smelly as they don’t feel the need to tell everyone where they have been!

I can’t say that the strength of the wee is due to sexual maturation as my boys are 2, 4 & 6 years of age but I think you can say without a doubt that the strength is coming from a determination to well and truly leave his calling card!

Chris