Author Topic: Post Op Arching  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Post Op Arching
« on: January 28, 2005, 11:44:45 AM »
Jazz was spayed yesterday, and was really groggy yesterday, the vet has told me she may be quieter than normal for a few days. I imagine having sitched in her tummy makes er very sore, but do you think its normal thats shes constantly walking with her back arched, aliek she is holding herself in. He wound is very neat, and small, she is having pain killers. i know shes very sore as she wimpers when she wants to sit next to me, there is no way she could jump up anywhere, as shes having trouble walking about. She is eating food, and her taiil !!

Is there anything I give her to make her more comfotable.

Thanks

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Post Op Arching
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 11:55:02 AM »
Scully used to walk like that when she came home from being spayed. I put a lukewarm (not hot, just in case of accidents) well-wrapped hot water bottle in her bed and she seemed to really like to curl up round that.

Hope Jazz is back to her normal self soon.

http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

scoobie

Post Op Arching
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 03:06:06 PM »
Sorry Cathy can't give any advice but want to send get well soon wishes to Jazz x
hope she's feeling better soon ;)  

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Post Op Arching
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 03:19:43 PM »
Cathy - no advice her either I'm afraid, but hope Jazz is back to normal soon.  Lots of cocker kisses from us xxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline lynnebr

• Site Member
Post Op Arching
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 06:28:48 PM »
Cathy - no advice either just a get well soon message from Mya and me. :)  :)
The look on the vets face when I went to pick Mya up after she had been spayed.  What a noise Mya made. The vet was trying to reassure me that she was ok and just didn't like the pain. I've never heard howling like that from an animal :o  :blink:  :o . She got an injection and lots of painkillers to take home. She wasn't herself for a few days but soon was back to her old self.
Try the hot water bottle (not too warm and well wrapped) it seemed to help Mya too. ;)  
Lynne and Mya xx

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Post Op Arching
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 06:43:05 PM »
I don't remember Goldie displaying much discomfort after she was spayed,  but she is a very stoic dog and never lets me know is she is in pain.
I imagine Lottie will be very vocal if I have her spayed :lol:

I would think that Jazz is walking arched to save putting any strain on her tummy, which must be feeling very sore. As long as she is eating and going to the toilet ok, then I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on her and plenty of TLC :)  

Sue H

Post Op Arching
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 07:33:40 PM »
Keep an eye on her spay incision - there will doubtless be haematomas around it, but the stitches and the actual incision should remain pink.  If there are any areas that become dark red or swollen or any discharge, either from the wound or from her bottom, then take her to the Vet straight away, since she may need antibiotics.  

They all recover at different rates and with varying degrees of comfort or complications, but the main thing is that you know your dog, and if you feel at any time that she is in pain or in difficulty, then your Vet would want to know and to see her again.

Loads of TLC and kisses are in order I think !!

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Post Op Arching
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 09:11:24 PM »
Try Arnica  :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline PennyB

Post Op Arching
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 11:46:21 PM »
Arnica is meant to be quite good after spaying:

Arnica (after spaying or when injured): Arnica 30c tablets from your local chemist or health food place - they help considerably with the bruising which is inevitable after an op. Give her 2 every two hours during the first 24 hours, and 2 every 3-4 hours for the next couple of days
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Post Op Arching
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 12:10:14 PM »
Arnica is meant to be quite good after spaying

I never thought of that! Arnica is fab in people so it should be good for dogs too!

I have been using arnica cream on my bruises from my horse kick and its done wonders.
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline PollyKay

• Site Member
Post Op Arching
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2005, 01:24:55 PM »
I think it may be the doggy equivalent of being bent over with tummy ache.  Sammy used to do it when his colitis flared up. (only my opinion, don't know for definate)
Polly (& Sidney the Cavalier)[/size]

Offline PennyB

Post Op Arching
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2005, 04:12:36 PM »
Arnica is meant to be quite good after spaying

I never thought of that! Arnica is fab in people so it should be good for dogs too!

I have been using arnica cream on my bruises from my horse kick and its done wonders.
I've been told to use the tablets for dogs though as its best to let wound heal as dry as possible
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!