Author Topic: Cleaning Teeth  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Louis

• Site Member
Cleaning Teeth
« on: December 20, 2004, 07:44:01 PM »
Hi everyone

I have never actually cleaned louis teeth before so i am just looking for any advice or tips from anyone.  He is 15 months old, his teeth are inreally good condition, very white.  I give him a dentastix every day, should i be cleaning his teeth as well?  I have bought a babies soft toothbrush, whould this be ok :D  :D
Thanks for any help

Gemma&Louis

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 08:20:28 PM »
A babies toothbrush would be fine as its very soft. Just make sure you use doggy toothpaste ;)  If hes never had his teeth brushed before, just start by brushing one tooth(with or without the toothpaste) at a time and gradually build it up. Mine love having their teeth brushed and get it done every night before bed :rolleyes:  but it is still very much of a game to them!! I am also using the new stuff advertised in the dog magazines called PlaqueOff. Just got to add a spoonful to the food every day.

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Sue H

Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 08:24:23 PM »
As long as you get him used to your brushing his teeth - that is the main obstacle.

Barley used to queue up with the children when they were younger - she had their old brushes (Power Rangers/Glow in the dark Scooby Doo) and seemed to like the raspberry gel children's toothpaste.  After we had brushed, we rinsed (by flushing the loo so she could have a drink ...)

Depending on their teeth, some dogs seem fine, whereas others definitely benefit from brushing - you can get those little finger things (like they used to use in the Bank for counting notes !!!) which aren't as invasive as a brush ...

Dentals cost the earth if you have to have a Vet do it, but it is better than having the dog suffer with toothache or have to have lots of teeth removed ...

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 10:24:45 PM »
I have been using Logic Oral Hygiene Gel on mine with good effect. I got it from my vets & its not on prescription.
Like Gill's you can add it to their food or smudge it round the teeth with your finger or use it as a toothbrush.  :D  

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 06:33:58 PM »
All my older rescue cockers have had terrible teeth and mouth problems.  Logic is very good but it is best to get your dog used to having his teeth cleaned with a tooth brush and doggy toothpaste, if possible.

Pip, at 7/8 ish, has really bad dental problems and has lost lots of teeth.  I use a combination of Logic (on my finger which he just licks off) and brushing his teeth with a doggy toothpaste.  He was amazing good about it, as long as I am very careful and only do a couple of minutes at a time.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 07:36:46 PM »
It's one thing Jasp and Bud have become bad for - doggy breath :(  they will not let me clean their teeth. Buddy hates having his mouth touched. So I've ordered some of this gel from here £6.20 inc p & p. here's hoping ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 07:42:52 PM »
I use Petrodex toothpaste for the dogs and I have both a finger stall and a double ended doggy toothbrush.

I am also using the new stuff advertised in the dog magazines called PlaqueOff. Just got to add a spoonful to the food every day

Gill, I'd be interested to hear if that stuff works because I was wondering whether to give it a go or not?  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 11:51:12 AM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 12:17:13 PM »
Nell hates having her teeth cleaned, she'll let us doing anything else to her, drops in her eyes and clean her ears, but her teeth are a big no no as far as she's concerned.
We give her a marow bone every other week, the vet seemed impressed with them, so it must be doing the trick.  :D  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Penel

Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 06:01:25 PM »
Same here - raw meaty bones = clean teefies !  :D  

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 07:02:32 PM »
Mine have marrow bones to keep their teeth clean - and they dont complain about this method :lol:   The Logic Oral Hygiene gel sounds good - so good infact that I also have a tube en route now.  I do give their teeth a once over when they are groomed but they don't stand it long enough to be able to do all around the gum line properly - not even long enough to catch every tooth  :rolleyes:

The dental stick things are a complete waste of time for us - they disappear too fast to clean anything :lol:  

I would give mine a marrowbone every week if I could - but for some reason they are impossible to come by here - I might have to try going to the butchers and asking for marrowbones to make stock - might have better joy than asking for  bones for the dogs - worth a try <_<  
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 01:11:19 AM »
Pet Drugs Quick have got Logic on special offer  

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 09:08:43 AM »
Thanks Michelle , is that right,you can use this without a toothbrush? cos theres no way Nell will let me use one  :rolleyes:

Laura... i'm not to sure about giving a marrow bone every week   B)  ( maybe someone can help me out on this one ) if they have them too often it can grind there teeth down, thats what i was told anyway  B)  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 09:25:53 AM »
Thanks Michelle , is that right,you can use this without a toothbrush? cos theres no way Nell will let me use one

Hi Barb  :D

Have you tried a finger-stall with Nell? Scully hates the brush but she's quite happy to let me use the stall as long as I don't over-do it  :rolleyes: !
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Cleaning Teeth
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 09:30:12 AM »
I ordered my gel from the Furry Pharmacy at 7.30 pm on Tuesday night and it's just been delivered. How's that for service - from the pharmacy AND Royal Mail.

Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional