Author Topic: Aggression Towards Other Pets  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Aggression Towards Other Pets
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2005, 09:18:02 AM »
I don't agree with "the same sex thing" I think it totally depends on the dogs individual personalities.  I had Saffy and Tilly together for 5 years until Saf died, and now have 3 bitches together with absolutely no problems whatsoever.  I also know plenty of people who have dogs living together with no probs.
Ive had always had two bitches together with no problems, the only time they grumbled, was when one had more space in the bed    :rolleyes:   i just left them to sort themselves out.  :D If i do get another dog, i will definatly get another girl  :D  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline lindsey

• Site Member
    • Soroden Cockers
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2005, 10:39:18 PM »
I have five bitches all related.  We have had problems with one of them.  Similar to what others here have described.  I saw a behaviourist with all of them who said 'what do you expect when you have a pack of dogs'.  He did also say which made sense with mine that although we thought she was top dog because she was the bossy one who always got her own way she actually wasn't and our quiet older bitch was.  He said that this is why there was a problem because she thought she had to try and be top dog and always challenge the older bitch and the others, although she was not suited to being top dog.  After alot of hard work and re training with her and me she is alot better and happier.  :)   At times I thought we were not getting anywhere with her and often thought that it might get to the stage where she would have to be rehomed by herself, which was obviously upsetting, but I am glad we have carried on with her when we see how different she is now.

Good luck and I am sure you will conquer this given time and alot of hard work> :)  
Lindsey, Sophie, Rosie, Molly, Gypsy, Aimee, Harry and Ellie

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2005, 01:35:32 PM »
:) I have two girls who live together quite happily, except for a few growls when food is about!  When I got Daisy she came from the same breeder as Georgie and she was very helpful in advising me.  She said that Daisy would be a good balance for Georgie and she was right.  Both are absolutely lovely, but different in their ways.  Georgie is very hyper and Daisy is very laid back and they compliment each other really well.  I appreciate that they do not always come from the same place or may come from a rescue, but if anyone has had their first from a breeder, then she/he is probably the best person to take advice from when looking for their second dog   :) x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2005, 10:40:22 PM »
We've go two bitches both spayed both the same age give a couple of weeks but diff breeds a cocker and a westie) and they only argue over toys or food. However in the 15 months we have had them they have only had 2 major rows where biting etc was involved - over rawhide - so no more rawhide in this house lol  :D  

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2005, 10:34:14 AM »
He did also say which made sense with mine that although we thought she was top dog because she was the bossy one who always got her own way she actually wasn't and our quiet older bitch was.  He said that this is why there was a problem because she thought she had to try and be top dog and always challenge the older bitch and the others, although she was not suited to being top dog.  After alot of hard work and re training with her and me she is alot better and happier.  :)
I might be way off mark but I think this is part of the problem I have with Vegas. A few people have commented that he wasn't like that when Brook was alive - Brook was most certainly top dog. I'm now wondering if he isn't at all happy with being top dog which could be causing him some anxiety :unsure:  The problem we then have is that there isn't another dog to elevate to that status - Dallas would have a nervous breakdown if he had that kind of responsibility and Disney is just a pup. Maybe once Disney matures the situation will change.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2005, 10:42:10 AM »
Awww Poor Vegas  :wub: give him a big (((hug))) from me Gill.  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2005, 01:13:27 PM »
About the same sex thing....

When I had both Sasha and Scully there were two bitches under my roof. They fought like you wouldn't believe, and Scully was always the loser. She constantly had bleeding ears from Sash's attacks and the experience left her with a BIG dislike for most other dogs.

When we decided the time was right to get another dog we not only went for another breed (Oscar's a lab) but also for a male. Apart from a few grumbles they get on really well.

Partly I think this is because Oscar is so much bigger than Scully and partly because he's male. I also think it has a lot to do with the fact that Oscar has the friendliest personality of any dog I've ever known. What will happen when he hits teenage-time though I don't know.

I do know that I wouldn't have dared get another bitch whilst we still have Scully - once bitten twice shy  :(

http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2005, 01:37:39 AM »
We've had some input now from behaviourists/TTouch people and things are slowly improving  :) I am feeling a bit more positive about things now, and I feel like I am closer to Ollie again because I don't feel so stressed about the dynamics between them.
They still have their moments and there are still some fights but at least things are improving.

I was speaking to a behaviourist about the same sex thing, and he said that he doesn't really think it's as much of an issue as people believe. He gets as many referrals from people having trouble with opposite sex dogs fighting as he does from same-sex dog families apparently. However, he said that dogs close in age and similar in status can often cause problems, and that problems with two bitches can be more complicated than with two males.

I see them more as squabbling siblings than anything more sinister now. They are remarkably similar to my two sons  :lol:

Ollie is being castrated in a couple of weeks, from what I've been told that may not make much difference to the friction between them, but on the plus side it is unlikely to worsen the situation.

Hope other people who posted are having an easier time of it now too?

Offline PennyB

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2005, 11:21:17 AM »
Glad its getting better Kelly. I also think the more relaxed we become the better we're able to deal with them (but easier said than done I know when you're tearing your hair out for the umpteenth time).

I decided to get a male dog becuase I thought Ruby would be a nightmare with another bitch but as it turns out I know now she would've been fine. I think the only time Wilf wanted to fight in the house with Rocky was more about getting my attention and suddenly finding himself in a position where he was automatically bottom of the pile.

A few of us off dp from South Wales are trying to get booked on a TTouch workshop now at Tilley Farm (I'll be taking madam Ruby with me!).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2005, 12:01:48 PM »
Kelly I am really happy to hear that things are improving for you all  :) Hopefully with all the hard work you are putting in and the light at the end of the tunnel - things will move from strength to strength very quickly now!!  

Sibling rivalry - doesnt it just keep paracetamol in business!! :rolleyes:  :lol:  
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2005, 07:02:28 PM »
Hi Kelly,
You asked way back on 23rd Jan if other people's doggie fights were improving. Sorry for late reply to the question, but I've also had a problem with my son - as in he crashed my PC - again :angry:  :angry:
On the +ve - Jack's getting better and better with recall, and in general his behaviour is good, but on the -ve, they have had the two worst fight ever two days ago, and another smaller one this morning. Jack starting it and Tia finishing it as usual, but both of them damaged. Each time they were locked together mouth to mouth. :o
The vet, as others do, looked at them being well behaved, next to each other and said it was hard to believe they weren't best friends. He too voiced my concern about potential damage to Tia's eye (she only has one...), but agreed that it was still early days, and thought that after another 3 months things would be better again.
The trainer said I should try lots of on and off lead with him and wants to come to walk with us in the local park to see if she can spot anything. Most of their fights are outdoors, and at the point of one of them having a lead on or off.
The clicker is doing well with his human interactions, but his dog social skills are very poor! I've ordered the book that Penny had spotted to see if the clicker can also help with his doggie skills.
Ho hum,

Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!