Author Topic: Bald Eyes  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Bald Eyes
« on: January 07, 2005, 03:28:16 PM »
I noticed recently that Tilly appears to be losing some of the hair around her eyes.  It's only a bit,  doesn't look sore and isn't bothering her, but I popped her down to the vets anyway.  Vet could proffer little explanation apart from possibly being a form of dermatitis and gave me some Fuciderm gel "in case of infection".  I have two concerns about this, firstly the gel will only treat the symptoms, not the cause and secondly, it is hydrocortisone and hence, I am using it with caution.

Has anyone else had similar problems with their cockers and if so, how did you treat it?  I don't mean to appear paranoid about this, but I am curious and naturally want to do the best for Tilly.

Many thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Sue and Tilly

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Bald Eyes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 03:41:58 PM »
Blue also has a little fur loss around his eye's too, it happened last year, I also took him too the vets but my vet didn't want to treat him as there were no other symptoms and monitered it for a while, and although Blue never did have other symptoms the hair around the eye area has never grown back, but he is on no medication, is not uncomfortable at all and it doesn't bother him in anyway  :)  
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Bald Eyes
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 04:45:18 PM »
In bitches it can be a hormonal imbalance.

My bitch that has 9.5 week old pups has lost the hair around her eyes, but I'm not worried, I have seen this before & it will come back in time - when her hormones have settled back down - she was still feeding them at 8 weeks.

www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Bald Eyes
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 08:28:06 PM »
Dallas has had this for a while now but, to be honest, I never thought anything of it as it doesn't seem to bother him and certainly hasn't got worse.  But now you have brought it up, might just mention it to the vet when he is in for his booster next week :rolleyes:  :P  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Bald Eyes
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 10:01:49 AM »
In bitches it can be a hormonal imbalance.

Thanks Maria, Kim and Gill for your reassurance  :) .  I'm interested in the hormonal suggestion,  because I mentioned to the vet in passing that Tilly was still being bothered by boys even though her season ended in October  :o .  The vet said that it was probably hormones, but she should have settled down by now.  Guess the eyes and the interest from the boys  may be connected.  Can dogs have hormone therapy  :blink: ?

Would be interested to  hear what your vet thinks about the hair loss, Gill.

Sue and Tilly

Penel

Bald Eyes
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 04:35:58 PM »
I definitely wouldn't use Fuciderm just for that !  its not sore is it ?  totally unjustified use of steroids if you ask me - as it is absorbed through the skin - as you said - use with caution - I'd give her some Evening Primrose oil and or some fish body oil - basically essential fatty acids, which are good for the coat....

Offline f.a.brook

• Site Member
    • http://sculbrook.hazybek.net
Bald Eyes
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 09:10:52 AM »
we have am american who done this losing hair around her eyes and also he nose pigment and eye pigment colour has gone i posted it on champdogs and they said try her on zing to try and get the pigment back it has worked abit but nothing much is there anythine else i can do
fiona
HEY EVERYBODY! i have a brand spanking new website! new website :) :)
PLEASE leave me a message in the guest book at the bottom of the home page
Love to you all
Fiona

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Bald Eyes
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 09:56:38 AM »
we have am american who done this losing hair around her eyes and also he nose pigment and eye pigment colour has gone i posted it on champdogs and they said try her on zing to try and get the pigment back it has worked abit but nothing much is there anythine else i can do
fiona
Dorwest's Elderberry & Nettle extract is excellent for pigmentation - I give it to Ruby when she gets her "winter nose" (her black nose goes brown in winter) & it definitely helps.

Jane
Jane

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Bald Eyes
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 04:10:43 PM »
Don't you have to be careful not to give this in the Summer months?
Can it not overheat, or am I thinking of another remedy ?
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Bald Eyes
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 05:27:24 PM »
Don't you have to be careful not to give this in the Summer months?
Can it not overheat, or am I thinking of another remedy ?
I've only ever used it in the winter but just checked Dorwest's site & they say "It can be given throughout the year without fear of overheating the system and is suitable to give with any feeding regime as well as to pregnant and lactating females". I think perhaps it's Kelp (seaweed) that should only be given in Winter?

Jane
Jane