Author Topic: Lights, Shadows & Reflections  (Read 1254 times)

Offline HoneyBee-Lullaby

• Site Member
Lights, Shadows & Reflections
« on: January 16, 2005, 12:11:46 PM »
Hi,

I'm wondering whether anyone can help.  My cocker spaniel Amber has now discovered lights, shadows and reflections in the living room when the sun is shining.  She has been running around for hours looking for them, and obviously never actually finding anything.  At first we thought she would stop but now we're a bit worried.  We've tried distracting her but even food isn't working.  Will she grow out of this?  Does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 12:17:22 PM »
Will she grow out of this? 
I wouldn't count on it  :lol:

I used to keep an adult Bouvier x GSD occupied for hours by playing with a 'tinkerbell' - the light from a torch twirled on the ground or floor of a dark room......a large room, obviously  :rolleyes:  He'd revert to puppyhood, pouncing and yapping - wo betide anyone who got in the way! Any reflection or shadow attracted him.... I've tried getting Molo interested in this type of game and he just looks bewildered  :lol:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 12:20:30 PM »
most dogs that I've come across are fascinated by light. Try using a torch to move the spot light across the floor and watch them go bonkers trying to catch it. Was always a favourite game of ours when we were younger. My boys love chasing light. :D

Most animals find reflections bizarre because they don't understand the concept. They think it's another dog, cat, fish, whatever. I think they get confused though by the lack of scent from this new playmate. But all animals - probably exluding the stickies - have found reflections fun/interesting. When I used to keep tropical fish - mirrors were often used to get Siamese fighters to show off their featherings on their fins and stunning colours.  :rolleyes:

My cats would try and scrap with their onw reflections which was hilarious. Jaspr and Buddy just tend to look bemused :lol:

I don't think it's anything to worry about - just normal behaviour.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline HoneyBee-Lullaby

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 12:24:15 PM »
Thanks for that.  It's not really the lights that's I'm worried about.  She spends hours looking for them and can't seem to settle.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 12:38:53 PM »
Most animals find reflections bizarre because they don't understand the concept. They think it's another dog, cat, fish, whatever. I think they get confused though by the lack of scent from this new playmate.
Molo got totally freaked when I was watching Big Cat Diaries - it looked and sounded like and animal but didn't smell like one....he even looked behind the TV to see if he could find it  :lol:  :lol:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

tracee

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 02:20:31 PM »
cambell is obsessed with bird shadows when he is out side he has to chase them as they fly over but as of yet has not learnt to stop before he hits the wall  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
                       tracee

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 09:54:21 PM »
;) 
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 10:49:08 AM »
Dads springer will close the bathroom door so you can make finger shadows on it for her to play with. She will also carry a lit torch in her mounth and watch the light out the corner of her eye!

This is one of her most favourite games!!! :D  
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 10:57:34 AM »
My springer does this too - someone thought it was funny to shine a torch along the floor, and watch her chase the light beam - it WAS funny, but it leads to an obsession - which is what you're perhaps experiencing now Honey-Bee? It got way too much for me when Jazz leaped on top of me to catch a sunbeam on the wall behind me, knocking my boiling hot coffee all over me.

We try to avoid allowing too much light into the room if possible i.e. close the blinds if it's too sunny. Torches are banned! :D And most importantly, what worked for us was to substitute this obsession for something entirely more manageable - get out the old tennis ball, which grabs her attention immediately. At least this is one behaviour pattern we can control, if you know what I mean  :)  

Offline catwillow

• Site Member
    • http://www.lapislumina.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 04:30:04 PM »
The only thing I have found that sets my lot off particularily is hot air balloons   :)  Belle, hubby's retired guide dog, in particular is funny about them, I think she is worried about them stealing her bones   :rolleyes:  :lol:
Hugs n stuff

Sheri  XxX
Lilly, Murphy & Sally xxx

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 05:21:30 PM »
My first dog 'Squiffy' used to chase a torch light - amused her for hours - have to be honest - it amused me too.
Vahri and Ruffy don't bother with shadows/light - but Ruffy just love to sit and look at himself in the mirror - handsome as he is - it looks vain  :lol:  

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 08:15:35 PM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais