Author Topic: Whistle Training  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Whistle Training
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 08:43:43 PM »
sounds like the flight instinct stage of puppyhood kicked in, during this time they do turn a deaf ear and conveniently forget lots of stuff you think they know >:D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 09:01:24 PM »
Whilst out on walks with my two, I  call them randomly with the whistle and reward them.  A whistle recall is the ONLY time they get pilchard cake.  :005: :005:
I do call them to me by voice and they get a reward of either a lower value treat or a cuddle  :luv: They are always watching me on their walks.  :luv:  (it's the only time I feel important  :005:)
It is tempting to rush through the stages but I did want them 'conditioned'. I did follow the instructions to the letter but it did help that my girls come from a very biddable line. Having two also helped as they race each other back to get the pilchard cake first.  :005:
I have to say a MASSIVE thank you to Mark (Top Barks) for putting his lessons on this site. I am VERY grateful.  :D

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 09:26:30 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the tips - will start on this pathway when the whistle arrives...p.s how do you make pilchard cake!

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
[I also think it depends on the relationship you have with the dog, I'm the second most valuable thing in his life and i'm usually holding the most important (his ball).
Do you guys ever just sit and feed and cuddle on walks? do you just sit and chill out together, i do lots of this alongside the training.

I guess this is where I am not succeeding. Even though I am Freddie's favourite person and I do chat with him when out on walks, I haven't made a habit of doing a lot of cuddling or chilling out. I do give him a big fuss every walk and try and get him interested in his squeaky ball. I think if I had unlimited time with Freddie then I would have been more successful by now but I have a job 20 hours a week and two children. That's maybe just an excuse and maybe I am lacking motivation? I do more for Freddie than any other member of my family, though.
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Sheepscheeks

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 09:32:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the tips - will start on this pathway when the whistle arrives...p.s how do you make pilchard cake!

Here is a link to a recipe:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=70340.msg1037084#msg1037084
 ;)
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 09:42:24 PM »
Couple of questions- how do you actually know they are ready to have the whistle blown first, without them being already on their way back to you?
Also, I have been doing it where i sit Alfie in another room or in the garden, call his name and then blow the whistle (3 pips) when he's coming back, then praise and treat. Is this right? Should i have him in a stay, which means he is anticipating coming back, or should i only be calling him when he's being 'natural' (which is very hard when i have a pouch full of sausage and he knows what's coming ;))?
Im confused!! :005: xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Sheepscheeks

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 08:25:08 AM »
Couple of questions- how do you actually know they are ready to have the whistle blown first, without them being already on their way back to you?
Also, I have been doing it where i sit Alfie in another room or in the garden, call his name and then blow the whistle (3 pips) when he's coming back, then praise and treat. Is this right? Should i have him in a stay, which means he is anticipating coming back, or should i only be calling him when he's being 'natural' (which is very hard when i have a pouch full of sausage and he knows what's coming ;))?
Im confused!! :005: xxx

I agree it is quite hard to do the indoor/outdoor bit - this is what I did. I called Freddie regardless of what he was doing then when he started to come back to me I started pipping the whistle. Then I tried pipping the whistle without calling his name. He is excellent indoors and in the garden - knows he will get a really tasty treat so comes every time whatever he is doing. Outdoors is another matter, though... ph34r
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 10:35:16 AM »
Sorry to hijack a thread but on a related note how much of a problem is it if someone else has the same whistle as you?

Ive always used verbal recall but now im increasing the distance on some of the training im doing a whistle seems like a good idea except loads of people use whistles round my way and everytime some gives their whistle a blast a number of other dogs obediently coming running.

Offline mooching

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 10:40:01 AM »
I was out with Alfie on some heathland last week; he ran quite a long way ahead towards some people so I pip-pip-pipped him to come back .................. and a lovely collie rushed up to me and sat at my feet as well, looking up at the whistle. The owner looked bewildered, lol (and didn't even seem to have a whistle with her!) :005:

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 11:17:37 AM »
I suppose the way round it is to teach your dog that whoever blows the whistle they come running to you. That doesn't stop you attracting half the park when you blow but at least yours are under control irrespective of where the noise comes from

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 01:18:31 PM »
My dog are very much of the mind set that if someone doesnt do something for them they certainally aint gonna listen to them so tend to completley ignore others commands  :005:

i can only think of two occasions where they have listened to someone else and that was when mark gave Alfie a stop whistle, all mine stopped and they once came in to Nic recalling her dogs.

Genrally people can call/whistle them all they like and even call them by name but unless there the ones walking them they dont give a toss.

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 09:39:56 PM »
Sorry to hijack a thread but on a related note how much of a problem is it if someone else has the same whistle as you?

Ive always used verbal recall but now im increasing the distance on some of the training im doing a whistle seems like a good idea except loads of people use whistles round my way and everytime some gives their whistle a blast a number of other dogs obediently coming running.

My friend with her 3 border collies has the same pitch whistle as me and we have no problem.  My friend blasts her whistle as loud as possible to get her dogs back (just don't stand next to her :005:) but I have two pips for come back (open arms and bending down to encourage if necessary), one pip to watch me (we may be changing direction on our walk) and one long toot to stop in their tracks and wait.  I don't blast the whistle though, the theory being that they listen for the whistle all the time whilst we are out, they mooch and have fun but always expect to hear me telling them something.  99% of the time it works!!