Author Topic: Aggression Towards Other Pets  (Read 3714 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Aggression Towards Other Pets
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 06:14:43 PM »
:( Aw sorry to hear some of you are having problems.   I hope the TTouch works for you.

Cocker hugs from us xxx

Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

scoobie

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 06:39:48 PM »
Kelly I hope you get things sorted out soon I think the TT is a great idea keep us posted ;)  

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »
These stories have surprised me a lot and saddened me; it must be so tough when your doggies don't get on  :(

In my mind I had always 'assumed' that Molo would have a brother or sister eventually; but your experiences have made me consider this carefully; perhaps cockers are happier on the whole as 'only' dogs?

I hope that TTouch and the other therapies and approaches help all the dogs learn to live together more harmoniously  :unsure:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 10:52:22 PM »
These stories have surprised me a lot and saddened me; it must be so tough when your doggies don't get on  :(

In my mind I had always 'assumed' that Molo would have a brother or sister eventually; but your experiences have made me consider this carefully; perhaps cockers are happier on the whole as 'only' dogs?

I hope that TTouch and the other therapies and approaches help all the dogs learn to live together more harmoniously  :unsure:
I don't think you can really say that as cockers do like other doggy company.

I have no problems with my two together at all (never have) as you'll find with a lot of people on this board, in fact Ruby's life has been enriched with Wilf in it (because Wilf knows where he is in the pack, Ruby's boss and he knows it). The only times I have had problems is when the odd foster stays and that would've been solvable in time but I knew he was going to a new home anyway (Rocky cocker now lives with another cocker and a springer and gets on really well with both of them and Sue has never had any problems at all, in fact Rocky's in love with her springer girl Lily).

Sometimes people have hiccups in the relationships with their dogs for whatever reason (that can also include us being at fault), which can be dealt with with time and patience and may be a little outside help.

Mary's problem stems from an adult rescue settling in, and there's often teething problems with rescues adjusting, but as she's found while its been hard she's working through it, and I know she'll get there in the end.

My problem (and I use the word very lightly as its more of an irritation really) just stems from Wilf exerting himself outside the house as he goes through his lager lout phase, which is dealt with pretty well (he just likes to keep me on my toes really).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 12:16:32 AM »
Hi,
Caroline - thanks for your kind words. :D
Penny - I agree that we will get there with Jack. It is early days - we have only had him 8 weeks out of his 8 years, and I think his change in lifestyle has been hard on him. :(
Before we got Jack I read lots of posts here about dogs that got on well - including rescues. I really hope that no-one will be put off giving rescues a chance. I know not all the dogs mentioned on this thread are rescues - sorry probably being over sensitive now.
We're meeting our trainer on 12th - I'll pass on any good thoughts she has.
Good luck everyone!
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 08:36:28 AM »
Rachel (not Caroline :wacko: ) , I wouldn't let that put you off having a playmate for Molo if you realy want one.  Cockers are very sociable dogs and although I know Morgan has always been happy here - he's been king of the house and centre of attention since day one  :rolleyes:  - he's even happier since we got Cooper.  They are firm friends and I can honestly say that that in the 11 months since we got Cooper they have never had one falling out and that's two males ;) .  They play, eat and sleep together with no problems - it's the best thing I've ever done!  :D

I really do sympathise with everyone who is having problems and hope that the Ttouch or other training methods will be successful  :)

EDITED 'cos I gave Molo a new owner without Rachel's permission - duh!  :lol:
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 08:32:59 PM »
EDITED 'cos I gave Molo a new owner without Caroline's permission - duh!  :lol:
:o

Or mine! Sorry Caroline, you can't have him  :lol:  
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2005, 09:01:35 PM »
Rachel - there are no guarantees that two or more dogs will get on or won't. It's the luck of the draw. With hindsight my Jasper would have been much easier and happier as an only child - he hates the competition from Buddy. Only you can decide if you should or couldn't have another when the time is right - but there are lots of things you can do that I wish I'd been more aware of/open to. When you think the time is right - go into it then - don't make your decision now ;)  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2005, 09:02:28 PM »
The confusion I've caused here :rolleyes: !!!

I meant to type that I'd given Molo to Caroline without Rachel's permission :wacko:  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2005, 09:07:26 PM »
don't make your decision now ;)
Definitely not....this thread has made me realise that there is a lot more to consider than I thought  :unsure:  
Oldies Club

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2005, 09:12:12 PM »
don't make your decision now ;)
Definitely not....this thread has made me realise that there is a lot more to consider than I thought  :unsure:
Its a very big decision, and I often pine for another ickle cocker for Indie to play with, but I am scared of it spoiling her, so for now she will remain the one and only :lol:   When the time is right, I will get another but I will get a male, I don't want to take any chance with the same sex thing!  Just want to point out as well, I don't think the problem only affects cockers think it goes for most breeds :rolleyes:  

Penel

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2005, 10:02:18 PM »
I don't agree with "the same sex thing" I think it totally depends on the dogs individual personalities.  I had Saffy and Tilly together for 5 years until Saf died, and now have 3 bitches together with absolutely no problems whatsoever.  I also know plenty of people who have dogs living together with no probs.

Sue H

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2005, 10:27:52 PM »
The most I have had living together are two canines - to put three, four or more together and I think you have to start thinking 'pack' because the hierarchy can start off with one dog as top dog, and then change, for reasons known only to your dogs .....

You have chosen to have  a small 'pack' and you should be informed about how their canid behaviour can vary and fluctuate ...

To interfere is often to crucially rupture their relationship, and very small things to us humans can mean very big deals to dogs !!

If their quarrelling seems unfathomable to you, then please go and see a canine behaviouralist since they can unravel your doggies little brains like no-one else can!!

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2005, 11:28:39 PM »
I'm not sure it's related to the "small pack" thing...because the girls have never been aggressive or assertive so Toby was definitely the top dog (if you go by top dog theories)...I think this problem would have occured if I only had Toby too because the problem started off as aggression towards Toby and then escalated.

We have a behaviourist from the rescue Ollie came from due to come out and see them, and we are also going to try TTouch with Ollie.  I agree that this needs outside help now. Someone with more knowledge needs to see the problem first hand and advise us on how to handle it.

Thanks so much everyone for your support!

sweetie

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2005, 11:40:30 PM »
hope it all works out well,,i,m sure it will,,sorry to hear you are having these problems hun,,keep smiling  it will work itself out,,i,m sure,,good luck sweety,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx