Author Topic: Walking Harness / Lead  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Walking Harness / Lead
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 09:28:08 PM »
I, for one, would have loved a puppy class to take both my boys to, but unfortunately there hasn't been any here for a long time.  I've read book after book on how to train them to walk on a loose lead but there's no substitute for having someone physically show you what you're doing wrong (or right as the case may be).  I think the Kennel Club Training Schemes are great.

I too, made the mistake of using a flexi-lead with Morgan and I'd say it's the worst thing I ever did.  Cooper has never had one on.
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Walking Harness / Lead
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 09:38:48 PM »
I have been using the stop method with Brogan now for 15 months - he still isn't perfect but - 90% of the time now Brogan walks with a lovely loose lead.  Put it this way my 5 year old is now able to hold him while we walk to school and he trots along lovely with him B) Never thought it would happen.  Lots of positive praise and rewards for the right behaviour and being very consistent is finally paying off - it certainly didn't happen overnight <_< and we aren't out the woods yet either :blink: not by a long shot.

I used a gentle leader headcollar when I was unable to use the stop method - when this got chewed by Brogan  :rolleyes:  :lol: I bought a harness.  It is very rare now that I use the harness - I do however use his training lead as a harness when distractions increase beyond his capabilities for self control - I pop the handle end over his head so that it sits at the front of his chest - the tiniest amount of pressure reminds him to drop back a little.  The handle of the training lead is obviously a lot bigger than a normal dog lead - just incase anyone thinks I am stuffing his head into a little gap :D

If I go somewhere new and exciting - I wouldn't expect Brogan to be able to control himself enough to walk nicely - so I go back to the harness in this situation - instead of extinguishing months of training by moving forward with a pulling dog.  Using both methods for us work well together.
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09