Author Topic: What do you feed ?  (Read 6379 times)

Offline Jane and Sara

What do you feed ?
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »
Sorry if this has been asked many times before , I'm very interested in dog nutrition and am
always interested to know what people feed their dogs :

Lucy ( Cocker puppy )  Hills science plan puppy
Megan ( Border Terrier puppy ) Hills science plan puppy
Fizzy & Zeta ( Chihuahuas ) Orijen
Kirby and Domino ( chihuahuas ) Royal Canin CD

Sara  :shades:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: What do you feed ?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 10:18:58 AM »
Maggie has Naturediet in the am and JWB in the evening... the evening meal will get swapped out a few times a week for raw chicken wings, sardines/pilchards & egg :)

Lisa
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:30:09 AM »
All our 11 dogs are on Challenge dry complete food www.challengedogfood.com The 10 adults are on the Adult Maintenance and my 14 week old pup is on the pup. They all love it. My 6 Cockers have raw tripe as well from the company PrizeChoice. The adults get the chunks and the pup gets the mince at the mo. They also get tripe sticks as treats and fish twists, sea biscuits and sea jerky from the Fish4Dogs company.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:41:46 AM »
Baja gets 3/4 Healthy Paws and 1/4 Hills DD Egg and Rice to keep him healthy.
Mole gets 100% Healthy Paws.

Once a month or so they might have a rice bone or a fish skin from Fish4Dogs but thats pretty much all they get because of Baja's intolerance's.

Offline mooching

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:49:01 AM »
Alfie (5 months old) was on Skinners when we got him, we then changed him to Royal Canin (it was on half-price offer!), but have in the last two weeks changed him over to Arden Grange. I wanted him to be having a food that was produced by a firm with strong ethics regarding animals and is made in this country, and, AFAIK, only Arden Grange and Burns have come out and said that their products are not tested on animals (http://www.ardengrange.com/arden-grange-philosophy-ethics.asp). I considered both Burns and Arden Grange, and have tried Alfie on samples of each, but came down on the side of Arden Grange because they use human-grade meat/fish and also I prefer their protein levels (Burns' protein levels are much lower).

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »
I've just started mine on CSJ Champ following some good reviews on here. It is much cheaper than most other brands, but the ingredients aren't quite as good so I supplement with cod liver oil and a piece of raw chicken once a day. It still works out a lot less expensive than the Burns I fed previously (which, incidentally, I think is an excellent feed too). 

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 11:44:24 AM »
, AFAIK, only Arden Grange and Burns have come out and said that their products are not tested on animals

As has already been pointed out today this is not true, there are quite a few foods that are not tested on animals and they say so on their websites - Healthy Paws, NatureDiet, Robbie's, Luath's, Skinners, CSJ... and there are more.

Tilly is on a prescription diet and can't have anything else. Rodaidh and Caoimhe get Barking Heads kibble in the mornings and BARF in the evenings with the occasional tub of NatureDiet as well.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 11:45:30 AM »
All our 11 dogs are on Challenge dry complete food www.challengedogfood.com The 10 adults are on the Adult Maintenance and my 14 week old pup is on the pup. They all love it. My 6 Cockers have raw tripe as well from the company PrizeChoice. The adults get the chunks and the pup gets the mince at the mo. They also get tripe sticks as treats and fish twists, sea biscuits and sea jerky from the Fish4Dogs company.  ;)

Challenge here as well for Quinn my puppy - he loves it.

Indie my 3 three old (crikey I think its her birthday today and I forgot  :o)   is on Burns but will be moving her over to Challenge when the 15kg bag is finished, probably in a year knowing how much she eats  :005:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 11:50:01 AM »
CSJ lamb & rice for breakfast and Barf for tea for my 4.  Roly can have a bad reaction to some foods, but does well on either AG or CSJ.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline mooching

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 11:53:37 AM »
As has already been pointed out today this is not true, there are quite a few foods that are not tested on animals and they say so on their websites - Healthy Paws, NatureDiet, Robbie's, Luath's, Skinners, CSJ... and there are more.

That's great to know, thank you!! (I was going by what the pet shop owner said, and he is clearly unaware of those brands - I will tell him!!)

Sadly not true for Hills, JWB and Royal Canin though.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »
Katie is on NatureDiet mixed with some terrier mix (slows down the speed of consumption and adds a bit of crunch)

Smudge is on Burns L/R with a spoonful of N/D to help his poos, which would otherwise be hard as bullets and as has been observed very slow and painful to accomplish.

I did at one time consider changing, but in the end decided to stick with what they know.  I usually buy the Burns in 7.5Kg as then it does not last as long. OK if it is only for one, but more expensive if you had multiple mouths to feed I guess.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 12:03:06 PM »
Mine on fresh Sardines or Chicken wings for Brekkies and Raw meat for tea, small amount of goats milk and biccy for supper/before bed

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 03:45:40 PM »

Mine are Barking Heads for breakfast and dinner. Dylan has their Senior and Jessie has the salmon and potato.   They also have veg added now and again, and a raw chicken wing one or twice a week.   Fish4Dogs skin bones, or dried tripe sticks  Burns Venison ears for chewing.  If the supermarket has cod loin on special I steam that and add to kibble but that is an occasional treat.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 04:23:37 PM »
My two get AG complete in the morning and tripe/chicken wings/pilchards in the evening (not all mixed together  :005:)
They are very good eaters and are ALWAYS ready for the next meal.  ;) :005: :005:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »
Natural Instinct (raw) both meals, with raw chicken wings instead for one meal every few days or so. Until a couple of weeks ago they were on Burns in the morning and Natural Instinct in the evening but I decided to switch entirely to raw when my last sack of Burns ran out, not for any particular reason really and may put them back on Burns in the morning because the smell and look of it is easier on me when I'm doing their breakfasts  :005:

I usually have Fish4Dogs and tripe sticks in the house for their treats and sometimes Mini Markies or JWB Minijacks, but I don't like William to have too many wheat based snacks like the Markies because I think they don't suit his skin or digestion.

They always hang around when I'm eating an apple or banana or pear and have a piece or two.