Author Topic: Rawhide chews and tripe sticks  (Read 7547 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Rawhide chews and tripe sticks
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 09:36:43 AM »

The key with anything like this is to not leave your dog unattended with stuff.... if you're there, you can take action if something goes wrong...

When I leave Honey, I only leave her with minced tripe or similar in a kong, nothing that requires chewing... she has had various chew treats, but that's saved for when we are about!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Pip895

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 10:00:23 AM »
Please be careful with rawhide chews.Fiona (rats and dogs) only yesterday put a post on facebook about a dog at the vets she works at that was given a rawhide chew and unfortunately died through choking on it

This sort of case is really tragic but I think we all probably know or have herd about dogs that have choked on sticks and twigs - I take the view that I'd prefer Saffi to have rawhide than a stick trawled out of the garden - so I give them relatively frequently (several a week). I think maybe you need to watch your dog initially, and if their technique is to chunk and swallow then remove and don't give that type of chew again - if you have been giving chews (perhaps even for years) without problem then dont be put off.   ;)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 01:26:18 PM »
I have seen a dog choke on rawhide and for this reason tend not to give them to my dogs. I have done on occasion, but keep a very close eye on them if I do. Mine are slightly addicted to tripe sticks and love them. I also give mine fish twists. These are both natural treats which they love. I have always had a stock of nylabones and my old cocker Merlin built up quite a collection.  :shades: They love these to.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2010, 02:12:30 PM »
Mine love Veal Sticks from here   http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/dog_chew_sticks

They do have the rawhide chews too but always under supervision.

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline itchy

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 11:50:08 AM »
What about bully sticks (pizzles)?  Tilly loves hers and chews for hours though she is only a puppy so not sure how long they last for older dogs.  She loves tripe sticks too, though I admit I let her have pressed bones made out of rawhide occasionally - only with supervision, but she gets bored of them anyway.

Offline Abbi

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 10:17:30 PM »
Abbi used to end up with an upset tummy after rawhide chews as she would bite off chunks from the thin chews and the knots off the ones with the knotted ends so stopped letting her have them. I have recently found that she can chew on the hide rings for ages and hardly make any indent in them so they are the only ones I let her have.

I'm not over keen on her having them at all but the rings seem to be a bit stronger than the sticks for her.