Author Topic: Confused on all the brands of dried food, which one?  (Read 5776 times)

Offline The Waltons

Re: Confused on all the brands of dried food, which one?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 12:51:30 PM »
hi mooching, must admit havent got  alot of beta left about 2 half days worth, mixed some today & will continue to try & get the amounts right, will he be ok ? if not i,ll get some more beta..
thanks

Offline mooching

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »
Joanne, I'd say he *should* be ok without you buying any more Beta.

What you *could* do, is put some cooked rice (and a little chicken or white fish if you have it) in with the JWB instead, when the Beta runs out over the next couple of days, to "water it down" and ease it into his system (they are quite bland and easily digestible).

And just keep a close eye on his poo's.  ;)

Amanda

Offline The Waltons

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »
will do Amanda, & thankyou

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »
http://www.csjk9.com/
Definitely contact them first and they will send out decent size samples.  They are based in Wales, my geography is awful, so I'll let you have a look at the stockist list on the website, rather than embarrass myself  :005:

Mooching posted a link further on in the thread which is very good and never seen that before, thanks Mooching.    It says what to avoid in dog foods which is generally the meat derivatives and also the additives.    The additives to avoid are in CSJ food.     I know it gets recommended on here because is a "good" price but the ingredients are not great at all.    :-\

Look at the additives page  http://www.best-dog-food-review.com/67901/70401.html

I am just about to start feeding csj lamb with rice.

I have to be honest some of the csj foods i think are fine to feed and others i really wouldnt give to my dogs  :-\

Some of the cheaper ones are not even meat based feeds  :-\

Would you mind advising which one to avoid for me? I'm by no means an expert and would value some advise from someone more experienced than me, if you dont mind that is?  :huh: I want to know i'm giving them something decent. I was about  to start swapping Harvey over to That'll Do too, but will reconsider if its not great

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
http://www.csjk9.com/
Definitely contact them first and they will send out decent size samples.  They are based in Wales, my geography is awful, so I'll let you have a look at the stockist list on the website, rather than embarrass myself  :005:

Mooching posted a link further on in the thread which is very good and never seen that before, thanks Mooching.    It says what to avoid in dog foods which is generally the meat derivatives and also the additives.    The additives to avoid are in CSJ food.     I know it gets recommended on here because is a "good" price but the ingredients are not great at all.    :-\

Look at the additives page  http://www.best-dog-food-review.com/67901/70401.html

Hmm...  just read this, and now worried about what I am feeding my lot.  Recently changed them on to CSJ Command Performance 18. I did look at the ingredients and they seemed ok,but I am not confident in my ability to choose a good quality food. The cheaper bags of CSJ didn't look great, but I thought the Command Perforamcne looked better.

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 10:01:43 PM »
I'm amazed that some of the more expensive brands are getting away with claiming to be so much better for your dog when they effectively contain the same ingredients that are being called into question.  >:D

Posie was on Purina Beta Puppy and I was under the impression it was one of the better brands. Now I find out it isn't so I looked at a couple of other brands - thanks to you guys. It's been mentioned upthread but CSJ are no diffferent to plenty of mainstream brands. Their value range is just about the same as Purina, and their premium brands contain plenty of no-no's.

"Chicken Meat Meal, Wheat, Rice, Chicken Fat, Unmolassed Beet Pulp, Wheat Feed, Full Fat Linseed, Prairie Meal, Yeast, EC permitted natural anti-oxidants, Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin C and Rosemary Extract."

No mention of the meat source and there are two different wheat ingredients, two different "meal"s and added yeast. My understanding is that yeast is completely unneccessary and is contirbutary to upset stomachs in any animal that is not a herbivore.

I'm not just bashing that one brand - just pointing out that a little more research is required. We may be feeding our little ones thinking that we have made a good decision.

I'll be taking on board recommendations and doing some more research before I switch brands.

Thanks for the extra info and insights.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010, 09:45:32 AM »
This is a really good thread. I have read it with great interest especially following on from the article in last week’s Mail on Sunday “Is pet food poisoning our pets?” which gave me cause for a lot of thought, though not to the extent of a purely raw meat diet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315145/Is-pet-food-poisoning-dogs.html

I too am planning to change over to a different pet food for Alfie now, but am in agreement with PetePreston on the more expensive brands. Having had food prescribed for my previous cocker for 2years due to kidney failure which is at the more expensive end of the ranges, I would prefer to go for a less expensive  brand which has less additives and no ‘animal derivatives’ listed while he is a fit and healthy 1 year old dog who doesn’t require a special diet for medical reasons. There’s certainly plenty information on offer from every ones replies which is really helpful.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »
This may help as well, I know its been posted in the past on this site - Purina, CSJ basics, Bakers are down in the 1 star category, Arden Grange in the 4 star category etc.      The more knowledge people have then they can make their own minds up on whether what is being recommended to them is actually a good quality food. 

CSJ Command is in the 3 star category so better rated than the cheaper CSJ foods but still better foods out there.   

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php

Hope this helps in the dog food minefield  :shades:

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 11:23:18 AM »
It could of changed but last time I was on dog food analysis it had the reviews for the old ingredients not what's actually being sold now.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 11:42:39 AM »
It could of changed but last time I was on dog food analysis it had the reviews for the old ingredients not what's actually being sold now.

I think but not sure if the ingredients are different to what is on the pack of food and what is on the website because they've changed, you can submit a request for a review.   However a lot of them haven't changed and you can see from the ingredients list on the site and the ingredients list on the pack of food or website.   

Just thought it would help some people.   

I'm feeding Quinn a 1 star food at the moment and its not cheap  :-\  but surprisingly he is doing well on it even though the ingredients are apparently rubbish as it stated Chicken as the main ingredient but would be better if it stated Chicken meal.   

The more you look, the more my head hurts from it all  :005:

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »
I'm amazed that some of the more expensive brands are getting away with claiming to be so much better for your dog when they effectively contain the same ingredients that are being called into question.  >:D

"Chicken Meat Meal, Wheat, Rice, Chicken Fat, Unmolassed Beet Pulp, Wheat Feed, Full Fat Linseed, Prairie Meal, Yeast, EC permitted natural anti-oxidants, Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin C and Rosemary Extract."

No mention of the meat source and there are two different wheat ingredients, two different "meal"s and added yeast. My understanding is that yeast is completely unneccessary and is contirbutary to upset stomachs in any animal that is not a herbivore.
I'll be taking on board recommendations and doing some more research before I switch brands.

Thanks for the extra info and insights.

Named meat in meal form is actually a good thing. When it lamb meal, chicken meal etc what it means is that the meat content is weighed once its been ground up and the water removed so it a better representation of the % of meat. A named product in meal for also means it free from the undesirable bits.

Prairie meal is not so desirable as its actually the crap bits of corn that are left over.

Pet food is a complete minefield and so much of it is about opinion and what suits your dog.

I personally wouldnt feed the product above but it is superior to a product whos ingredients are cereals, wheat, meat derevatives which is alot of foods out there.

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2010, 11:48:56 AM »

I think but not sure if the ingredients are different to what is on the pack of food and what is on the website because they've changed, you can submit a request for a review.   However a lot of them haven't changed and you can see from the ingredients list on the site and the ingredients list on the pack of food or website.   

I'm feeding Quinn a 1 star food at the moment and its not cheap  :-\  but surprisingly he is doing well on it even though the ingredients are apparently rubbish as it stated Chicken as the main ingredient but would be better if it stated Chicken meal.   

I didnt check them all but i did check the lamb and rice because thats what i was interested in and it has definitely changed. i wouldnt feed it if it was the same as on the review site.

I love that site and im really pleased you posted it  :D

I also think its good you pointed out that some csj foods are not good quality as they have so many of them you really have to look at what your feeding.

I agree with you it gives you a headache, one site will say beet pulp is a big no no and another will say its a quality filler  :-\

I think as you have discovered with Quinn its all about what suits your dog

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 11:52:39 AM »

I didnt check them all but i did check the lamb and rice because thats what i was interested in and it has definitely changed. i wouldnt feed it if it was the same as on the review site.

I love that site and im really pleased you posted it  :D

I also think its good you pointed out that some csj foods are not good quality as they have so many of them you really have to look at what your feeding.

I agree with you it gives you a headache, one site will say beet pulp is a big no no and another will say its a quality filler  :-\

I think as you have discovered with Quinn its all about what suits your dog

Well it was not my intention to feed him rubbish and pay a lot for it  :005:   Am googling puppy foods at the moment as will be changing him.   

Offline The Waltons

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »
gosh the more i read the more my head aches  :-\ not too sure about jbw now.... :huh:

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 12:17:31 PM »
I don't know about the particular bags of JWB listed on the doganalysis site  :huh: I don't buy the food in that packaging, but the ingredients on the current bag of JWB that I have in front of me  :D is as follows
JWB - Duck and Rice Kibble - Puppy
Rice, Duck meat meal, organic oats, duck fat, whole linseed, duck gravy, alfalfa, soduim chloride, natural seaweed, chicory extract, calcium carbonate, lysine, D,L methionine, yukka extract and threonine.

It is a good quality food ;)