Author Topic: Smelly And Red Jowels  (Read 2486 times)

Offline mick

• Site Member
Smelly And Red Jowels
« on: January 10, 2005, 06:24:35 PM »
Hi Folks, New member here.

I am asking if anyone has had or has the same problem as we do.

Our Cocker Jess is coming up for 7 years this year and he has had for the past year a problem that we cannot seem to cure.

His jowels smell very bad and leaves a red stain on his fur..It seems to be worse on his bottom jaw and he constantly rubs them on the carpet.

We have visited the vet on many occassions and they have given us many remedies from cream to shampoo. None appears to work. My wife cleans his teeth but the problem persists.

The vet now wants to operate but we are reluctant to take such drastic action and are resisting this cure as they want to take away the flaps of skin from the bottom jaw.

If anyone has suggestions or has had their dog through this type of operation and can assure me it was simple and safe then it would be appreciated.

Not sure if its significant but he also has red around his paws and this seems to be getting worse

Many thanks.
Mick.    

Offline lindsey

• Site Member
    • Soroden Cockers
Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 06:32:08 PM »
Have you tryed washing them with hibiscrub twice daily or using a small amount of thornit powder on them! :)  
Lindsey, Sophie, Rosie, Molly, Gypsy, Aimee, Harry and Ellie

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 06:34:48 PM »
My friends boy had this op two months ago and it's made a massive diffrence to him. He suffered for a long time with recurring infections and soreness with regular doses of antibiotics and hibiscrub etc etc - but nothing worked well enough to eradicate the problem. He was sore for a few days but is now a much happier chappy :D

If all else fails - then the op has to be considered.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline mick

• Site Member
Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 06:37:25 PM »
Hi Lindsey,

Many thanks for the response.

Hibiscrub and Thornit are they sold at the Vets and do you use them every day

Thanks and regards.
Mick.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 06:43:20 PM »
:) Hi Mick

You can read about Thornit and where to buy it on THIS thread :)

I can't help with the hibiscrub, i'm afraid, its something I haven't used myself.

Hpe things improve :)  

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 06:58:58 PM »
You can get Hibiscrub from the vets but they'll likely charge you a premium. You can get it very cheaply from any pharmacy - about £2.60 for a 500ml bottle. All you do is wet a cotton pad then tip the hibiscrub onto the pad then wipe along the side of the mouth. Do this a couple of times a day. I find it very effective on my Buddy - but he's not had it as bad as it seems Jess is.
Pam n the boys

scoobie

Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 07:05:08 PM »
Hi Mick and welcome to COL sorry to hear your Jess is having problems I haven't any experience of this but it doesn't sound very nice :( hope you find a solution soon and keep popping back there is some great advice on here ;)  

Offline mick

• Site Member
Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 07:10:50 PM »
May i take the opportunity to thank everyone for their advice on this problem our jess has it really is very kind of you all.

Its also reasurring that the op works in case of last resort.

Pammy when you say you wipe the side of the mouth do you mean inside or outside.. Sorry if it sounds a stupid question.

Best regards.
Mick.

Offline PennyB

Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 07:16:57 PM »
Magna on here also had the op done on one of her dogs and I know she's always recommending it.

My vet has often told me how successful and simple it is as an op and will cure the problem.

I used Thornitts on a cocker (I fostered him for 4 weeks) recently who had really badly infected lipfolds and it worked really well.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 07:29:20 PM »
Pammy when you say you wipe the side of the mouth do you mean inside or outside.. Sorry if it sounds a stupid question.

Mick - not a daft question at all - don't go right inside the mouth - but do lift up the top lip so you get along the side of the jowl.

hth
Pam n the boys

Penel

Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 09:36:07 PM »
Tilly has got this too - Thornit did help a bit - but Flowers of Sulphur powder has helped massively in the last week or so, its nearly all healed up now - I too am resisting the op - Tilly's brother had it done, and it took him 2 weeks to get over it - apparently he was really sore, couldn't eat etc...

I got Flowers of Sulphur from
http://www.karistosharpei.co.uk/Sharpei%20skin%20care.htm

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 12:25:24 AM »
Just remember to dilute the Hibuscrub  ;)  I've used it for ages, haven't had the need to use Thornit yet, though apparantley that works well to. Some dogs are more "jowly" than others and therefore more prone to lip fold dermititous. Good luck with Jess let us know how you get on  :)  

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 03:46:39 PM »
Boysie gets recurring lip fold dermatitis, and we too are resisting the op (I'm always worrying he won't come round). I would suggest that when cleaning his lower lip, to try to open out the offending folds, as often this is where food and water collect and make things worse. I've just got some Thornit and have also started to add some organic apple cider vinegar to his water, to try and 'manage' this. He didn't have it when we rescued him, his first attack was about 6 months after we got him - makes me wonder if we have been doing something wrong...........

Offline lindsey

• Site Member
    • Soroden Cockers
Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 04:40:37 PM »
Sorry I didn't reply to your question, only just got on computer but it seems it has been answered, hope it helps :)
Lindsey, Sophie, Rosie, Molly, Gypsy, Aimee, Harry and Ellie

Offline mick

• Site Member
Smelly And Red Jowels
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 07:17:31 PM »
Thanks everyone you have all been very helpfull and I will certainly try the methods you suggest,

About Jess he is coming up for seven and at the age of 2 we took him with us to Dubai for two years. Up to this time he was show groomed but after one week in 38c my wife bless her decided enough was enough and took the shears to him  and gave him a short back and sides.

It meant walking him at 5,15 every morning before the sun rose and again at night at between 7 and 8 pm and even then it was a task for him.

First month and after the initial short back and sides we noticed he was licking his privates and we really could not understand it until we discovered he had sunburn on his testicals poor lad. So my wife Coral took to putting sun cream on them...Blimey the things you go through.

Anyway two years years later and we came back to the UK as I had to have a hip replacement. Five weeks after having it done and I was walking two mile with our jess over rough ground... He got me moving real quick after the operation and its all down to him that I have no problems 4 years on.

He's a good un who enjoys a three mile walk everyday and two shorter ones and he would carry on going if we let him.

He has a heart of gold and likes his routine (Dont they all) with only one problem and that is he is so faddy with his food its unbelivable,,,Give him best steak and he will turn his nose up at it.

Thanks again and best regards.
Mick.

P.S. Must really find out how you computor wizards manage to have a photo next to your posts so I can put one of Jess on.