Author Topic: Howling Question  (Read 857 times)

Offline Ellie

• Site Member
Howling Question
« on: June 08, 2010, 06:30:19 PM »
My mum's elderly neighbours have a male cocker, probably about 8/9 years old.  The cocker and the male neighbour were very close, the cocker spent a lot of time sitting on his knee and they absolutely dote on him. 

The male neighbour had heart failure and died about 10 days ago.  My mum told me that she heard the cocker howling for ages today and that she'd never heard him howl before.  So, I said I'd ask on here if anyone knew what the howling might be about.  Is it possible that cockers howl if their owner is absent?  We're a bit worried about them  :luv:

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
Re: Howling Question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 06:35:12 PM »
Roxy doesn't howl at anything except for the ice cream van jingle! But I'm sure this dog is confused as to where its owner has gone and is probably howling because he is upset.

When OH goes out or works late Roxy often sits on the arm of the sofa waiting for him and was quite confused and a bit down for a few days when he went to Peru for 2 weeks as he had never been away from her for so long. 

Poor Doggie and how sad for the family.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:21:27 AM »
Penny sometimes howls if I leave her in the back garden and go to the front without her. She sounds like she's being tortured:005:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:58:44 AM »

I imagine he is feeling lost and confused.  Not only has his owner disappeared, but the man's wife is going to be deeply upset and the dog will pick up on her emotions too....

I'm sure he'll adapt in time, but it definately sounds like he is mourning the loss of his owner.  :'(
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline mattys mum

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:08:31 AM »
I would suggest without a doubt the dog is calling for the owner and is missing him dearly.  The dog, like us has the capability to feel.  Like us, he will adjust eventually.  Maybe the lady can chat to the dog and share what has happened and how she feels which might help the dog?

Hope it eases soon

Mandy

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »

I imagine he is feeling lost and confused.  Not only has his owner disappeared, but the man's wife is going to be deeply upset and the dog will pick up on her emotions too....

I'm sure he'll adapt in time, but it definately sounds like he is mourning the loss of his owner.  :'(

Totaly agree, wolves howl to try and reunite the pack if members are missing and this is one behaviour dogs share with them.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »
Definitely sounds like he's howling for his owner.

I think we underestimate the effect that losing a person or other animal can have on our pets - I had a cat client recently who had lost her mother - she saw the body, spent 3 days sitting on her grave, refused to eat for weeks and became really quite ill  :'(

My mum was walking her dog the other day and came across a girl holding a pony which was really distressed and doing this awful neighing - she asked what the matter was and the girl said the pony's lifelong companion was just being to be PTS in the stables  :-\
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
When my beloved Lucy cocker died last year Tessa my Springer was inconsolable. She lost 4 kgs and would just sit and stare and make the most awful crying noises. She was in such a bad way and even a year later she just isn't the same dog that she was  :'(  :'(

I totally agree with everything peeps have said about the poor dog missing his Dad....hope he feels a little better soon  :luv:

Offline Ellie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 03:21:22 PM »
Aww, it's so sad isn't it?  My mum spoke to her neighbour about the howling and the neighbour said she had gone out shopping at that time.  So I think the dog wasn't used to being left on his own (usually he would have been left sitting on the male neighbour's knee while the lady went shopping).