Author Topic: Coming When Called....or Usually Not!  (Read 1770 times)

Offline catwillow

• Site Member
    • http://www.lapislumina.co.uk/
Coming When Called....or Usually Not!
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2005, 03:35:18 PM »
I have to say that it isnt just Cockers that are prone to going deaf when interested in something else....

My husbands 2 year old balck lab guide dog, Zeus, still will not come when he is off the lead..... Unfortunately now, after speaking to his guide dogs worker, it has been decided that Philip should not allow Zeus off his lead for free running in the park  :(  Which is such a shame, as he works hard and deserves to play..... but guide dogs and my husband are worried that he will just disappear.... of course Philip being almost completely blind means he could not see where Zeus was going or find his way back if he lost him..... Zeus does have bells on his play collar, which he has on when free running, but once he is out of range of the bells noise then its bye bye Zeus..... It just goes to show that even with his training and my husbands in working with him, sometimes their deaf side just overcomes all  :(

Dogs.... dont you just love em???  :lol:  :lol:  :wub:

Hugs n stuff

Sheri  XxX
Lilly, Murphy & Sally xxx

Offline pippydoo

• Site Member
Coming When Called....or Usually Not!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 12:40:45 PM »
I just wanted to say thanks for all the brilliant advice.  Although Oz os not coming every time when called, I guess it's about a 70% sucess rate.

We've done it using the long line and the gundog whistle and by calling him all the time, not just when the lead needs to go on.  We've also tried the running away and the hiding behind a bush trick which really keeps him on his toes.

I've got much more confident with him now and yesterday I walked him over the fields with no line and he was fab!  Much better for him and for me too.

Long may it continue!