Author Topic: Alfies humping the kids!  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Jo-and-Alfie

Alfies humping the kids!
« on: February 15, 2011, 08:37:25 PM »
 :005: My 10 year old daughter shouted to us 'Alfies' hugging my leg!'  he then did it to my 12 year old too :embarassed:
Is this a dominance thing? the kids haven't really done much with him training wise as I'm trying to get it right myself first so i know what works. I think I'll let them do some training with him, he's really good at sit now with or without treats so I guess that could be a start.

Any ideas/advice welcome as I haven't had a puppy before, not of my own, we had puppys in the family home when I was about 12 but thats a while ago!

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
Re: Alfies humping the kids!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »
It will probably just be excitement, Meg does it sometimes when my little cousins come and get a bit hyper- she's a girl and she's 9 :005:. We just have to tell them to stay calm around her. We keep and eye on her and say 'No!' and call her to us when she tries it on, little monkey!
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline mooching

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »
Any ideas/advice welcome as I haven't had a puppy before

Yup, tell them not to let him do it. They need to get up and walk away the second he starts doing it (and preferably before, if you can teach them to recognise the signs that he is about to do it).

It's not "dominance", it's just his hormones.

Offline Jo-and-Alfie

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
ok thanks, I didn't realise his hormones would kick in so early, he's only 10 weeks. It could have been excitement, my daughter does do a singy song voice to him, no matter how many times I tell her to talk calmly, maybe she'll listen now  :005:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »
Didnt realise he was only 10 weeks- bless him :005:. Just try and move his attention onto something else- tell your daughter to grab a toy and to play with that instead, this worked for Alf when he had his err excitable 'moments' as a baba ;). At his age i doubt it will be anything sexual, just an over excited little pup :blink:
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 09:28:41 PM »
Brodie (female) was humping at 8 weeks :005:. Definitely not dominance, more excitement than anything - we just distracted her with a toy, although we had to make sure it wasn't too big or she'd hump that too :lol2:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline mooching

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:53:01 PM »
ok thanks, I didn't realise his hormones would kick in so early, he's only 10 weeks.

Alfie started humping his toys at 9 weeks.   :shades:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:52 PM »
Maggie did the same thing at about 9 weeks... pure excitement, just distract him with something so you get a more "acceptable" behaviour out of him at the time... favourite toy or something like that  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:45:58 PM »
ok thanks, I didn't realise his hormones would kick in so early, he's only 10 weeks.

Alfie started humping his toys at 9 weeks.   :shades:

They do hump at that young age,Ruby did too.It definitely isn't dominance,but most likely play and/or excitement.As far as i'm aware i don't *think* it will be hormonal humping,but i'm sure there will be someone very knowledgeable in that department to tell you  :D

As Mooching said,as soon as it starts,tell the children to walk away,as best as they can with a puppy attached to their leg  :lol2:  or try distraction.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Jo-and-Alfie

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 08:18:25 AM »
  :005: thanks for the replies. Will tell the kids what to do.

Offline curly_locks

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »
Now I'm a wee bit worried :o Sonny is 7 months and has never humped anything! I'm hoping he'll never start to be honest :005:

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 09:18:41 AM »
Now I'm a wee bit worried :o Sonny is 7 months and has never humped anything! I'm hoping he'll never start to be honest :005:

Ah I wouldn't worry about it! bailey is nearly 5 and has never humped anything in his life!!  :lol2: