Author Topic: Metacam Liquid?  (Read 2956 times)

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Metacam Liquid?
« on: October 30, 2004, 07:23:16 PM »
Is anyone else's dog taking Metacam liquid or any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory?

Scully has been on a daily dose of it since she was 18 months old and she is now nearly 8, for hip dysplasia (and possible, though not confirmed, elbow dysplasia).

My vet told me that there can be long term risks with taking a long term prescription of it - especially with the liver and kidneys. However I am on the continuous care programme with the company who produce Metacam and they say there are no risks (well they would....)

I just wondered if anyone else has had long term experience that they could share with me?

The alternatives to taking Metacam are pretty much non-existant for Scully so she has to stay on it but I do worry. I don't want to add to her health problems  :(  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 08:08:23 PM »
My old boy Brook was on Metacam for arthritis.  I know long term use can be damaging to the liver but I had him blood tested every 6 months to make sure his kidney and liver functions were still okay.  I was actually able to get the dose down to about once a week and then I started him on green lipped mussell supplements and was able to stop the Metacam altogether.  

I'm not sure how severe Scully's problem is in terms of pain, but do you think she would manage on maybe a dose every second day? Obviously though her comfort has got to be the priority, so she may have to stay on a daily dose.  If you haven't done so already, you could maybe have her blood tested to check her functions. At least that way you will be able to monitor the situation
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 10:35:11 PM »
Gunnar was put onto metacam for arthritis when he was eight. I was very worried about using it because I had read some terrible stories but in our case the benefits outweighed possible side effects. Thankfully like Gill I was able to cut down the dosage to keep him at comfort level. Long term effects I cant help with as unfortunately he died age 10 of a heart tumour :( What I can say is that he was monitored by the vet (every other bottle was only prescribed after a consultation) and that when he did die his liver and kidneys were fine. And the metacam had nothing to do with the tumour of the heart
Caroline and Alfie

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 08:52:09 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

I tried green lipped mussel, chrondroitin and glucosamine before the metacam and again during but none seemed to help.  :(

Scully is on a daily dose of Metacam and we have tried several times over the years to reduce the dose but notice immediate pain whenever we've done that...so the dose has gone back up again. She's on the maximum allowed (1 ml for every kilo of her bodyweight)  :(

I have never had her blood tested though. I will talk to the vet about that when I see him on Wednesday (not a dog related visit really - cat with a sore on his tail and another cat with a gungy eye!).

I'll let you know what he says. Unfortunately it looks like she will be on the dose for life but I'm worrying that doing so might shorten her life.  :(

Thanks again.

Edited to add...Scully also wears a bioflow collar - you never know it could help!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 10:42:34 AM »
I'll let you know what he says. Unfortunately it looks like she will be on the dose for life but I'm worrying that doing so might shorten her life. 

It might but it might not. I know a dog whos been on Metacam for years and years and he recently had a blood test before being giving a G/A and his liver and kidneys were both fine. It just comes down to the quality of life the pet would have off treatment. Its better to have them comfortable for a shorter period of time than in pain in order for them to live longer.  Although I did lose Brook to liver failure, it wasn't caused by the Metacam. He had acute hepatitis which he just couldn't fight :(

Try not to worry too much(says the worlds no 1 worrier when it comes to her doggies ;) ) Have a word with your vet and definitely get her blood tested. There are treatments out there that can help the liver - Brook got put on one called Hepatosyl. Its a nutritional supplement - am not sure whether using that in conjuction with the Metacam may help take the load off the liver. Another thing you can ask the vet ;)  

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline PennyB

Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 08:26:05 PM »
Have heard that hydrotherapy can really help as well
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 09:15:20 PM »
Hi Penny

My vet said hydrotherapy would be a great benefit but I live in the Channel Islands and as far as I am aware there is no such facility down here.  :(

I did used to take her swimming regularly in the sea but all our beaches have steep climbs down to them which was doing her as much harm as the swimming was doing good so I only do it occasionally now.

We're planning to build a new house next year and hope that when that is finished we will be able to put in a heated outdoor pool of our own which Scully will of course be allowed to use! :D

Thanks for your message.  :)  

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 04:49:43 PM »
This post is of great interest to me.  Piper has been on a daily dose of Metacam since she was diagnosed with HD earlier this year.  To be honest the possible side effects have been playing on my mind recently and I was planning on paying a visit to my vet to ask if we should think about reducing her dose.  BUT, at the end of the day the most important thing for me is that she enjoys the best quality of life that she can and Metacam has certainly worked wonders for her - she could not even walk without limping prior to taking it :(   So as much as I would hate to think that her life span would be reduced due to taking this drug, I'm not sure I would want her to live a longer life in pain - if this makes sense.

Additionally, Piper has 1 capsule of Synoquin daily.  She was originally on two and this was reduced to 1 with no noticable effects on her.

Piper does go to hydrotherapy 3 times a week which she loves and I think it has been of great benefit to her in building up her muscles and managing her weight - which unfortunately is another issue I contend with on a daily basis.  

Following on from this post I went out today and bought some green lipped mussel but how much should I give her each day?

Thanks,

Louise
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 05:30:52 PM »
Very interesting post, as I have a cat on Metacam (he broke his pelvis in 2 places 6 years ago when hit by a car).  I have to say he is so much more active since he went on it, as before he was barely going out and struggled to get over the fence etc.  

I was unaware that there were any side effects, at least the vet didn't inform us of them.

Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 05:55:07 PM »
Very interesting post, as I have a cat on Metacam (he broke his pelvis in 2 places 6 years ago when hit by a car).  I have to say he is so much more active since he went on it, as before he was barely going out and struggled to get over the fence etc.  

I was unaware that there were any side effects, at least the vet didn't inform us of them.
To be honest my vet did not inform me of any side effects either.  If the manufacturers are saying that there are none then (as in Tobycat's earlier post) then I suppose vets have to go by that.

I'm pleased to hear that it is helping your cat.  It does appear to be very effective.

When we first found out about Piper, our vet put her onto some drug (can't remember the name of it - but it was a tablet).  However, when I went to the University of Liverpool for  a consultation, they said to take her off of that immediately saying that Metacam was a far better alternative all round.

Louise

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 08:16:00 PM »
It was my vet who warned me about the possible adverse effects of long term use but the people who phone me up regularly from the Metacam Continuous Care programme say that there has not been any scientific proof to substantiate the theory of serious side effects. However they have said that they don't believe that Metacam will be strong enough for Scully as she gets older and in more pain.   :(

She has already been taking the top dosage of it for over six years now  :(  

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 08:21:40 AM »
It was my vet who warned me about the possible adverse effects of long term use but the people who phone me up regularly from the Metacam Continuous Care programme say that there has not been any scientific proof to substantiate the theory of serious side effects. However they have said that they don't believe that Metacam will be strong enough for Scully as she gets older and in more pain.   :(

She has already been taking the top dosage of it for over six years now  :(
Oh, poor Scully :(   What is 'the top dosage'?  

Can you remember how much green lipped mussel you gave to Scully each day?  I'd like to try Piper on that as well.

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 08:47:21 AM »
http://www.1stvitality.co.uk/az/green_lipp...cats_horses.htm

If you go to the above website there is a table recommending dosages of green lipped mussel extract. I can't remember exactely what I gave Scully as it was a long time ago now.

The Glucosamine / Chrondroitin tablets that we tried were from Healthspan VetVits as advised by my vet.

The thing we have found helps the most apart from the Metacam is her Bioflow collar. I didn't think it did make much difference until it got soaked one day and I left it off her whilst it dried. She immediately seized up and limped badly again. I thought it could be just coincidence but the same thing happened again a few months later. These days she wears it constantly - as the vet says it can't do any harm and could be doing some good.  :)

The Metacam people (and my vet too) say the top dose is 1ml per each kilo of bodyweight daily (think I got that right   :unsure: )

Scully sends Piper a big lick!  :)

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 08:51:50 AM »
Just a thought.

I'm not plugging the programme because I've only just joined it this summer but if anyone else wants to know more about the Metacam Continuous Care programme their phone number is 0800 389 0729.

I was referred to them by my vet (I think you have to go through your vet) and I had to sign a form saying I was happy to talk to them. They then sent me a package including leaflets, a video and money off Metacam vouchers.

Edited to add that they phone me about once every 6 - 8 weeks to check on Scully  :)  

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Metacam Liquid?
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 09:33:21 AM »
Thanks for all of that information Tobycat  :D

Think I will phone the number you have provided.  With the information you have given Piper is also on the top dosage of Metacam.

I had not heard of a 'bioflow' collar either so I will look into that.

Thanks again.

Louise