Author Topic: Just wondering........  (Read 2107 times)

Offline caroljayne

Just wondering........
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »
at what age did you let your puppy off the lead?

At puppy class on sunday I was chatting to a women who let her 12 week old pup off the lead  :o

Carol xx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Just wondering........
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:28:57 AM »
12 weeks for me  ;)  best time in my opinion as they are very happy to come back to you very quickly as it's their first forays into the big wide world and you are the centre of that big wide world   :D 

worked very well for us  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Uli

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »
I let Paula off lead on her first day with me already, she was 9 1/2 weeks old. We were in a little forest, nobody else around, so what should have happened?
No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich! (Louis Sabin)

Offline caroljayne

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:36:48 AM »
OMG - really, I thought it would be when they were like 6 months old lol.

Did you try and find an enclosed area somewhere?

Carol x

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 11:45:45 AM »
Morgan was off-lead from his very first woodland walk as soon as he was allowed out. They usually stick quite close to you and don't want to be more than a few steps away from their people. Morgan was very keen to explore the woods but even so he kept looking back and raced over to us when called even though all the new people he met were quite interesting too  ;)
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:50:59 AM »
Basically as soon as she was allowed on the floor.... when they are that young they really do look at you as their whole world, so basically don't stray too far! Obviously make sure its in a safe environment so either enclosed park area or far from any roads etc but go for it - its very scarey, but lovely all at the same time  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline JulieM

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
Hi Carol,

I haven't plucked up the courage yet either, beyond at puppy training class when we've been learning recall.

I've just ordered a long line as the trainer said this might be a way for me to let her loose (well sort of) and build my confidence up (and train her). They said this was better than waiting as they're more likely to run off if you wait until they're 6 months plus. Not sure whether everyone else thinks this is a good idea?

Offline black taz

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 12:33:07 PM »
all have mine have been off-lead on their first walk after vacinnations.  Our trainer encourages early off-lead exercise.

Offline Carol09

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
Same here, Jay was let off the lead after his last lot of vaccinations.  We were under the impression that they would not stray far due to their age and the fact they only know you.  We was very reluctant and felt sick but we did it and he was fine.

I feel worse letting him off the lead now he's 2 as his recall is pants at times. >:D  :005:

Offline Dimples

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 12:42:15 PM »
Robbie was off lead from Day 1 of his outdoors life. He stuck close and loved the freedom but also didnt venture too far.  This was in a wooded/field environment.  I let him off lead in parks and rec grounds too. He runs off after his doggy pals but always runs back.

Only do in a safe environment though. ;)
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »
Have always let them off the lead as soon as we are allowed and out and obviously only in suitable area's  :D...be brave and good luck  :D

Offline black taz

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »
and plenty of nice smelly treats and rewards when they do come back.

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Same here, Jay was let off the lead after his last lot of vaccinations.  We were under the impression that they would not stray far due to their age and the fact they only know you.  We was very reluctant and felt sick but we did it and he was fine.

I feel worse letting him off the lead now he's 2 as his recall is pants at times. >:D  :005:

This rings so many bells  :lol2:.  We did let Louis off his lead as soon as possible for the reason others have mentioned - when very young they tend not to stray too far - but we always started off in a very 'safe' environment.

Offline dawn

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »
We cheated a little and let ours off after the first vaccination at 7weeks.

But only in a nearby field where we'd never seen any other dogs go. He would wander/charge about, but always followed us and was never more than a few metres away.

Now at 15 weeks he runs around in the woods, always follows us and so far always comes back to his name or a whistle. Our problem is getting him to walk well, if at all on a lead  :005: ......but thats a whole other topic!

Have fun in the sun! :o

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »

Early off lead here to Dylan at 16weeks think we had our fingers croosed behind our backs at the time :005:  Jessie as soon as she was allowed on the ground at 13 weeks.