Author Topic: Upset Tummy & Stinky Trumps!  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Louchielou

• Site Member
Upset Tummy & Stinky Trumps!
« on: December 27, 2004, 12:34:25 PM »
Hi All,

My puppy, Bosco, has got a runny tummy and the most wicked smelling trumps ever.  He came home with us on Friday and was ok until yesterday.  I haven't changed his diet, he has food and water on hand all day so am a bit concerned really.

Any ideas or suggestions please??

Ta!

Lou.
 :(  

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 02:58:51 PM »
Has he been wormed? I'd be thinking a vets visit if it doesn't settle down soon, and bland food like rice to see if that helps him tummy. Keep a close eye on him, as pups can get dehyd really quickly, so if  you are at all concerned I'd see the vets to rule out infection or a virus.

Shona
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 04:07:46 PM »
I see you only got him on Christmas eve, this could be the problem -  the stress of a new home. Its advisable when getting a new pet to take them to the vets for a once over within 24hrs of getting them home - just to ensure that they are fit and healthy but I guess with the holidays it wasnt possible. Hopefully he is still drinking ok? If hes still poorly by the morning I would suggest getting his appointment brought forward. As Shona says, young pups can go down hill very quickly indeed
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 05:11:58 PM »
Tummy upsets are not uncommon when puppies move homes - some even react to changes in the water. As the others have said, a bland diet of plain cooked chicken & white rice should settle his tum down. Live yoghurt (plain, unsweetened) is also beneficial (a teaspoon several times a day). I'm not sure whether you meant that you leave food down all day (as well as water) but if you do, he could be over-eating which can also cause a runny tum. If Bosco came from a good breeder, he's unlikely to need worming immediately - perhaps you could check when he was last wormed? If he does need worming, try not to do it at the same time as he has his first vaccination as this could be too much for his system to cope with all at once.

Jane
Jane

Offline Louchielou

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 06:31:33 PM »
Hi All,

Things seam to be little better this afternoon,  not so liquid....if you get my drift. He's drinking plenty and seams happy enough. Will keep close eye on him though.

The breeder recommended that I leave dry food (Purina Beta Puppy Chicken & Rice) down for him to eat when he wants as this is what he is used to. He just goes and gets a mouthful every now and then, unlike my sister's English Setter (Eric) who I used to look after after many years ago, he wolfed his dinner down in about 10 seconds!!

He is due to be wormed again on 04/01/05. The breeder used Drontol so I will ask the vet about it again on Wednesday.

Thanks for the advice.

Lou.

:D  

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 11:31:57 PM »
The breeder recommended that I leave dry food (Purina Beta Puppy Chicken & Rice) down for him to eat when he wants as this is what he is used to.

That's quite unusual. I don't really agree with "free access feeding" & think pups do better on a fixed feeding routine but that's just my opinion - if it suits Bosco, fair enough ;) It won't work if you ever have more than one dog though :lol: Glad Bosco is feeling better anyway :)

Jane
Jane

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 09:22:36 AM »
Glad to hear Bosco is feeling better Lou  :)

I used to free feed Blue (from about 6 months old) and found he was so picky and I was always worrying that he'd had enough to eat  :rolleyes:  but when I got my second dog, Bailey, I then had to give his meals at set times and I've found he now enjoys his meals so much more and I know that he has eaten exactly what he needs too  ;)
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Louchielou

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 11:03:16 AM »
Ta! for the advice re Free-Feeding. I don't want to change his routine too much at the moment. What with the upset tummy, being seperated from his sister etc, I don't want to traumatise him in his early days with us.

Not looking forward to the trip to the vets tomorrow, he was a bit car sick on the way home so I need to find myself a big cardboard box today!!  lol

Thanks again!!

Lou.

:)  

Sue H

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 09:19:05 PM »
I sympathise - I can remember taking baby Barley with me delivering Xmas presents when she was only about 9 weeks - she puked and poo'd but the thing was that the only thing I had available to pop her into for the (reasonably short) trip was our big cool-box ..... I did have to stop and sort of sluice it out ...

When we got home, Simon was due at his afternoon Nursery session, so I quickly bathed Barley in the kitchen sink, wrapped her in a baby blanket, and we went into Nursery with her inside my fleece.  Everyone said 'Aaaaaah, isn't she gorgeous - so fluffy and lovely!'  (Only me and Si knew what she had looked/smelled like not 20 minutes before .....yeeuch !!)

Lots of puppies suffer from upset tummies when they go to their first real home - like Jane explained very well, this can be due to lots of factors, none of which are your fault.  Do keep a watching brief on their liquid intake though, since they need to drink plenty to replace all that water they lose if they are sick or squitty.  You can get electrolyte things to put in their water which helps their system balance again, but do consult your Vet to make sure that there is no other underlying problem ...

Offline Louchielou

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 09:39:16 PM »
Thanks Sue.

Bosco seam's alot better today and I think it's just the "new home - new life" thing, but I will mention it to the Vet tomorrow afternoon.

Ta!

Lou.