Author Topic: Desperately Seeking a Firm Stool  (Read 2688 times)

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
Desperately Seeking a Firm Stool
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:52:15 PM »
Well, there really isn't a good way to say it is there!  ph34r

Harvey's thriving in all ways  :angel: - and although he loves his food - it all gets very squidgy on the way out. I don't want to try lots of different foods on him and risk him getting picky (although, that idea sounds almost ludicrous as he'll eat anything, even if it's not edible!)

Am I right in saying that a squidgy poo is likely caused by too high protein content in the food? (assuming there are no other health problems). He does quite a bit of squatting - a good poo (squidgy though) and then it's a little drippy at the end. <<<<<I really apologise for that bit - but it's a crucial part of the story!

Any advice for firm stools (now I've started saying it I can't stop!) would be most gratefully received!
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline mooching

Re: Desperately Seeking a Firm Stool
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »
Am I right in saying that a squidgy poo is likely caused by too high protein content in the food? (assuming there are no other health problems).

I've never heard of that before, and it's certainly not been the case with Alfie.

What food (and treats) is Harvey on at the moment?

Offline maddy74

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:03:24 AM »
Ive been having the same prob with our pup but she is only 9 weeks so weve given her chicken and brown rice for the past few days and that seems to have done the trick, im not sure though what you could do in an older dog long term. Its a worry isnt it? I bet someone will be along with some sound advice soon. Hope they are firm soon  :005:

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 12:13:26 AM »
 :huh: and there's me thinking he was having too much protein! I'm trying him on plain old Pedigree dry food at the mo (please don't stone me - am trying to find a balance!) I've tried burns, still squidgy - he was on a special diet up until a few months ago (for his legs - for the life of me I can't remember what it is called, I think brain is tired!) and I've tried meat and rice. Still squidgy!

He gets a pigs ear a couple of times a week - and he has pilchards once or twice a week mixed with dry food (no change in poo though, still the same whether pilchards or no pilchards)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:18:26 AM »
Pigs ears are very fatty, go 'straight through' Meg, it might be best to drop those from his diet and see if that helps
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:21:56 AM »
hmmm - was thinking that - but even when we've not had pigs ears for a week or so - he's still got the squidgys!  ;)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »
Yep I'd cut out the Pig's Ears. They went straight through Niki, Keli and Tali, so I stopped giving them, with the result being the kind of stools you so wonderfully described.

Welcome back, BTW, was just thinking about you half an hour a go and wondering how Harvey is doing :bigarmhug:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:27:14 AM »
Hiya Mel - thank you  :blink:

I hope you and yours are well - got to go find some updated pics of your boy  :luv:

There's some pics of Harvey in the working cockers thread for an update  :blink:

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:30:48 AM »
Tali has a birthday slideshow from I think 9th Jan in Parti colours. ;)

Free Cake!

Offline mooching

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 12:31:52 AM »
:huh: and there's me thinking he was having too much protein! I'm trying him on plain old Pedigree dry food at the mo (please don't stone me - am trying to find a balance!)

I understand that you're just trying to get this sorted, it's just that I personally wouldn't be feeding Pedigree as I'm not fond of cereals being the main ingredient, or the "meat and animal derivatives" (you don't know what part of what animal they've put in any one batch). I prefer to feed a kibble where the meat is named and is the main ingredient. I would honestly suggest trying a high quality kibble such as Arden Grange, Barking Heads, Skinners or Royal Canin.

When you say you've tried meat and rice, what meat did you give him?

And when you tried him on Burns, which flavour did you try, and over what period did you change him over?

Re his treats, I'd suggest cutting out the pig ears (they are very fatty), and change him to something lower in fat such as ostrich tendons, veal sticks, venison-based treats or cow ears (lower in fat than pigs ears).

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 01:02:47 AM »
Hiya - yes, I agree re: Pedigree, to tell the absolute truth, I'd run out of Burns so got a bag of Pedigree from the local shop, thought I'd give it a go, see whether it helps (it hasn't!!) and am using it up at the mo. I didn't pay as much heed to the ingredient list as I should have...now I know (thank you  :-*), I shall definately look at something else.

Have tried Arden Grange (Squidgy) - over about a month - and Burns (Lamb and rice) over about 3 months (not so squidgy, but still a bit!!).

I've fed him chicken and rice over the last two days for more runny poop than usual...(which I'm putting down to the Pedigree!) He's still a bit squidgy, but not as much poop if that makes sense!

Will take a look at Barking Heads, Skinners and Royal Canin - any of those three more recommended do you think? I've heard good stuff about Barking Heads - not heard of Skinners - will go and do a Google :o)

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 01:12:30 AM »
Of course you could try raw.

Free Cake!

Offline mooching

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 01:52:27 AM »
Have tried Arden Grange (Squidgy) - over about a month - and Burns (Lamb and rice) over about 3 months (not so squidgy, but still a bit!!).

Which flavour of Arden Grange did you try? The thing is, it could be one particular meat that is affecting him. If you didn't try it already, I'd suggest the salmon and rice, or the ocean white fish and potato. (If you email or phone them, they will send you a free samples of each).

I've fed him chicken and rice over the last two days for more runny poop than usual...(which I'm putting down to the Pedigree!) He's still a bit squidgy, but not as much poop if that makes sense!

I would suggest trying him on white fish and rice, instead of the chicken and rice, just in case it's the chicken that isn't agreeing with him, and see if that makes any difference.

Will take a look at Barking Heads, Skinners and Royal Canin - any of those three more recommended do you think? I've heard good stuff about Barking Heads - not heard of Skinners - will go and do a Google :o)

Barking Heads will also send you samples if you ask them. Skinners are definitely a good make - you might find that SCATS have it, if you're ever Newport way. Skinners may well also send samples if you ask them. For me I'd probably rate Barking Heads and Skinners about the same, and then Royal Canin slightly below them, but that's just a personal preference. Barking Heads and Skinners both do a salmon and rice variety for sensitive tums.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 07:32:44 AM »
Could be the rice that's upseting his tum too.
When had problems with Meg as a pupster, the vet recommended potato and chicken which REALLY didn't solve anything, I then tried potato and fish but still had a girl with an upset tum - now if she does manage to steal potato / chips etc she has a violent bout of diahwhatsits within half an hour  :-\
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 08:26:35 AM »
Thanks all for your advice - I think, from everything you've suggested, I'm going to go the fishy route next and phone up for samples! :o) He adores anything fish related, and I hadn't even thought that he just might have a sensitive tum - poor liddle boy! When he has his pilchards, the poop's the same, (because I've mixed it with kibble) but no worse....sooo, this could be the answer!

It's like a fine science this isn't it!  :-\

I shall monitor results and report back in fine detail!!  :005: