Author Topic: What is this all about?  (Read 840 times)

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
What is this all about?
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:44 AM »
Just a question to try to answer my curiosity!

Ollie had a bed in the kitchen, just a plastic basket filled with blankets. At the minute Ollie keeps dragging his blankets out of the bed, brings it into the front, whilst making whining noises, sort of digs it under himself (he kinda looks like he's going to start humping it!) and then lies down and starts chewing it.

He also loves to chew on my dressing gown and fluffy bed socks, again whilst whining and sometimes parades round with it!

It only seems to be with sort of soft fluffy things!!! I love it when he drags his blankets in though he looks so cute doing it!!!

Any explanations because it baffles me!

L&O x

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: What is this all about?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »
No explanation other than to say Maggie does and always has done similar - she loves anything soft that she can carry about, whining and then settle down on... sometimes for a good mouth (she's never ripped anything - just mouthed it). Blankets, socks and her favourite is her cuddly dog I gave her when I first bought her home...  Maybe a cocker thing  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:09:18 AM »
OMG! I reeeally hopes someone knows why they do this because Jerry has done it since he was teeny!!! We are just used to it as whenever he is getting 'settled' he goes and gets his blanket and lays chewing it but whenever we get visitors they ask why he does it. I tend to think it is a comfort thing??

Michelle and Jerry x
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:45:14 AM »
its so cute isn't it! I too though of a comfort thing but just wondered if anyone else had any other explanation - Ollie has always done it but not as much as he is at the minute. I put his blankets back this morning and 2 minutes later he was dragging them back out!!

He did use to have a cuddly toy right from when we got him but he destoyred it when he was about 1. I did think today about getting him something like a cuddly toy again but he usually destoys them to pull the stuffing out. So i thought of getting him a babies comfort blanket I saw whilst shopping for my expecting friend - its one of them that has a small bear on and a nice fleecy blanket! I think he'd like that!!!

L&O x

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:36:50 PM »
My Grace does this i had put it down to her teething  :huh: she is all ways chewing something at the moment usally the bottoms of my jeans  :005:
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline dogsgalore

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:34:29 PM »
Skye too, and my labrador.   :lol2:
Kath, Skye plus Jock and Millie

[img]

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:57 AM »
My Grace does this i had put it down to her teething  :huh: she is all ways chewing something at the moment usally the bottoms of my jeans  :005:

I hope Ollie isn't going through another teething stage!!!! I don't think I could cope!

L&O x

Offline Sue E

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:19:38 PM »
Ozzy does this, always has!  The blanket is now so full of holes and is so raggedy I don't let him put it on the sofa, it stays firmly on the floor!  He's also got a huge cushion he lies on at night and you can hear him sometimes trying to pull it out of his corner and through the doorway!  Doesn't matter how many times you put them back, they're back out again in a matter of minutes.  I daren't throw the blanket away in case he starts on something else!

He's also very interested in socks and when I'm removing clothes from the washer he tries to crawl underneath me in case I drop any  >:D  and then he's off into his bed with them. 

Offline black taz

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »
my lab pup drags blankets around the house, whilst Taz happily shuffles the cusions around him to get them in the right position! :luv: