Author Topic: Sucking Blanket  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Sucking Blanket
« on: December 20, 2004, 05:57:16 PM »
Lottie has always sucked the fleece in her basket for comfort and has never grown out of it  :wub:

Recently though, her sucking seems to be more 'urgent' and she wimpers as if she is not being fulfilled whilst trying to find the best bit to suck on :rolleyes:  :unsure:   She is often tugging at the blanket too and making holes in it :angry: After 5 minutes or so she settles.

She is at the tail end of her season and wondered if this may have anything to do with it?

Mary & Lottie x

Offline Mightyjoe

• Site Member
    • http://www.byphotos.com/album/780383
Sucking Blanket
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 06:08:40 PM »
dont think it is a girl thing as oscar does it with his bed untill he falls a sleep
David, Sharon & Oscar

Oscar Pics    Oscar in Scotland

Offline betastorm

• Site Member
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v208/betastorm/
Sucking Blanket
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 06:44:24 PM »
Lottie has always sucked the fleece in her basket for comfort and has never grown out of it  :wub:

Sounds really sweet though :wub:  
Wendy and little Molly

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Sucking Blanket
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 06:54:45 PM »
dont think it is a girl thing as oscar does it with his bed untill he falls a sleep
Molo too - he will suck on on a plushy toy, whimpering with such desperation that if OH hears him he thinks something is dreadfully wrong  ;)  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Sue H

Sucking Blanket
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 08:49:30 PM »
Bless their little hearts ...   were they weaned early??

I have had cats that want to suck clothing or knitted things, but I haven't had a dog that does this!!

You must make sure that what they are sucking can't ball up in their stomach and cause problems - maybe a Kong filled with cream cheese might fulfil their need to lick and suck without ingesting any fabric etc ...

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Sucking Blanket
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 10:43:17 PM »
You must make sure that what they are sucking can't ball up in their stomach and cause problems - maybe a Kong filled with cream cheese might fulfil their need to lick and suck without ingesting any fabric etc ...
Nope, it has to be soft and fluffy and able to absorb an inordinate amount of drool  :lol:  He has any number of chewy, squishy, rubbery and nylabone type toys - but its always the plushies that get 'loved' :wub:

Molo didn't leave Mum until he was over 10 weeks, so I doubt early weaning is an issue in his case  <_<    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Sue H

Sucking Blanket
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 10:57:06 PM »
Yeah, I know ALLLL about it ......

How many empty camels/cats/bears do you have currently makeing your grass go yellow in your garden??

Once mine broach the outer defences, I take all the kapok out and put old tennis balls or kongs or something inside the 'carcase' so you can lob it for yards instead of chucking it with all your might and it just floats for a couple of feet before landing gently in your prize geranium !!!

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Sucking Blanket
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 11:05:17 PM »
Bailey is 20 months old and does this and has done so since we brought him home at 8 weeks.  He goes into a "trance" when hes sucking.  After 5-10 minutes he gets up and goes and settles somewhere.  

I think its quite sweet.   :P  
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Sucking Blanket
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 11:17:51 PM »

Misty sucks too. :D She also does the trance thing too, it seems to help her relax before nodding off to sleep last thing at night. :)  

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Sucking Blanket
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 11:56:01 PM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Sucking Blanket
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 08:18:58 AM »
I had heard of other dogs doing the same thing and I too have thought it is quite sweet.  She also goes into this little trance and does the pawing :wub:

Never before has she wimpered quite so much though.  It's as if she is frustrated :unsure:
Mary & Lottie x

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Sucking Blanket
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 09:14:45 AM »
Sounds like the doggy equivalent of sucking a thumb! How sweet! :wub:  
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!