Author Topic: Phantom Pregnancy  (Read 957 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Phantom Pregnancy
« on: October 17, 2004, 01:16:16 PM »
I took Daisy to the vet on Friday as I was a bit concerned that her tummy had'nt gone down after her season which was about 6 weeks ago  She was crying in the night to go to the toilet, which is unusual, as she normally goes through the night and she was being sick in the morning.  Other than that she is still lively and eating ok.

The vet said she is having a phantom pregnancy and that there is milk in her teats, she also felt that she has an infection in her mammary glands as she has a temperature.  Daisy is on antibiotics and I have to take her back next Tuesday.

The vet said that there was a drug she could give her, but did not have it in stock so she would get it in for Tuesday.  She asked if Daisy could be pregnant as the drug is abortive - I said I was certain she was'nt.  

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the drug - although I probably would if someone mentioned it.  Does anyone know of a drug given for phantom pregnancies that is abortive.  I'm just a bit concerned about her having such a drug and whether it is really necessary.  

I suppose I should have asked the vet more questions at the time and will do on Tuesday, but just wondered if anyone had had any experience of this?

Thanks  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Phantom Pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 01:41:48 PM »
The only drug that we use for phantom pregnancies is called Galastop. Its an oral solution.

Most bitches won't need medical treatment for their phantom pregnancies - really just depends on the severity.  You should do a search on the board as there was a list of homeopathic and/or herbal treatments that could help ;)  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Roba

• Site Member
Phantom Pregnancy
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 06:47:31 PM »
We visited our vet on Tuesday for the same reason.we had the same concerns with Sky who was crying and howling through the night,which was disturbing Cassie and us.Sky was carrying a toy and making nests all over the place for it.
Our vet said there was a drug but he didn't like using it,he said it was better to let it run its natural course.
Paul,Cassie and Sky

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Phantom Pregnancy
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 06:46:08 PM »
Took Daisy back to the vet today (had to be changed from Tuesday) - anyway the vet is quite happy with her.  Her getting up in the night and sickness have ceased, although the mammary glands are still full of milk.

I asked the vet about the drug (yes, thanks Gill it was Galastop) and whether we could leave it and see if the milk dried up before giving her it.  She agreed to give her another couple of weeks to see if the milk dried up naturally.

I feel much better about that.
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"