Author Topic: Why Did He Do It ?  (Read 933 times)

Offline lorri

• Site Member
Why Did He Do It ?
« on: January 22, 2005, 12:56:56 AM »
Hi

Had just walked to school this morning with Jarvis who is nerly a year old and on our way home we met a boy who we know and is 6 year olds. He stopped to pat Jarvis,the boy wasnt jumping around and didnt take jarvis off guard and gently put his hand down let Jarvis sniff him.  Well Jarvis just went bonkers, started jumping up and down and nipping his fingers. The boy continued to stand there a little in shock i think and Jarvis began growling and the got hold of the boys coat pulling at it when i intervend and pulled Jarvis away. I apologised to the boy and asked if he was okay,which thankfully he was and didnt appear to distressed.

I couldn't believe it as although Jarvis often jumps on people in an excited manner he hasn't growled and nipped people like that. He's is very used to children as i have 6 year old son and lots of children visiting and the boy didn't threaten him in anyway!!!

I have been really upset about this all day, i just couldn't believe it. The other day also when we were out walking a man was crossing the road away from us and was smiling and laughing at Jarvis taking me for a walk when Jarvis started pulling in his direction growling and barking. I must be doing something wrong and really want to nip this behaviour in the bud if possible. Please any advice greatly appreciated as he's such a gorgeous if not cheeky boy the rest of the time.

Thanks

Lorraine Mitchell and Jarvis

scoobie

Why Did He Do It ?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 03:15:29 PM »
Hi Lorri I hope your feeeling a bit better today it's not your fault and nothing you have done that made Jarvis react that way maybe something spooked him ;) if your really worried you could always make an appointment to have one to one training just a suggestion hope things work out for you and try not to worry you'l get it sorted  

Offline PennyB

Why Did He Do It ?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 04:08:46 PM »
I have been really upset about this all day, i just couldn't believe it. The other day also when we were out walking a man was crossing the road away from us and was smiling and laughing at Jarvis taking me for a walk when Jarvis started pulling in his direction growling and barking. I must be doing something wrong and really want to nip this behaviour in the bud if possible. Please any advice greatly appreciated as he's such a gorgeous if not cheeky boy the rest of the time.

Wilf does this occassionally (he's 19 months old). Then I think its because for whatever reason that person (or object) scares him even though he was very well socialized as a pup. If someone stands in an odd way (to him especially from a distance so he can't quite make it out) or is carrying something weird he does this (the fisherman drive him nuts when they carry the huge fishing bag they have as to him its something to be scared of). I will often put him back on his lead (if he's offlead) and walk him up to the person and explain and let Wilf say say hello to him and he's usually fine then. He barked at the postman the other day (who he likes and had seen minutes before but then we were in the vets, whcih he also loves, sad boy, and the postie was outside and lifted up the boot of his car and stuck his head in it and Wilf went ballistic).

Jarvis may still continue to do this sort of thing but may be a trainer will show you how to deal with it when it happens.

May be the boy had a scent on him that made Jarvis act like that
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lorri

• Site Member
Why Did He Do It ?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 04:22:42 PM »
thanks very much for the replies and after sleeping on it im feeling a little better and you know what i think it could have been after you mentioning scents. The little boy has lots of cats and im wondering if it was that, that got him over excited.

We havent been to training classes for ages and i think it might just be time to re visit. I will keep you up to date.

Thanks again

Lorraine

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Why Did He Do It ?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 04:31:11 PM »
:( Aw sorry to hear you were upset about the incident with Jarvis.  Don't feel bad, I'm sure there was a reason for his unusual behaviour and may well have been the cat scent.

Take care x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline PennyB

Why Did He Do It ?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 04:51:51 PM »
:( Aw sorry to hear you were upset about the incident with Jarvis.  Don't feel bad, I'm sure there was a reason for his unusual behaviour and may well have been the cat scent.

Take care x
If you can get a 1-2-1 they are worth every penny and can cover stuff that you can't do in the class.

Dogs I think do sense things about people as well. Sam our old cocker would meet and greet everyone into the house with the usual excitement but when one of my friends (who my mum always thought was quite odd anyway), Sam used to sit away from her and just give off a low growl every time she came by. I guess dogs are like us in that they don't necessarily like everyone but may be are a bit more honest in their feeling than us sometimes.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!