Author Topic: Growls when sniffed  (Read 3262 times)

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Growls when sniffed
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 09:04:48 PM »
Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick here and it's a typo..... hope it is  ;)
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 09:11:35 PM »
Philepo, you are in york aren't you?
So am i.
PM me if you would like to meet up and maybe i could help you first hand. :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline philepo

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »
Oh dear... yes I did mean stroke!

He seems a bit calmer when I am next to him and I can also check his behaviour if I see the lips curl!

On the subject of whether this is normal: He has begun to do this more often over the past year and so far I've done nothing. Other dogs also correct nosey dogs occationally yes, but I feel my dog does it far too often now so I must act.

If your dog growled at every other dog sniffing it wouldn't you feel the need to do something?

By the way, how do I check his glands? I do add extra roughage to his meals in the form of raw veg. Is this good or bad?

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 07:41:11 PM »

If your dog growled at every other dog sniffing it wouldn't you feel the need to do something?

Yes I warn the owner that if there dog carries on sniffing, mines gonna tell it off - some dogs are just rude and have no manners and I actually want to tell them to get lost so not surprised my dog does.    3 is Indie's number, the first sniff she lets them with a look over her shoulder  keeping an eye on them whilst they are sniffing, if they then go for another sniff she sits down to stop them and then if they are really stupid and try again after this second attempt she shouts at them and they then get the message.    ::)     Its all so predictable now, that when shes sat down I always shout to the owner that mines going to tell your dog off if it carries on.   

Its usually young boy dogs who do this to her - don't know if there is a connection but the girls don't tend to want to keep sniffing her after the first sniff.     

It hasn't happened for a while as if its dogs we don't know, I try to keep moving and get her away from the situation - sometimes hard when they are so persistent and the owners don't seem to care what they're dogs are upto.   

PS Is it the same dogs your dog is doing this to or completely different dogs everytime, the only reason I ask is its young adults upto 1 years old that tend to be the main offenders   :-\,  and is it on the first greeting sniff that he reacts or when they don't stop - theres usually a pattern or some sort of signal that can pre-warn you. 

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 12:38:03 PM »
I have a Weimaraner that really doesn't like meeting and greeting other dogs on-lead and she can be funny off lead - she was attacked when she was on-lead as a pup so that possibly is part of the problem, and she has other issues (she's a rescue) that I've worked really hard on. She's loads better now but I don't think she'll ever be totally steady sadly. However, I would never try and make her put up with situations she isn't comfortable in, as that only makes her worse and really stresses her out. Like Jeanette, I tell the other dog's owner she isn't good onlead and ask them to call their dog away or if it's off lead I watch her like a hawk as I know her really well now and if it's looking iffy, I recall her and explain to the other owner that she can be funny or if her body language is looking ok, and the other dog looks like a good bet (a steady confident dog always keeps her calm), I let her meet and give her gentle reassurance to remind her and tell her she's a good girl all the while she's being calm. Other than that I might just jolly her along and get her to focus on me and stay with me and reward her with praise and a treat for staying calm, which overtime has helped her lots..

Likewise I would never ever assume it's ok for my dogs to go up to another dog that's onlead and whilst you can't avoid it happening 100% of the time - I might not see another dog in the forest for example until it's a bit late - as a rule, I don't let them go up to onlead dogs and recall them back to me.

If I was you I'd focus on getting a really good recall and if you see situations (other dogs) that you think might be an issue for him, play games with him to get him to focus on you and change direction to avoid it.

I understand that you would like a dog that's happy with other dogs sniffing and in his space but you won't achieve anything by forcing him into these situations - other than a stressed dog :-\ Why not take Top Barks (he's an APDT registered trainer) up on his offer to help you learn how to help your dog, I know I would ;)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 06:34:07 PM »

By the way, how do I check his glands? I do add extra roughage to his meals in the form of raw veg. Is this good or bad?

Thanks for the replies.

Take him to the vet. It would be wise to ask the vet to rule out a physical issues that may be causing this problem as other people have mentioned. For example if your dog has a back problem and perhaps it hurts when he has interaction with other dogs then he would be wary of them coming near him. I work with rescued horses and probably over 90% of the ones that have come from private owners due to 'behavioural' problems have actually had a physical problem causing it. I really can't stress enough to get your dog checked over by a vet.

Millie

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 08:12:46 PM »

Yes I used to be embarrased that Ben would grumble, curl his lip or lunge at other dogs, I felt I was being judged as a bad owner for having an 'agressive' dog  ;)

However since reading some of the books reccomended by folks on here such as Jean Donaldson I have figured out he is just being a dog, a bit short on patience maybe, but really only telling other less respectful dogs off.  I do however warn people who let their dogs come up to Ben that he will tell them off if their dog pesters him.  Some people don't belive me and say stupid things like 'my dog only wants to say hello'  >:D Well then I just leave Ben to it.  He never bites or hurts other dogs, it just sounds fierce as he will growl and push them.  I have stopped being embarrassed, and becuase I am less anxious about it Ben has stopped telling as many dogs off, he will often just walk away, and only tell them if they continue to pester him, but it is all over very quickly once he has told them he is on his way again!!

good luck and try not to worry to much - I definately found the more anxious I was about it Ben picked up on it and was more grumbly.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »

Can only echo what Ben's Mum has said...
It really used to bother me (especially as this came immediately after she had been guarding us, which obviously was unacceptable!), but I have learned so much more about canine body language and realised that, most of the time, the other dog was actually at fault.  I have had to relax and just accept that my dog isn't highly tolerant - but she is fair.  She recently met a very bouncy, excited dog, who was just settling into her new home after 5 months in rescue kennels.... but despite her enthusiasm she was very good at communicating with other dogs and Honey launched straight into play with her.  However this morning, a very pushy Golden Lab approached her head on, and headed straight to sniff her bum, with no appeasing body language... Honey immediately woofed a reprimand.  The dog listened and backed off a little and they greeted each other with a little more respect.  ;)

What I have learned to do is to try and read Honey's body language more and call her out of situations she is looking uncomfortable with before she feels the need to growl and woof.  She's getting more confidence now, but at one time it seemed like she felt she had to stay in uncomfortable situations, and she would get more and more uncomfortable until she reacted... by calling her out of those situations (and other ones which I learned would build to a reaction) I helped her to gain confidence in her interactions with other dogs. 

Also if I see she is initially unsure of a fairly confident (and possibly a bit pushy) dog, I try to greet the dog myself first - this gives her the chance to check out the dog without its focus being on her....  ;)

Ben's Mum makes a really good point - the more anxious you are about his behaviour with other dogs, the more anxious he will become around other dogs, as he will sense your unease and think there is something to be worried about...
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »
No, I wouldn't feel the need to do something at all, :-\   by making a fuss and stroking him you are more likely to make him think there is something to worry about and therefore he will growl all the more.

I would just ignore it and walk on, usually the other dog will do the same . :blink:

Offline philepo

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
I have decided to ignore the behaviour as normal, though I don't see many other dogs reacting this way.

He's still a happy waggy cocker!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »

Yes I warn the owner that if there dog carries on sniffing, mines gonna tell it off - some dogs are just rude and have no manners and I actually want to tell them to get lost so not surprised my dog does.   

me too ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 06:17:31 PM »

Yes I warn the owner that if there dog carries on sniffing, mines gonna tell it off - some dogs are just rude and have no manners and I actually want to tell them to get lost so not surprised my dog does.   

me too ;)

and me too  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 12:47:44 PM »
I have decided to ignore the behaviour as normal, though I don't see many other dogs reacting this way.

He's still a happy waggy cocker!

I honestly think you're doing the right thing - he may become less worried about it the less you worry too iyswim!

My stroppy dog is worse at times and better at others but that's the way she is and whilst I always encourage her to relax when she meets dogs, I won't ever stop her telling other dogs she's uncomfortable with them being in her face as it only adds to her stress and makes her more worried next time.

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x