Author Topic: Show type, working type or both!?  (Read 4082 times)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Show type, working type or both!?
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 08:36:51 AM »
Well they say honesty is the best policy so here goes ..... ph34r

I wasn't looking for another dog of any breed and I had always (and still have, although not the same one unfortunately) a lab

Went to the breeders to see the pups the day before they were all off to their new homes (breeder is a friend, and as far as I and the kids were concerned all pups had new homes to go to)  had a great lunch and played with the pups

One had no new home to go to and the breeder was thinking of keeping her, but the kids were smitten and the breeder said we could have her and the rest is history.

Until I went to lunch that day I didn't know much about cockers let alone there were two breeds.

I went on to have another worker and eventually (due to illness of my lab and other cocker) I ended up with just one cocker, but the house wasn't the same without a lab so we got another one of these instead of another cocker and they are great together  :D

would I get another cocker? Yes I would  ;)

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2010, 08:40:30 AM »
I too didn't know there were different types until I found COL  ph34r  ph34r I absolutely love shows because they were the breed I was brought up with  :luv: But since meeting lots of lovely workers I love both types now  :luv: In my situation I don't think it would be fair for me to have a worker as much as I love them but if my circumstances ever changed (eg I won the lottery and didn't have to work) I would definitely consider a worker and a few more shows  ;)  ;)

I often wonder if Lucy Loo has a bit of worker in her as she is very driven and likes nothing better than getting in the undergrowth but that is something I will never know she could have anything in her  ;)

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »
have to say that i hadnt realised there were two types of breed until i was on here reserching thr breed. I have a show cocker as i thought exercising a worker with young kids could be a nightmare ( as it turns out its not but thats another story) however i do find her coat is a nightmare to maintain as im out and about with the dogs constantly and it mats so quickly .

Offline Pip895

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »
Worker here – I would never of considered a show type – I prefer a more practical look in a dog.  I love the look of working cockers.  Perfect size, Practical coat, Practical but lovely floppy ears and as bright as a button.   

I think too much is made on this site of their greater requirement for exercise and mental stimulation.  I've not had a show type so I can't really compare but my worker is defiantly more manageable than most of the other dogs I know - collie cross, Labradoodle and boxer for example.  I think they make great pets.  I think the truth of the matter is that there is a great overlap in drive, and requirement for exercise and mental stimulation between show and working – there are some lines of working dogs that probably don’t make good pets but in all honesty there are probably some show types in the same category. 
 ph34r

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »
Worker here – I would never of considered a show type – I prefer a more practical look in a dog.  I love the look of working cockers.  Perfect size, Practical coat, Practical but lovely floppy ears and as bright as a button.  

I think too much is made on this site of their greater requirement for exercise and mental stimulation.  I've not had a show type so I can't really compare but my worker is defiantly more manageable than most of the other dogs I know - collie cross, Labradoodle and boxer for example.  I think they make great pets.  I think the truth of the matter is that there is a great overlap in drive, and requirement for exercise and mental stimulation between show and working – there are some lines of working dogs that probably don’t make good pets but in all honesty there are probably some show types in the same category.  
 ph34r

You're quite rightly speaking from your own personal experience of a collie cross, a labradoodle and a boxer - I'm sure we could all cite examples of 'hard work' dogs we've met - unfortunately when you look at the broader picture and see a lot more young working cockers coming into rescue and a lot more with behavioural issues mostly due to under-stimulation and lack of understanding you may see why we feel this way.  As a forum it would be irresponsible not to emphasise this.  

Also with the rising popularity in working cockers as pets we're seeing some really poor examples of the breed and incredibly bad breeding  :-\

I actually think that a lot of pet breeding is 'dumbing down' the working strain so yes some will suit a pet home (but be absolutely useless for the intent they were originally bred for, which in the end I feel will be disadvantageous for the breed itself).

And lets face it - without those who worked their cockers the breed would never have evolved   :D

helen & jarvis x

Offline kristie

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »
i have a worker too, the only reason for this is because my other half wanted her to work under the gun and hawk so i had no choice really i personally still like workers to show type  not quite sure why  :huh: to be fair i love all dogs whaterever shape or size

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »
Worker here – I would never of considered a show type – I prefer a more practical look in a dog.  I love the look of working cockers.  Perfect size, Practical coat, Practical but lovely floppy ears and as bright as a button. 

Show here - I would never of considered a worker type  :005: I don't particularly like the look of them, of the ones I know that are used as working dogs their eyes just look too far apart to me  :lol2: and are a bit scatty  :blink: and have kind of thin coats.
I don't know any that are 100% pets. As for coats, I've seen one that had been out shooting come back to his daddy shaving him at the backdoor as his coat was completely matted with sticky willies!

I think the two types look completely different and I'm a show cocker all the way  :D
I love hollys coat - all shaved off  :lol2: her saggy sleepy eyes, her gorgeous ears, she's our perfect family dog! And will be getting another at some point  :D

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »

I actually think that a lot of pet breeding is 'dumbing down' the working strain so yes some will suit a pet home (but be absolutely useless for the intent they were originally bred for, which in the end I feel will be disadvantageous for the breed itself).

And lets face it - without those who worked their cockers the breed would never have evolved   :D

Interesting point. I have one pet bred worker (Dexter) and one bred from working parents and whose siblings all live a working life (Clover). The natural gun dog ability Clover has is amazing. She is so bright. She reteves without any training. She responds instantly to commands and can control her excitement in any situation.

Dexters enthusiastic but it can take him a few sessions to pick something up and he can be hard work, particularly where paitence and control are concerned. Whereas Clover can usually pick something up straight away and do it well. The only thing shes not taken to is flyball. But once I started approaching it from a gun dog point of view and teaching her a blind reteves with jumps shes improved massively.

It could be because shes my second dog and Im a better handler and dont think I dont love Dexter to bits. However I wouldnt pick a pet bred working cocker again  ph34r

Offline Pip895

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2010, 04:22:34 PM »
You're quite rightly speaking from your own personal experience of a collie cross, a labradoodle and a boxer - I'm sure we could all cite examples of 'hard work' dogs we've met - unfortunately when you look at the broader picture and see a lot more young working cockers coming into rescue and a lot more with behavioural issues mostly due to under-stimulation and lack of understanding you may see why we feel this way.  As a forum it would be irresponsible not to emphasise this. 
I don’t know if it’s a regional effect but there don’t seem to be  many working cockers languishing in rescue around here.  I have a friend who spent around 6 months looking for one and in the end gave up and bought a pup from a working kennel.

Also with the rising popularity in working cockers as pets we're seeing some really poor examples of the breed and incredibly bad breeding  :-\
And lets face it - without those who worked their cockers the breed would never have evolved   :D
I’m afraid I disagree – for me the suitability of a dog as a pet is of paramount importance –but pet owners and their situations are a very diverse lot.  The current working cocker it seems to me, is probably closer to the original cocker spaniel than is the show cocker (i.e.  before showing and the KC got a hold) . 
I feel no guilt in having a working cocker and not working her – after all dogs were originally bread for a purpose – you would hardly blame lovers of the bull breeds for not partaking in bull bating would you!!.  I am no fan of shooting birds in the name of sport – it really isn’t my thing but I’m happy to accept that by and large hunting makes a positive contribution – The working cocker for instance :D.

Offline mark1

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2010, 08:42:47 PM »
It's an interesting post and even though the op wanted to keep away from the show v working issue it's fascinating to see it keep coming up. I prefer show type Cockers personally but that's probably just an aesthetic thing. I think that both types will ultimately become just pet breeds with a different appearance as there is probably no long term sustainably in a working breed that has such a minority use.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »
It's an interesting post and even though the op wanted to keep away from the show v working issue it's fascinating to see it keep coming up. I prefer show type Cockers personally but that's probably just an aesthetic thing. I think that both types will ultimately become just pet breeds with a different appearance as there is probably no long term sustainably in a working breed that has such a minority use.

yes, I really wanted to avoid this type of discussion, especially as it has been done before many times on COL.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2010, 09:09:51 PM »
I think that both types will ultimately become just pet breeds with a different appearance as there is probably no long term sustainably in a working breed that has such a minority use.

I sincerely hope (and believe) that that is not the case. Thankfully there are still quite a few people who strive to produce good quality, fit for purpose working Cockers and they have become increasingly popular amongst shooting and trialling people in recent years as it's been realised what they are capable of. I'm in full agreement with Helen that the biggest detriment to the strain is the indiscriminate breeding of indifferent quality dogs for the pet market but I for one will always be a supporter of well bred, true to type dogs who are at their best when carrying out the job they were designed to do.

yes, I really wanted to avoid this type of discussion, especially as it has been done before many times on COL.

It is rather inevitable on threads like this it would seem and I think this is a good point to put this one to bed now.

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/