Author Topic: What do you feed ?  (Read 6377 times)

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
Re: What do you feed ?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 11:30:38 AM »
Saartje en Teun eat complete fresh frozen raw food. It contains meat, organs, bones en a bit vegetables. I make shore they eat different animals like chicken, duck, lamb, goat, horse and rabbit.  I ad some chicken-, turkey or duck necks. Ones a week they get yogurt, an egg, and some greasy fish. Today they get herring.

Have you red the article from the daily news in the link below??

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=76637.0
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 01:32:25 PM »
Brodie has been on Burns for ages and does well on it, she also gets a couple of spoonfuls of Naturediet. I would love to eventually swap her over to Natural Instinct but at the moment we have a small freezer and couldn't store it. She gets plain chicken for training. She also eats the odd chicken wing or egg, carrots used to be a favourite treat but she has went off them for some reason.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Carol09

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 10:13:34 AM »
Both mine were on JWB but our GSDx has a sensitive tummy and had regular diahorrea so we have changed both dogs over to Arden Grange and so far so good.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 11:38:11 AM »
After trying various varieties of Burns, Arden Grange and Healthy paws and having problems with a massive allergic reactions in my Weim one of the JWB brands and hyperness on Arden Grange and both Weim and Cocker loosing condition on the other foods, they ended up on Chappie for ages as it suited them both and they looked great on it. But it's not a food I'm particularly keen on feeding them so I moved them onto JWB Fish a few months ago as a trial and so far so good....! They also get suitable human leftovers and titbits occasionally (veg/fruit, salmon skins, tinned oily fish, chicken wings, yogurt, cottage cheese etc etc...)

I think it's easy to get overly obsessive about dog food brands, at the end of the day common sense and what suits your dog is important... as well as cost! I'm sure a lot of us end up eating much worse junk food than our dogs half the time :lol:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 11:41:37 AM »
Sorry if this has been asked many times before , I'm very interested in dog nutrition and am
always interested to know what people feed their dogs :

Lucy ( Cocker puppy )  Hills science plan puppy
Megan ( Border Terrier puppy ) Hills science plan puppy
Fizzy & Zeta ( Chihuahuas ) Orijen
Kirby and Domino ( chihuahuas ) Royal Canin CD

Sara  :shades:
If you don't mind, I have, maybe, a silly question...
Orijen with high protein levels is OK for the little ones? I 've heard is good for working dogs etc.
Maybe I'm wrong... :D
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline Jane and Sara

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »
Hi , and no it's not a silly question :)

Yes Orijen is very high protein , I personally think toy dogs need & do well on high levels of protein ,
I know they are only tiny but they are very busy little dogs ( well ours are as they have 'real dog' walks every day )
I also really like to use a grain free dog dog , I'm not a fan of carbs in dog food ( I know i'm rather paranoid  ::))
I find that foods with grain in can cause tear staining in my white chihuahuas ...

Thanks again to you all for replying to this thread  :D :D

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 12:37:43 PM »
Hi , and no it's not a silly question :)

Yes Orijen is very high protein , I personally think toy dogs need & do well on high levels of protein ,
I know they are only tiny but they are very busy little dogs ( well ours are as they have 'real dog' walks every day )
I also really like to use a grain free dog dog , I'm not a fan of carbs in dog food ( I know i'm rather paranoid  ::))
I find that foods with grain in can cause tear staining in my white chihuahuas ...

Thanks again to you all for replying to this thread  :D :D
Thanks for your reply! You are absolutely right!! Orijen's quality is superb!
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline Jane and Sara

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »
I forgot to say , Chihuahuas are very prone to hypoglycemia so I like to feed them high protein food & 4 small meals a day .

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 10:17:06 AM »
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »
Troy (Pyrenean Mountain Dog) and Dylan (Lurcher): CSJ Command Performance 18 and raw tripe/lamb/chicken etc as well as fish and cooked veg and fruit. They also get salmon oil and a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement.

Flash (Saluki): Benevo with Missing Link and Vegezyme supplements as well as veg and fruit.

Jesse (American cocker): raw turkey with cooked veg and fruit.

Vera

Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 11:02:57 AM »
Emily (9)- Hills Mature Light,
Ollie (6) - Hills Advanced Fitness

Both also have minced tripe/ beef/ chicken/ turkey/ etc, and Yumega oil.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 11:53:22 AM »
Roxy has JWB kibble and from time to time a pouch of the JWB wet added.  She sometimes has a Sunday dinner added on a Sunday if we have a roast!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 12:03:58 PM »
CSJ Champ! for Odie, although have just bought him a supply of Nature Diet.  I'll be feeding him CSJ kibble at breakfast, then the ND for teatime.  I'm trying him on various fruit/veg but so far he's not that impressed - much prefers hotdogs/cheese bits for training purposes :005:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 12:08:26 PM »
George and Hamish are on a BARF diet, which consists of chicken carcasses, chicken wings, pork or lamb ribs, lambs hearts, lamb's liver, lambs kidneys, rabbit and sardines, prior to that they were both on Arden Grange Lamb :D
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 12:54:58 PM »
Dougie and Tia have Burns Chicken and Rice dry food, with a little bit of Burns moist food mixed in, or a bit of chicken or fish through it. They also have raw chicken wings now and then, plus treats of carrots, Fish 4 Dogs, Antos chews and bits of other veg or fruit that I'm chopping up. :D

They have a little bit kept back from breakfast to have during the day, as they find it difficult to go from morning to night with no food in between, bit like myself! :005:

Tia has also been known to help herself to the odd dead pigeon she finds when on walks! :020:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge