Author Topic: Yearly Booster  (Read 9534 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Yearly Booster
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 08:46:08 PM »

If anyone has had to nurse a dog with one of these disease they would definetly vaccinate their dog! :wacko:
I agree that dogs need to be vaccinated but I dont believe that they need yearly boosters and Im lucky that my vet agrees with me. Alfie has had his first year innoculations and will only be having his booster every three years apart from lepto which will be done yearly
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Louis

• Site Member
Yearly Booster
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2004, 03:16:49 PM »
This is all very interesting but very complicated :blink:  I've just looked at the receipt for louis booster and it is NOBIVAC DHPPI BOOSTER.  So is this something that he should have yearly.  I'am a bit confused :unsure:  :unsure:

Gemma&Louis

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Yearly Booster
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2004, 03:28:32 PM »
This is all very interesting but very complicated :blink:  I've just looked at the receipt for louis booster and it is NOBIVAC DHPPI BOOSTER.  So is this something that he should have yearly.  I'am a bit confused :unsure:  :unsure:

Gemma&Louis
That's the full vaccine and according to the datasheet should only need done every three years. As has been said, the Lepto component has to be done yearly ;)  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline betastorm

• Site Member
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v208/betastorm/
Yearly Booster
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2004, 04:17:27 PM »
This is all very interesting but very complicated :blink:
I agree :rolleyes:   I think I'll have to phone my vets to see what they do <_<  I always assumed it was like cats and you just took them once a year to have the jab :unsure:

Wendy
Wendy and little Molly

Offline Louis

• Site Member
Yearly Booster
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 06:22:48 PM »
Thanks for that info Gill :D  I think when his next booster is due, which won't be untill next Nov, i will have a chat with the vet about this.  At least i now know that he doesn't actually need the full booster every year, but only the component you mentioned :D

Gemma&Louis

Penel

Yearly Booster
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2004, 06:38:16 PM »
If anyone has had to nurse a dog with one of these disease they would definetly vaccinate their dog! 

The same applies to "if you have lived with a dog with auto immune disease triggered by a vaccine, you would not over vaccinate your dog".  

It is proven that vaccinating every year for every disease is not necessary - so why do it and risk over vaccinating ?

I would also like to point out that many vets would not recognise a vaccine reaction - and certainly would not report it.  Most owners do not realise that a dog being "off colour" is a vaccine reaction - thats just the smallest of reactions .....

Cockers are genetically predisposed to vaccine reactions - even David Sutton (big cheese at Intervet) has admitted this - in an article I was involved with in Dogs Today in June 2001 he admitted that cockers are more prone to reactions than some other breeds.

I'm not saying don't vaccinate, I'm saying don't over-vaccinate.

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Yearly Booster
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 07:20:16 PM »
In the past 6 months since this whole debate abou vaccines has come about we have had 4 outbreaks of Parvovirus and of the total 12 dogs we had hospitalised 6 died (4 puppies).
I know of lots of dogs (old and young) who have died of Parvovirus in the last couple of years- all have been vacced.

Many of the current strains around are not covered by the vaccine.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Yearly Booster
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2004, 08:57:35 PM »
Rather than resurrect a thread from June last year on the same subject, I have copied & pasted my reply, which reads as..........

Neneh was due for her booster, and rather than just going straight ahead and having it done, I chose to have a blood test done (titre testing) to determine the level of antibodies in her system.

Leptospirosis - is not included in titre testing as the vaccine doesn't remain in the system, so she had a shot for this.

The results were as follows:-

Hepatitis - moderate. so still covered, no need to boost.

Distemper & Parvovirus - high, definitely no need to boost.

The interesting thing is though, that Neneh was last boostered just before the mating resulting in Otis, which was November 2001, over 2 1/2 years ago!!!
I found it quite alarming that especially the levels of the Distemper & Parvo should remain so high after this length of time. My vet said that as long as she comes in contact with strains of Parvo (out on walks, meeting other dogs etc), she will probably remain covered for this for the rest of her life!

The reason I took particular interest in having this done was that I wanted to have another litter from Neneh, and whilst I wanted her to pass on protection to the puppies, I didn't want to overload her system with something she didn't possibly need.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Yearly Booster
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2004, 09:03:31 PM »
Michele - Thats really interesting - its so difficult to know what to do for the best?! :unsure:  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Penel

Yearly Booster
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2004, 12:06:58 AM »
"strains of parvovirus " erm how many do you think there are then ?!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Yearly Booster
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2004, 12:45:51 AM »

I'm sure I once read that their were two different versions of the Parvo Virus and that vaccinations only cover one of them, there is no vaccination available for the second. I do have a bad memery though, so could be completely wrong about this. :unsure:  

Penel

Yearly Booster
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2004, 11:39:06 AM »
I've been doing some searching - and it doesn't seem totally 100% clear - there is different info wherever you look - certainly it isn't a lot of strains like it is with lepto - the lepto vaccine definitely only covers a couple of strains - when there are loads around.  
Here's what I've found anyway about strains of Parvovirus ... for those of you interested in the vaccine debate there is some really good info in these links.

Virus drift is small. There are no new parvovirus strains, and the virus in the vaccine has remained essentially the same. Parvovirus vaccination provides cross immunity for all types
this is taken from
http://www.northernlight-uk.com/cyd_11.htm

http://www.ivis.org/advances/Infect_Dis_Ca...chapter_frm.asp
"Two distinct parvoviruses (CPV), are now known to infect dogs - the pathogenic CPV-2, which was recognized as a new disease of dogs and wild canines in 1978, and the "minute virus of canines" (MVC, CPV-1) reported by Binn in 1970"

http://www.topdogboarding.com/vaccine_controversy.htm  

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:_TD...arvovirus&hl=en

http://www.danebytes.com/vaccine_article.htm

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.js...tm/bc/24100.htm  "Toy Poodles and Cocker Spaniels appear at decreased risk for developing the enteric disease. Mortality associated with canine parvovirus infection is reported to be 16-35%. "
" current vaccines protect dogs against all strains of the virus"

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/vpb560/Handouts/parvo_canine.pdf

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Yearly Booster
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2004, 12:41:24 PM »
"strains of parvovirus " erm how many do you think there are then ?!
By looking at your latest reply Penel, it seems you've answered your own question. I only repeated what my vet told me  :)  

Penel

Yearly Booster
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2004, 03:53:20 PM »
Well, no, because if you read all the links, they all say different things !  I tend to listen to what my vet tells me and then do my own research.  Vets aren't always right you know !

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Yearly Booster
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2004, 04:26:48 PM »
I'm sure we are all aware that vets aren't always right. Having read Michele's posts over the years I'd take her word over my vets in most things. :)

This link suggests that CPV1 is not covered by vaccinations. It isn't where I originally read this, so they are not alone in their claims.( There isn't a date on the article so who's to know if newer vaccines have been found since that do cover CPV1 )

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/parvovirus.htm

I'd agree there is a lot of conflicting opinions around and so it's hard to know what to do for the best really. :unsure: