Author Topic: Pulling While On Lead  (Read 1437 times)

scoobie

Pulling While On Lead
« on: January 09, 2005, 01:24:24 PM »
Scoobie has nearly always pulled when on lead walking( not so much as when he was younger but still pulls nonetheless).. he's better when there is just one walker ;) anyway I started to stop when he pulled and have often kept this up but don''t seem to have got far some days better than others ;) I just kind of resorted myself to the fact he will always pull unless I teach him otherwise and I know consistency is the answer and we do try really hard ;) Scoobies not what I call a confident dog he's great with people and things he knows but he needs time with strange things for instance yesterday the bird feeder fell out of the tree due to the winds and all the nuts and feeder were on the back grass  ;) I let scoobie out to do his business and there he is frantically barking at the feeder on the grass on full stretch tail wagging wanting to investigate but not sure kind of thing ;) well thats just a taster of what he's like and we love him warts and all anyway my story is this I bought a waterproof coat made to measure with a piece that goes underneath him and he wore it for the first time today and guess what I thought I had another dog :D he didn't pull me once not to investigate sniffs or anything he had his usual sniffs but was so lovely i was completely gobsmacked I tapped into this and praised him for being so good :D Im starting to wonder if he feels secure you know like the tellington touch body wrap that I have only read about but I don't know all I can say is if he keeps walking like that wearing his coat he will be the only dog in the village with his coat on in the summer :D  
forgot to say that he can't wear his harness with his coat and all the lovely walking was collar and lead only

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 02:17:40 PM »
Hi Edith it does sound as though the coat is making him feel secure,  we put a halti on Meg who was a very nervous girl, and it seemed to give her convidence a big boost, she wasn't perfect, but she was lot better when she wore it :D  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 02:30:35 PM »
wow  :D  sounds like you might be onto a winner there.  

sportsmonki

scoobie

Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 02:36:18 PM »
Barb I think your right I have tried scoobie before with a halti and thats how he used to walk when wearing it but he got stressed out and would throw himself onto the ground to get it off ;)
Sportsmonki I am calling it a magic coat :D hope it lasts :D  

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 03:40:25 PM »
:lol: Where do I get one !!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

(Or two preferably!)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline kellys mum

• Site Member
Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 09:47:36 PM »
Yes plese tell us where you had it from. Kelly is a nightmare on the lead i find myself running into the woodland so i can let her off the lead to save me the embarrasment. She was great when she was really young but now wow im still  trying tho.Julia :D  

scoobie

Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 11:09:07 AM »
Julia I bought his coat from www.gillrugs.com they are based in Devon you need to give exact measurements which is on there website I also got the tummy protector and the elastic( to hold the coat on with his back legs) added on as extra I think this is making him feel secure  ;) not saying it works with all dogs but so far works a treat with scoobie ;) I know what you mean about running everywhere ;) and keep on with the training let me know how you get on
ps the coat is a waterproof one it's not what I call a warm fleecy coat I haven't had one before but needed something to protect him from the muddy countryside the coat helps a lot but I need mud guards as added extra and they don't do them (joking) :D  

Sue H

Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 08:17:53 PM »
Am I missing something ???

My two simply throw themselves into every bit of river/stream/wet patch that they come across....

We get them home, put their coats on and they are fine ....

If we are walking them some way away, we take their coats with us so we can put them on when we get them in the car ...

Are we cultivating a breed of Cockers who are complete wimps and whine and witter if they are cold or wet ??!!

Perrhpas these owners should have KC Spaniels or other Lap Dogs ....

scoobie

Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 10:28:10 PM »
Quote from: Sue H,Jan 12 2005, 08:17 PM

yes you have missed the plot completely ;)
don't like your sarky comments Sue and it would pay you to read the thread before you comment

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 11:48:29 AM »
Perrhpas these owners should have KC Spaniels...

And what on earth does that mean, Sue?

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 05:47:06 PM »

My two simply throw themselves into every bit of river/stream/wet patch that they come across....

We get them home, put their coats on and they are fine ....

If we are walking them some way away, we take their coats with us so we can put them on when we get them in the car ...

Are we cultivating a breed of Cockers who are complete wimps and whine and witter if they are cold or wet ??!!

Perrhpas these owners should have KC Spaniels or other Lap Dogs ....
Sue - yet again you have made a post that is offensive to people who are simply trying to do the best for their beloved pets.  You seem to have such a chip on your shoulder with your constant suggestions that breeders are charlatans out to con  people out of their money and making owners appear brainless.

You have already been put on moderated posting - I sincerely hope it helps you look at what people have asked for help with and keep your replies to helpful comments based on fact.

What Edith was actually saying was a coat has had a positive effect on a dogs previously nervous behaviour and that that might just help others. Nothing to do with breeding or encouraging wimpy dogs.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 11:31:12 PM »
Perrhpas these owners should have KC Spaniels...

And what on earth does that mean, Sue?

Mike, I think Sue means King Charles Spaniels. That's about the only thing I can make sense of with her postings lately  <_<

Sue, when are you going to start pulling in the same direction as the rest of us?

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 04:10:16 PM »
lol scoobie, the magic coat  :)   They sound like a very nice coat also, with the extra protection underneath to stop the feathers getting muddy.  (wish i knew about them before I bought storm her coat)  

I was chatting to someone involved in horses the other day, and I was interested to hear of horses who are calmer when wearing a specific rug or sheet, particularly it seems when they are being boxed and transported or moving between box and field...made me think of scoobie  :)  .  

Sue   :( , I had thought of writing a long message to defend the king charles and other 'lap dogs' as living with and being involved with the cavalier king charles spaniel my entire life i feel i can back my opinions with facts and experience of a similar breed.  However, I do not wish to start a flaming war and so will refrain from doing so, but will just suggest that many dogs from these breeds in particular are no less of a dog that any other, are not all inately wimpy and water/mud-loathing, and do not fit the 'stereotypical view' of them that you implied.  

sportsmonki  

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 04:46:50 PM »
Julia I bought his coat from www.gillrugs.com they are based in Devon
Great website - have you seen their star model on the site: a blue roan cocker  ;) ?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
Pulling While On Lead
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 08:11:40 PM »
:) this coat sounds brill if you think about it a nervous or jumpy baby will feel more secure and settled when swaddled or wrapped in a blanket , perhaps this is what the coat does , im all for it do they do them in big peops sizes might order myself one  :lol: