Author Topic: Confused on all the brands of dried food, which one?  (Read 5778 times)

Offline The Waltons

Confused on all the brands of dried food, which one?
« on: September 30, 2010, 02:15:11 PM »
Hi i joined today my names joanne and im in a dilema on which puppy dried food to buy thats best but not too exspensive, if you see what i mean ,   we have a blue roan cocker Milo whose is  being fed on purina Beta puppy.
Was thinking of changing it , dont know why really  :-\ he seems happy on it but so undecided, so much choice & brands & mixed messages..... is more exspensive better  ?

Want the best for my gorgeous little man.. :blink:

thankyou jo

Offline mooching

Re: Confused on all the brands of dried food, which one?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »
hi Joanne,

It's honestly a good idea to change it, because Beta is not very good at all (nearly as bad as Bakers).

Here's a list of the ingredients for the Beta Puppy Chicken and Rice:

Cereals (min 4% wholegrain, min. 4% rice), Meat and animal derivatives (min. 14% meats, min. 4% chicken), Vegetables protein extracts, Oils and fats, Derivatives of vegetable origin (min. 0.5% beet pulp), Vegetables (min. 0.5% chicory), Minerals. With antioxidants and preserved with EC additives.

That makes the largest ingredient cereals, which isn't a good thing. Also, the majority of the meat content isn't named, so you have no idea what it is (could really be anything), plus they call it "derivatives". Here is a link that tells you about "meat and animal derivatives":
http://www.best-dog-food-review.com/67901/67927.html "EC additives" are not good either (nor are the antioxidants).

There are a number of good quality foods around - it depends really on what your criteria are. Do you want to be able to buy it from your local pet shop, could you drive to a bigger pet shop to get it, would you be willing to order it over the internet? That kind of thing.

A number of the good quality brands are happy to send out samples, so it might be an idea to send off for some. Also to look in your local pet shop to see what they have.

Here's a few "good names:

Arden Grange
CSJ
Burns
Skinners
James Wellbeloved
Royal Canin
Barking Heads
Healthy Paws
Orijen

(I am sure others can come up with some more!)

For me, Alfie started on Skinners, which is what the breeder had him on; I then changed to Royal Canin, purely because my local pet shop had it (and so did my vet) and they had a half price offer on the puppy food. I've latterly (he's 5 months now) changed him onto Arden Grange, because I like their ethics, they use human-grade meat, they are reasonably local to me (they are in Sussex) and everything is produced in the UK and because I've found another pet shop not that far from me who stocks it (and my local Waitrose stocks the Adult food).

Offline Eloise

• what me? on the sofa, now really mum!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 03:30:48 PM »
Hi Joanne and welcome
I have a black and tan show cocker called Alfie who is now 1 and gorgeous :luv:
I was feeding him Pedigree Complete as I mistakenly assumed big brand=good food! Just shows you can be taken in by marketing ph34r

I read an article in the paper about avoiding foods with "animal derivatives" in and realised that that was what Pedigree had in it. I am now feeding Alfie CSJ which, to be honest he absolutely loves, his coat is shinier, his teeth cleaner and he's easier to clean up behind if you know what I mean! ph34r

CSJ is actually cheaper than Pedigree so benefits all round. If you search on here for CSJ you will find other threads and see that it is quite popular.(that's what I did)
It is so difficult to know what to do for the best but the advice I've found on here is second to none!
Good Luck :D

Offline mooching

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:24:03 PM »
CSJ are great at sending samples (and substantial ones too!) if you phone up and talk to them. My pup loved their food, but I tried a few different brands and in the end went for AG. That's no criticism of CSJ though.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »
My two recently changed over to CSJ and we all love it! Its very well priced, the dogs lap it up and thier deposits :shades: are much better. I would highly recommend it

Offline The Waltons

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:42:38 PM »
 :D thanks so much all so helpful.

Just been to our local pet shop its small but the nearest to us about 20 mins away , we live in rural west wales, no shops near.

Well i had a look & could see JWB & Burns, couldnt see many other brands, spoke to the lady who recomends Burns, so when Milo finished the Beta , thinking along  those 2 brands as need a shop that i can easliy get the Burns from, i,ll probably change my mind again... lol  :005:

Oh & bought Milo a chew , has anyone seen them they come in green or brown & look like plastic, ? odd looking chews, but Milo is loving it...

joanne

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 07:46:11 PM »
You can order Burns online - I think they do free samples  :-\   :D

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 07:47:34 PM »
Hi and welcome  :D
I have my three on Burns untile recently, and now changing to CSJ.  In all honesty it was price that was a big factor, when we added the third member to the family I started to rethink.  No issues with Burns other than the price.  
About the chew, I know exactly the ones you mean and I don't know what they are called, but my 3 love them too  :luv:

Offline The Waltons

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »
yes the price may put hubby off, but he isnt eating it  :blink:

Havent seen CSJ yet anywhere , will have to look on line, its sounds good.

thanks

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 07:53:36 PM »

Oh & bought Milo a chew , has anyone seen them they come in green or brown & look like plastic, ? odd looking chews, but Milo is loving it...

Hi Joanne

The chew you describe sounds like a Nylabone to me - is it bone shaped??  Mason used to enjoy them as a pup  :D

You will find that not many of the better quality foods are available in pet stores and you will have to source them online.   Prices vary a lot but I always found some good prices via eBay.   You could contact a few of the companies direct and ask for samples before you buy a larger amount.
Elaine & Mason X

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »
yes the price may put hubby off, but he isnt eating it  :blink:

Havent seen CSJ yet anywhere , will have to look on line, its sounds good.

thanks

Just saw this after I had posted.  Bear in mind that with a food with better ingredients you will have to feed less of it so the cost shouldn't be too much greater  :D
Elaine & Mason X

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 07:57:08 PM »
http://www.csjk9.com/
Definitely contact them first and they will send out decent size samples.  They are based in Wales, my geography is awful, so I'll let you have a look at the stockist list on the website, rather than embarrass myself  :005:

Offline grracee

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
Charlie came from his breeder on ProPlan Puppy but I couldn't get it from shops anywhere near to me so I changed him to Royal Canin. One of my friends has a pet shop in town and she's very passionate about animals having good food and won't stock any of the foods that aren't that good for dogs/cats etc. I spoke to her and she recommended Royal Canin to me. I personally feel that it's done complete wonders for Charlie's coat etc and I'm very pleased with it. It costs about £40 a 15kg bag but it last for quite a while with Charlie. I'm really happy with it.  :blink:

Offline mooching

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 08:22:16 PM »
As and when you decide to change Milo over to another brand, it's important to do it slowly so that he is less likely to get an upset tum from the change.

It can be done in as little as 4 days, but with a youngster it's best to do it over a 7-10 day period.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 08:35:46 PM »
This is the food I use for my gang. They love it, it's great quality food and they're doing really well on it. Plus it's not to expensive and even though they don't sell it in the shops they provide brilliant service. www.challengedogfood.co.uk I also add raw tripe to my dogs meals.  ;) Welcome to COL by the way. You'll find lots of helpful advice on here.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx