Author Topic: Drop On Recall  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Drop On Recall
« on: January 20, 2005, 01:03:02 PM »
Has anyone had any success in teaching their cocker to drop on recall and if so, how did you do it?  Tilly will lie down on command at a distance, but when she is running towards me, she just keeps on coming, even when I am telling her "Down".  Bless her, she just can't wait to get to me , but that's not what she's supposed to do.  

I would like to succeed at this for a couple of reasons - predominantly it is great from a safety perspective to get her to drop on command if she is running into danger and also it is a required element of her Gold Good Citz Award.  Everyone else in the class has cracked it (mostly spaniels and including other cockers) but poor old Tilly just hasn't got it  :( .  I'm sure it's just that I am not communicating what I want her to do properly.  Any ideas anyone?  

Sue and Tilly

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Drop On Recall
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 02:24:04 PM »
Can't really help, but Kyro will sit on a recall or where ever you tell him to at any distance away, but if you tell him 'down' whether in recall or just a plain 'down' he will walk all the way up to your feet then lay down. :blink:  
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Drop On Recall
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 02:53:43 PM »
Has anyone had any success in teaching their cocker to drop on recall and if so, how did you do it?
Yes followed by not got a clue ;)  :lol:  :lol:  

This is Vegas' speciality - I no longer even have to verbally command him, I just click my fingers and point to the floor. He took a long time to master the down command in the first place - while the other dogs were instantly going down, I was having to get him into a sit, then lure him into a down :rolleyes: But he got the hang of it eventually and will now go into an instant down. When we started doing the emergency stop exercises, I tried all the usual 'stop' 'wait' commands but he just kept coming :rolleyes:  In desperation one week, i shouted 'down' and down he dropped ;) So I stick with that command when doing these exercises.

Edited to add:- Just had a thought - have you tried doing the exercise with her on a lead? Maybe the trainer could take her lead, and when you give Tilly the 'down' command, the trainer would at least be able to stop her from running any further and then you can give her the command again while she is still. It may work that way if she is good at distance control :blink:  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Drop On Recall
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 03:44:35 PM »
I have!!!!!!!! :D  GLOAT!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:  :P

Fern and willow (when she feel like it) will drop on comand. Have you trained him to stay, cos that is where i started. I never used any reward, except for praise (good girl) and a sit hand gesture helped. Remember the instruction has to be clear 'DOWN'. The only thing i can think of is that my command to Lie down is so strong they just hit the deck when they hear it no matter where they are! :lol:  :rolleyes:

Other than that i don't know how i did it!

Ive already got Gypsi and Bryony to roll over on command too!

Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Drop On Recall
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 09:09:40 AM »
BIG CHEER :D  :D

Kyro went into a 'Down' at the other end of the lounge last night, first time he has done this without walking up to my feet and then'Down'

Maybe a bit of progress B)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Drop On Recall
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 11:48:44 AM »
I am so jealous of you all!  I will keep working with Tilly on this one and I'm sure we'll get there in the end  :rolleyes: .  Thanks for the tips Gill, I will try the lead method with my lovely assistant, Emily , and see if that helps Tills get the idea  <_< .

Sue and Tilly

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Drop On Recall
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 11:55:26 AM »
Kyro now does this at a distance 'most' of the time. So we gave it a go on a recall, He did it 'down' on the recall, admittedly only after a few steps and indoors but hey we can't have it all, yet to try in in the garden, grass is too wet and so is Kyro when it comes to water... :lol:  

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Drop On Recall
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 12:38:58 PM »
He did it 'down' on the recall, admittedly only after a few steps and indoors but hey we can't have it all, yet to try in in the garden, grass is too wet and so is Kyro when it comes to water... :lol:
Now you're just rubbing it in  :lol:  :P .

Still jealous  ;)

BTW Tilly is the only dog I have ever had who will walk around a puddle rather than going through it  :lol:  :lol: .  Emily says Tilly's the wussiest wuss in all of Wussland  :rolleyes:  :lol: and I think she's right, but sounds like Kyro is there too when it comes to water  :D

Sue and Tilly (ww)

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
Drop On Recall
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 05:58:23 PM »
:lol: hun will do everything else but DOWN nooooo chance when  i say it in my sternest voice kids and OH go commando on the floor hun just looks at them as if they are daft  :lol: oh well back to the drawing board ha ha ha  :blink: