Author Topic: Confused on all the brands of dried food, which one?  (Read 5775 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Confused on all the brands of dried food, which one?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 08:50:53 PM »
I feed Bella Burns and although it seems expensive, she needs so little of it that it is cheaper than feeding her the supermarket stuff (less poo to pick up too!).  She weighs 15Kg and eats 150g day which works out at about 45p day. She is very happy and healthy on it.
I buy 15Kg bags online and they are delivered to my door. This company seems to be the quickest and most reliable and helpful I have found so far.
http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/c-376-burns-dog-food.aspx

If you give Burns a ring -they will send you some samples to try.
http://shop.burnspet.com/
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »
I use Pro Plan and JWB they are both good quality foods and my cockers have lovely coats plus they just love it. They are both around £38-£40 but if you shop around online there are some good deals to be had  :blink:

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »
Hi & welcome to COL

I feed Diesel & Olli Royal Canin - Breed Specific Cocker 25, they both love it and are healthy weight (both around 12kg) and coat and skin condition is brill. Poos are good too  :005: Its about £45 a bag and can be ordered online from various suppliers (do a google search for the best deal) its true that you dont need to feed as much with a better quality food, so works out cheaper in the long run.
The breed specific is for dogs over 1 year old, when they where puppies I fed them Royal Canin also but the puppy version.

:luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »
Alfie is fed on Challenge Dog Food, salmon flavour and is doing very well on it, nice shiny coat and firm do-dahs :blink:. He came on this as a pup but his stools got a bit loose so we tried a few brands but none suited him very well. We thought we'd try challenge again and all's going well up to now. Great service too ;) :D xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 09:38:05 PM »
http://www.csjk9.com/
Definitely contact them first and they will send out decent size samples.  They are based in Wales, my geography is awful, so I'll let you have a look at the stockist list on the website, rather than embarrass myself  :005:

Mooching posted a link further on in the thread which is very good and never seen that before, thanks Mooching.    It says what to avoid in dog foods which is generally the meat derivatives and also the additives.    The additives to avoid are in CSJ food.     I know it gets recommended on here because is a "good" price but the ingredients are not great at all.    :-\

Look at the additives page  http://www.best-dog-food-review.com/67901/70401.html

Offline The Waltons

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 01:25:01 PM »
hi everyone gosh its a yucky day here rather wet, we took the 2 children tommy & oliver to mcdonalds, the others will be jealous now  :blink:

Of course i popped into pets at home, hubby watched kids with the animals, a saying just buy that again !!  how dare he  >:D he doesnt understand whats good & whats not...

Well ive bought a small bag of JWB as plenty to choose from & i know i can get it more local to me, as we cant afford the great big bags some weeks.....

Hope ive made a good choice, i was in there ages lol  :lol2:

joanne

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 01:31:08 PM »
Hi Joanne,

My two are on JWB (Duck and Rice is their fave) and they have been fine on it but as others have said what suits one doglet might not suit another...anyway hope it goes well

Jennie & Poppy

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 01:37:22 PM »
My puppy Teva is fed on JWB as well as Naturediet and she is doing really well on it. It is a very reasonably priced good quality food :D

Offline Mrs B

• Butter wouldn't melt!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 02:00:51 PM »
We feed Cinders on Royal Canin specific for Cockers (Adult 25 I think it is called).  When she was younger she had the puppy version for medium breeds.  This seems to really suit her and we are always getting comments on how glossy and healthy her coat is, plus her number 2's are good too.  We used to buy 3kg bag of Royal Canin partly because of space issues and to find out if she was going to like the adult version.  This week I have brought a 15kg bag from Pets at Home online for about £39.99 although I will always search on the internet to find out who has got the best offer on at the moment.
Mrs B & Cinders xx

Offline mooching

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 03:02:28 PM »
The Mini Jacks are a good treat for a pupster.

My Cavi loved JWB, but he also had problems with his anal glands for a number of years (needed emptying every 6 weeks). I didn't connect the two at all, but then I found some Hills Natures Best at less than half price, and changed him onto it. It wasn't till several months later that I realised he'd had no problems with anal glands - and he never needed them emptying again, right up till he passed away in March. He'd had about 2 years without needing them emptying.

Other dogs have absolutely no problems with it, so it's likely down to the individual dog's constitution.

So, give it a try, and see how it goes!

Offline redlottie

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 10:25:52 AM »
My pup Albie is on JWB Lamb and Rice and loves it  ;)

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 10:36:13 AM »
Definitely contact them first and they will send out decent size samples.  They are based in Wales, my geography is awful, so I'll let you have a look at the stockist list on the website, rather than embarrass myself  :005:

Mooching posted a link further on in the thread which is very good and never seen that before, thanks Mooching.    It says what to avoid in dog foods which is generally the meat derivatives and also the additives.    The additives to avoid are in CSJ food.     I know it gets recommended on here because is a "good" price but the ingredients are not great at all.    :-\

Look at the additives page  http://www.best-dog-food-review.com/67901/70401.html

Just had a look at Natural That'll Do that I feed Freya and the additives although EC approved are NATURAL anti-oxidants, not artificial?

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »
Definitely contact them first and they will send out decent size samples.  They are based in Wales, my geography is awful, so I'll let you have a look at the stockist list on the website, rather than embarrass myself  :005:

I am just about to start feeding csj lamb with rice.

I have to be honest some of the csj foods i think are fine to feed and others i really wouldnt give to my dogs  :-\

Some of the cheaper ones are not even meat based feeds  :-\

Offline The Waltons

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »
well so far so good on jwb duck & rice Milo cleared the bowl for lunch, which he doesnt always.
Toilet was nice & firm earlier .... what with me checking my babies poos, doggies poos & chicken poos ,  :005:
as long as hubby doesnt want me to check his........ ;)

joanne

Offline mooching

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »
Joanne, just checking that you read what we said about changing Milo over to JWB gradually, not all at one? I wasn't sure, from what you said.

It should be over a minimum of 4 days, but preferably over a week or 10 days.

For example, over 4 days:

First day: all 3 meals should be one quarter JWB, three quarters Beta
Second day: as above
Third day: all 3 meals should be one half JWB, one half Beta
Fourth day: all 3 meals should be three quarters JWB, one quarter Beta
Fifth day: all 3 meals 100% JWB