Author Topic: Yearly Booster  (Read 9535 times)

Offline motobrox

• Site Member
Yearly Booster
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2004, 09:40:56 AM »
I was told by my breeder to have the first booster, then every three years after. Apparently we are introducing needless toxin in to our dogs bodies, whilst lining the vets pockets?

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Yearly Booster
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2004, 12:22:06 AM »
Well, no, because if you read all the links, they all say different things !  I tend to listen to what my vet tells me and then do my own research.  Vets aren't always right you know !
Can you tell just what it is that I have said to offend you?

If you read back you will see that I have done the same as yourself, ie. made an informed decision and considered other possibilities before boostering.

I haven't actually disagreed with any of your information, merely repeated what my vet (who I have a good relationship with) informed me.

Oh by the way, I haven't got a ring through my nose  ;)  :)

Penel

Yearly Booster
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2004, 11:00:54 AM »
Can you tell just what it is that I have said to offend you?

If you read back you will see that I have done the same as yourself, ie. made an informed decision and considered other possibilities before boostering.

I haven't actually disagreed with any of your information, merely repeated what my vet (who I have a good relationship with) informed me.

You haven't "offended " me.  I just don't "repeat what the vet told me" and assume that this is correct - I research it myself and find out - thats what I meant when I said vets aren't always right - I know this to my cost.

Oh by the way, I haven't got a ring through my nose   

I beg your pardon ?!  :blink:  

Sue H

Yearly Booster
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2004, 09:21:45 PM »
Well, I get Barley and Bramble boosted year after year  ...

At the Blue Cross at Burford we were supposed to be getting two litters of puppies from Ireland (not sure if N or S) into our Southampton Centre last week .. well, they arrived, but they were already dying because they had Parvo .. now, our Southampton Centre is in isolation because of that... puppies have already died and maybe they all will .....

At the Blue Cross, we take in canine strays (albeit until the local Dog Warden can come) and also dogs and cats from homes who are not vaccinated.  We try as best we can to keep them isolated, but in many Centres, such as Burford, we do not have the facilities to keep dogs, cats, kittens and puppies in the sort of isolation that Parvo demands ... that, and Feline Influenza, Aids and other transmittable diseases are endemic amongst strays and other itinerant animals and so these outbreaks keep on happening ....

For people who think that we have eradicated Parvo - well, I think that what I have described above is probably just the tip of the iceberg - animals coming in from another country whose vaccination records are sort of 5% - you don't have to look beyone the EU for that !  Now we have opened up the borders and anyone can bring a pet into the country from wherever, are we going to get reports of rabies ?? It can be carried by foxes or squirrels as well as domesticated pets .. It is not the responsible pet owner that we are looking at, rather the owner who catches their cat and smugges it into the UK and so it goes on ....

Penel

Yearly Booster
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2004, 09:27:52 PM »
I don't think anyone on here - certainly not me - is suggesting we shouldn't vaccinate at all.
I am saying don't over vaccinate.
It is proven that annual boosters for all diseases are not necessary.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Yearly Booster
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2004, 10:03:07 PM »
So when are boarding kennels going to begin to recognise this?

We are having to board Molo overnight at short notice next week due to a close family members funeral - if he had not had his annual booster, regardless of whether it was 'needed' or not, he would not be accepted by any local kennels  :(  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Yearly Booster
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2004, 07:40:48 AM »

Exactly Rachel - for those of us who board their dogs periodically - not vaccinating is not an option.

Diseases like Parvo and Kennel Cough are rife, not sure I saw anyone suggest Parvo had been eradicated, but at the end of the day vaccination comes down to personal choice. Responsible onwers such as COL members will always want to do the best for their dogs, problem is we're up against those who don't behave responsibly who think it's OK not to have vaccinated dogs as such vaccination will always be necessary to protect our fluffballs.

Perhaps the blood testing screening should be the norm and accepted throughout the whole canine community with the results going on the vacc record where the vacc goes IF a top up is necessary.

Just my two penn'orth :ph34r:  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Yearly Booster
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2004, 07:43:48 AM »

We are having to board Molo overnight at short notice next week due to a close family members funeral - if he had not had his annual booster, regardless of whether it was 'needed' or not, he would not be accepted by any local kennels  :(
I don't know about the kennels near you, but there doesn't seem to be that problem here. If you are vaccinating according to the manufacturers protocol, then the dog is fully vaccinated, regardless of whether its the alternate vaccines that you give or full annual boosters . The vaccine we use at work is Vanguard and the manufacturers state that an annual booster should be given so if I decided against giving Dallas that booster next month, the vet would have to state that he isn't fully covered. However, next month Dallas will only be getting the Nobivac Lepto as he had his 1st full booster this year. According to those manufacturers , he will be fully covered so the vet has to go with that. As long as you have a signed, up-to-date vaccination certificate, the kennels shouldn't have a problem.

I've just read through that again and I don't think I've put it very well - its too early in the morning :lol:  I know what I'm trying to say :P  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Penel

Yearly Booster
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2004, 10:49:13 AM »
Intervet are supposed to be informing local authorities, who will in turn inform local kennels - that if dogs are vaccinated with their vaccines, then yearly boosters for every disease are not necessary.   I have their email somewhere will try and locate it for you.

I also do know some kennels that accept dogs who have been given homeopathic nosodes and not conventionally vaccinated.

Parvo is not rife - please let's not exaggerate and frighten people.  My local vets has seen it 3 times in 12 years, he has never seen distemper, he has seen lepto a couple of times.

Don't forget, even Intervet / David Sutton admits that cockers are more prone to vaccine reactions than some other breeds.

I agree with Pammy - titre testing should be accepted as the norm - and hopefully it soon will be - its very common in the US now.  

Gill - I know what you're trying to say   :lol:  !

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Yearly Booster
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2004, 12:33:49 PM »

Parvo is not rife - please let's not exaggerate and frighten people.  My local vets has seen it 3 times in 12 years, he has never seen distemper, he has seen lepto a couple of times.

This comment concerns me. The occurance of infecton in dogs may have declined since the early 80's when it was at epidemic proportions. But the infection is still out there. The number of cases being controled by the use of the vacination programes.?

Saying that Parvo is not rife contradicts the information i have been given over the years both from professionals and owners who have cared for infected dogs.
Although your vet may have not witnessed many cases, this may not be the case for different areas of the country, i do know that only 5 years ago they were warning of a distemper and Parvo epidemic in the totnes region of Devon due to people failing to innoculate.

I too do not want to scare people, but i also think it dangerous to become complacent.

As Penel has sated, ensureing your dog is covered, however often you decide a booster is required, is essential.
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Penel

Yearly Booster
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2004, 07:04:55 PM »
The word "rife" is what concerned me.  Kennel cough is common, not rife.  Parvo is certainly not rife.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Yearly Booster
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2004, 07:58:45 PM »
The word "rife" is what concerned me.  Kennel cough is common, not rife.  Parvo is certainly not rife.
If you want to be pedantic then common will suffice. However the definition of Rife is:

In widespread existence, practice, or use; increasingly prevalent.
Abundant or numerous.

It is not fair to let people believe that either is rare or uncommon because they are not. Depending where you live will also affect how common/rife these dreadful illnesses are.

If your vet has only seen 3 cases of Parvo in 12 years - than that suggests he is very lucky!  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline lindsey

• Site Member
    • Soroden Cockers
Yearly Booster
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2004, 10:25:40 PM »
I think alot of cases of Parvovirus are not actually diagnosed, as they show typical haemorrhagic gastroenteritis symptoms and tend to go down hill so quickly that there is no time for diagnostics or are just mis-diagnosed.
Lindsey, Sophie, Rosie, Molly, Gypsy, Aimee, Harry and Ellie

Offline PennyB

Yearly Booster
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2004, 10:46:36 PM »

Actually summer before last we had a large number of cases of parvo in our area (Cardiff and Barry). It is a problem in some areas but not in all

And if your dog swims in rivers it is important I feel to keep up to date with the lepto element. My vet advocates alternate years for parvo and every year for lepto in our area.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Penel

Yearly Booster
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2004, 10:29:46 AM »
I think alot of cases of Parvovirus are not actually diagnosed, as they show typical haemorrhagic gastroenteritis symptoms and tend to go down hill so quickly that there is no time for diagnostics or are just mis-diagnosed

Actually they are often misdiagnosed as Parvo when in fact it is haemorraghic gastroenteritis or campylobacter.  Parvo can only be correctly diagnosed by a lab.

The lepto vaccine available at most vets only lasts 6 - 9 months anyway - so don't be fooled into thinking your dog is covered for a full year - unless you are having the new lepto vaccine just out, which is guaranteed to last 12 months - its made by Nobivac I think and is called Lepto 2.