Author Topic: Worming  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Worming
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 01:12:55 PM »
I use Panacur 10% worming liquid.  The directions for routine worming for this particular product are as follows:

Puppies under 6 months should be routinely wormed daily over 3 consecutive days at 2, 5, 8  and 12 weeks of age  .  Frequency is then reduced unless the pup is housed in kennels.  

At 6 months of age and over -  dogs should be wormed 2 - 4 times a year (a single dose).  More frequent treatments of 6 - 8 weeks are recommended for dogs in kennels.

edited: to correct spelling
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
    • Powerscourt Cocker Spaniels
Worming
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 01:14:03 PM »
with Program (worming & flea treatment) for ever more

Hi Tracey J

So far as I'm aware Program is for the control of fleas only and is not a wormer.  Progam works by sterilising the fleas so that the eggs they produce (which subsequently hatch) are incapable of reproduction.  This leads the absence of fleas in the household because they die out due to not being able to reproduce.  For every one flea you find on a dog you can just about guarantee that there are another hundred lurking in the carpets and bedding frequented by the dog.  Fleas don’t live on dogs they visit them to feed!

As Program does not kill fleas and if a new flea is encountered then a suitable flea treatment (to kill the flea) should be used or you can wait for the flea to continue it’s natural life cycle of eating to breed and then producing sterile baby fleas!

There is a new (well relatively new) product now called Stronghold, which does kill fleas, mange, lice, ear mites and roundworms.  This is a monthly spot on treatment.

Chris  

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Worming
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 01:41:33 PM »
Sorry, should have been clearer, it's Program Plus I use, which is a combined wormer/flea treatment.  There was a sticker over the word 'plus' :rolleyes:  :D .
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Worming
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 05:42:56 PM »
OK, so I've got the message that Molo should be wormed more often than he has been. In which case, should I buy the wormer from a veterinary pharmacy and dose him myself, or go back to my vet and insist, or change vets?  :unsure:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Worming
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2004, 06:33:18 PM »
OK, so I've got the message that Molo should be wormed more often than he has been. In which case, should I buy the wormer from a veterinary pharmacy and dose him myself, or go back to my vet and insist, or change vets?  :unsure:
I think if I was you Rachel - I'd go and talk to my vet. Explain what you've heard here and see what s/he says. It may be that they didn't explain themself very well and that you have a misunderstanding.

Your relationship with your vet is an important one and unless you have any other concerns and also have somewhere else to go to - then it's worth trying to keep the relationship going.

You can buy Drontal plus online and I have done in the past, but I got my last lot from my vet at an excellent price. I paid £54 for both boys to be boostered and to have a full years supply of Drontal each - so not bad. ;)  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
Worming
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2004, 08:51:01 PM »
Hi Tracey J

Sorry, should have been clearer, it's Program Plus I use, which is a combined wormer/flea treatment. There was a sticker over the word 'plus'

Ah, now I can see where the worming comes into the equation!   Thanks for the clarification :o

Have you found the product good?  The worming element of the Program Plus is fairly new (I think?)

Chrissy

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Worming
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2004, 08:53:00 AM »
Chrissy Posted on Oct 21 2004, 08:51 PM
Have you found the product good? The worming element of the Program Plus is fairly new (I think?)

Hi Chrissy

I have used if from day one with Molly (she's 16 months now) and have never been bothered with fleas or worms.  How much of that is due to not coming into contact with infected areas, and how much is due to the pills I'm not sure :rolleyes: , but it's the one my vet recommends and I now use it for Brodie too.  I'll keep going with it unless anything happens to make me lose faith in it I think :D .  I fully admit to knowing very little about the medication, but it's been great so far (fingers crossed :D ).
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
Worming
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2004, 12:22:54 PM »
Thanks for the info. Tracey J, it's much appreciated  :)