Author Topic: How To Teach A Reliable Recall  (Read 71301 times)

Offline suespaniel

Re: as some of you seem to be struggling with recall
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »
Hi Mark thank you so much for this I am going to ask aquestion, which, may be stupid, but here goes!...what, if someone else is also, out there in the open for example using the same whistle, would my dog then go running to that whistle? thanks Sue

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »
Not if your dog is already running to you. :D
Also for me it is the way you blow it the dog understands too.
When my dogs hear the whistle they look to me.
If they heard someone else with the whistle they would still look to me.
(Apart from Bayley who is partially sighted who when he hears it far away sets off towards the nearest human sometimes, but soon reorients to the direction the sound is coming from which is part of the reason I use rapid multiple pips.)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 03:46:41 PM »
This is very similar to what I did with Millie but over a longer time frame in the early parts. Between steps 5 and 6 would you just take the long line off to practice or would you keep it off for the whole time/walk? The problem I have with Millie is that she just constantly wants to go hunting so I'm constantly recalling her or I have to let her go too far and then she gets hyped up and out of control  :-\.

I'm going to keep her on the flexi lead for at least a year and then see if she's any calmer when outside. Maybe I could make the pilgrimage up to see you and get some proper training   :shades:.

Millie

Offline suespaniel

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
 :blink: thank you Mark

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 10:07:41 PM »
Thanks Mark - I've been guilty of showing Penny the treat when I call her ("Come see"....short for "come see what I've got") which I now realise was a bit daft as she sometimes  looks to see if I have something before deciding whether to come or not. Since reading your tips yesterday I call her with no treat on display, whistle as she gets closer, then treat. It MAY have been my imagination, but when out today I do feel she was checking on me more when just walking along, or snuffling about which was great. :blink:

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Re: How To Teach A Reliable Recall
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 10:21:38 PM »

Thanks Mark, that's brillaint - I've stickied your post for future reference, I'm sure it will come in handy for all of us.  :shades:

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 10:31:07 AM »
Thanks for the info, i shall certainly try and put this into practice...... could anyone tell me what livercake is and does anyone have the receipe for it, I dont think we will be able to buy it out here in France oh and tuna cake as well please. thanks

Offline black taz

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »
There's lots of recipes for Livercake if you do a google search, but the basic ingredients are blended liver, flour & egg (cannot remember the quantities as i just usually chuck it all in rather than weighting).  It sticks something chronic!

I prefer to make Pilchard cake (much cheaper than tuna cake and has a stronger smell).  I use 2 cans of pilchard in tomato sauce (standard tin size), 2 eggs, grated carrot (optional) and a couple crushed garlic cloves (again optional) and self raising flour.  Break up the pilchard first, then add other ingredients.  Add enough flour to make the consistency of normal cakes (ie: fairy cakes), pour into baking tray and cook for 20 - 30 minutes.  I then cut it up and freeze it in slices.  This still smells but less so than liver and certainly easier to clean up after - the dogs seem to prefer it as well.

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 01:49:22 PM »
 :blink:Hi thank you for that, will try it,  do you bake it at the same temp as you do for cakes?

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 03:02:35 PM »
Thanks for the info, i shall certainly try and put this into practice...... could anyone tell me what livercake is and does anyone have the receipe for it, I dont think we will be able to buy it out here in France oh and tuna cake as well please. thanks

I've done the livercake and tuna bread from this page:

http://www.itsaspringthing.co.uk/willows%20kitchen.htm

The liver one really does smell as disgusting as you might think!  :020:

Love the tuna one - really quick.  :D

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline jackieant

• charlie
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 06:58:01 PM »
sorry but i have another question, well 2 really....

firstly, i now have my acme 110.5 whistle, and the lady in the shop advised.....
one long blast to stop the dog and then 2 or 3 short pips for recall..... do people agree with that and if so going back to marks brilliant advice, which one do i teach first...... the stop the dog from running too far or the recall method that mark explained earlier?

secondly, we go on hols in 2 weeks and charlie will not be coming with us :'(
is it worth starting any of this training or leave till we get back :-\

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 08:37:41 PM »
For an emergency recall I use continuous rapid pips until the dog comes to me, this can be a lot more than two or three.
There is an example of both the stop whistle (which is one blast) and recall whistle I use here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5au3M1AqoY

Should you start nowbefore your hols? Yes of course, the sooner you start the better.
Personally i would teach a recall as a preference to a stop whistle.
Hope that answers your questions.
Mark

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 11:45:01 PM »
just one question - what about a dog that won't tolerate having its collar held  ::)

Max would more than likely bite your hand off if you tried that with him  ph34r

I can hold his collar ( now after months of desensitising ) but he won't allow anyone else to ( same for when he has something he shouldn't i can remove it safely but no-one else unless they swap it for a few fingers  :005: )

His recall is fine with me but then i am with him.....when i am not its not so good  ::)
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline black taz

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 08:09:49 AM »
Daunting are you like me and do all the training/rewarding - if so, i would encourage other members of the family to go through the same desensitizing process that you went through - if they are not prepared to then ask them to walk him on lead. 

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 12:57:31 PM »
just one question - what about a dog that won't tolerate having its collar held  ::)

Max would more than likely bite your hand off if you tried that with him  ph34r

I can hold his collar ( now after months of desensitising ) but he won't allow anyone else to ( same for when he has something he shouldn't i can remove it safely but no-one else unless they swap it for a few fingers  :005: )

His recall is fine with me but then i am with him.....when i am not its not so good  ::)
Then work damn hard on keeping him with you by rewarding like crazy or if on a long line keep hold of that.
All plans have to be adaptable to each individual, and taking the dogs collar is only mentioned as a safety measure.
If that doesn't work for you then maybe try one of the above suggestions.
I do not take my dogs collars at all anymore because I don't need to.