Author Topic: Marrowbones..  (Read 684 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Marrowbones..
« on: October 20, 2004, 09:25:44 PM »
I have a fresh, raw marrowbone in the fridge, obtained gratis from the local wholesale butcher - but I am not sure how and when to feed it to Molo  :rolleyes:

It has what I think is quite a bit of marrow left in it; its about 4 inches long and 1 inch in diameter at the widest point (the BONE, girls!) and completely full of marrow.

I have searched previous threads and believe I should give it to him after his 'main meal' - but should I restrict how long he has it for? Also, how long do they last in the fridge - can I take it from him and give it back the next day?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Marrowbones..
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 09:48:13 PM »
Marrowbones will last for a couple of days at least if kept in the fridge. You might want to restrict how long you leave Milo with a marrowbone to begin with to see how his tummy copes with it - some dogs get the runs if they eat too much of the marrow at one time. I also make sure to trim off any surplus fat on bones as sometimes this can cause tummy upsets too. I'm sure Milo will love his bone - ours go absolutely mad for them :lol:

Jane
Jane

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Marrowbones..
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 10:17:32 PM »
Make very good friends with this butcher:) Wwhere I am you cant get a bone for love nor money, have to get mum to buy them from the farm shop.

Have to agree with Jane as to restricting the amount of time Molo is left with the bone when its full of marrow, runs the bum of the wee things its so rich. Once the marrow is gone, dont be throwing it out as they still enjoy having a good old chew. And rinse it off before you put it in the fridge if Molo has had it outside, I didnt one day and found that ants also love bones :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Marrowbones..
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 10:26:56 PM »
Make very good friends with this butcher:) Wwhere I am you cant get a bone for love nor money, have to get mum to buy them from the farm shop.

I intend to! I walked in and asked whether they had any; he asked how many I wanted - when i said one, he opened a huge box, took one out and gave it to me, refusing my offer of cash  :D

And rinse it off before you put it in the fridge if Molo has had it outside, I didnt one day and found that ants also love bones :)

If I let Molo outside with it he will bury it  :lol: He buried and dug up the same Bonio biscuit 6 or 7 times today - hes got favourite spots in the garden, and I think hes got one stashed in each now  :rolleyes:

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club