Author Topic: Change in food causing upset tummy  (Read 437 times)

Offline Mollys Mum

Change in food causing upset tummy
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:42:27 AM »
Molly is 15 weeks now and we've recently changed her puppy food.  She was only beta purina when she came to us from the Breeder and seemed to be thriving on it, lovely coat etc but I noticed it was one of the cheapest in the pet shop so wanted to make sure I was giving her the best start.  They suggested i moved her to James Wellbeloved.  We weaned her off over 2 weeks and that seemed Ok but now that she is on JWB purely on its on, she has very very loose poo (was like water this morning).  Has anyone got any good advise on this especially if we decide to change her food again, do we have to introduce it slowly or can we just change?  Thanks in advance - really want to get this sorted as i think she looks skinnier this week.

Offline mooching

Re: Change in food causing upset tummy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
It might be the food, or it could be just that she has an upset tum from something else. Could I just ask what variety of JWB she is on? (some people have reported this kind of thing with the duck variety) Does she have anything else (eg treats, bits of human food)?

What I'd suggest though right away is that you don't give her any kibble today, but give her something bland like some cooked lean chicken or boiled white fish, with a little well-cooked rice. Was there any blood at all in her diarrhoea? And (sorry!) what colour was it?

Offline Happygal

• Wispa now 2 years old
Re: Change in food causing upset tummy
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 07:50:20 PM »
I had this problem with wispa when I tried to change her food, not too long after getting her settled in with us. Loose stools with some blood in. Once i put her back on the original food she was absolutely fine again. It did coincide with me worming her so it could of been that causing the loose stools etc.

I read somewhere that it takes 3 or 4 days for a dogs enzymes to adjust to new food so I've always believed in doing the changeover gradually.