Author Topic: Health test question  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Health test question
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 10:45:52 AM »
Thanks ;) If we do breed we want to do it properly ;)

Excellent :shades: Will you be hip scoring too? Hip problems are definitely not unknown in the breed so if you really want to do it properly, it's something I'd consider.
What does it involve Jane? Our old GSD was hip scored but as I was younger I don't remember what was involved?

Your dog is sedated and x rays taken which are then sent off to the bva for scoring. You will need to produce your dogs pedigree and microchip documentation so the microchip number can be put on the x rays.

I have to say as your wanting to do it right I would use the best stud dog I could find and not the male dog you own. It always just strikes me as lazy breeding when breeders use their own dog.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »
Monty has a good pedigree, good lines, he is a Good dog ;), I don't want to overuse a stud that has flooded the lines as is happening a lot. He has the most fabulous temprament and as long as he comes back as clear I see no reason why not to breed using my own sire. He will not be studded out either. He has a nice head and good body form , Belle is of good pedigree lines too and I think they would complement each other perfectly. They are both solid colours with absolutely no worker in their pedigree and as I have said both come from established show lines. I initially wanted a second bitch but when we decided on him his pedigree etc were considered as it was always a possibility of breeding from him. We havent just got 2 random ok ish dogs and thought why don't we have some pups :huh:
Nothing Lazy about it, though I am sure you didn't mean to come accross as rude ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »
It wasn't rude but honest.

I didn't say monty wasn't a good dog but are you really saying out of all the dogs in the country (not necessarily well known over used dogs   ;) ) that monty is the BEST match for bell? Because that's what you should want, not a good or even great match but the best possible match.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 01:33:48 PM »
No of course I am not saying that from all the stud dogs in the Country that Monty is the best match. But within a reasonable travel distance (with of course timing being essential) there are lots of well known overused IMO studs, a few unknown quantites and some good studs from reliable breeders which may or may not be a better match than Monty? In my humble opinion as Monty ticks all of my boxes , health tests pending of course then it is in Belles best interests to have her first mating with a dog she is familiar with on territory she is comfortable with. That is important too.
Monty is a good match I can vouch for his fab nature and that he is in sound health, he will not be mated to other bitches so no chance of infections etc. I appreciate what you are saying but he is genuinely a good match for Belle, SHOULD we decide to go ahead then I really see no reason for not using him. I do appreciate all input ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »
Tbh its belles best interests not to be mated at all so if you are going to do it travelling won't be that bigger deal for her in the grand scheme of things.

It's in no dogs interests to breed and a huge asking of them which should only be done for very good reasons.

It's up to you to decide if the reasons you want to breed justify putting your dogs through it and which way to do it is best.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 01:55:18 PM »
If every prospective breeder took that advice there would be no more dogs :huh:, I never asked for reasons why I should or shouldn't breed my thread was asking for information about health tests, which other posters have been kind enough to give. You are expressing your opinion which you are entitled to but I didn't ask whether I should or should not be breeding :-\ I do understand where you are coming from and everyone with a dog and a bitch should not breed their dogs regardless and that should not be encouraged.
My reasons for breeding are not money orientated (it will end up costing money which I probably won't recoup) I want to breed Healthy, sound, well bred pups that will be endorsed and found the best homes possible, I am a stay at home Mum with time to devote to pups, I intend to keep and start showing a home bred pup. I have money put aside for the health tests and for the raising of the pups. I have not fully made a decision yet but when it is made it will not be on a whim or in ignorance.
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline louisedi

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »
If you mate
               CARRIER---CARRIER   you will get QUARTER= AFFLICTED
                                                             QUARTER= NOT AFFLICTED
                                                              HALF     = CARRIERS

If you get a copy of the cocker spaniel club WELFARE REPORT, results will be in there.

worth testing all dogs,
cocker spaniel club are having a optigen testing clinic, 17th July       

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »
Thanks, will get both tested ;) just been looking on the Optigen website and am a bit confused as to how you get FN done at the same time,? payment to 2 seperate companies but just 1 blood specimen? Also are most vets up on what needs to be done regarding blood samples, advice from anyone who has been through it would be much appreciated, Thanks
Jo, Belle and Monty

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 02:15:24 PM »
Less dogs, not none   ;)

Your right your thread was about health testing but also that you will be using your dog on your bitch, when you said I want to do it right all I was doing was explaining that to a lot of people right means best.

I wouldn't of mentioned what's in belles best interests if you hadn't brought it up yourself

Your dogs, your choice what you do   ;)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »
If Monty was 2nd rate then I would agree with you, but he really isn't and I am not just saying that to justify myself, You gave your honest opinion and I appreciate that but you are implying that I am settling for Monty cos its easy but if I honestly felt that they were just average with regards to compatibility then I would go elsewhere, of all the studs I have investigated some offered more with regard to show lines but then their 'flaws' all dogs have them even top show dogs, accentuated her flaws so there is a lot to be considered. Of those none offered more in terms of lines and compatibility than Monty, so why should I go for another stud that would offer no more than Monty? Just so I don't appear lazy :huh: :huh: :huh:
I would really like to get back to health testing now if thats alright ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »
Also are most vets up on what needs to be done regarding blood samples, advice from anyone who has been through it would be much appreciated, Thanks

It's been a few years since I've submitted any samples for testing but it would be worthwhile printing off a copy of the instructions from the Optigen site and let your vet have a look before the appointment is made. The whole process is pretty straightforward but not all vets carry the correct tubes required for submitting the samples so would need to get some in before the appointment.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »
No of course I am not saying that from all the stud dogs in the Country that Monty is the best match.

Yet you would settle for monty and not her best match

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »
I would strongly advise against mating two maidens dogs if you are inexperienced, they could injure themselves and you need to know what to do if they get into trouble. Have you got mentor to help you.
Cayley.

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »
In fear of being shot down in flames,  ph34r I just wanted to stand up for Bajoleth here as it appears she's being bashed down for being lazy/irresponsible when I really don't think she is! As Bajoleth says, she is on here doing research into health tests. In her opinion, she looked at the lines and dogs overall confirmation and temperament and feels the dogs are well matched, she is sensibly looking into health tests before she continues any further. She is getting things checked and questions answers ready before she starts planning (something far too many do not). Sometimes I do wonder if its worth having a 'breeding' section to the forum as I have seen so many times people get haulted over the coals for thinking of breeding. Yes, okay, its good to point out things that may have not occured to people but to then keeping going and going at them is unfair, especially when they're making enquiries to ensure they do things correctly and responsibly ahead of comitting to it!

Right, ducks and runs for cover!! 

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 04:37:15 PM »
Also are most vets up on what needs to be done regarding blood samples, advice from anyone who has been through it would be much appreciated, Thanks

It's been a few years since I've submitted any samples for testing but it would be worthwhile printing off a copy of the instructions from the Optigen site and let your vet have a look before the appointment is made. The whole process is pretty straightforward but not all vets carry the correct tubes required for submitting the samples so would need to get some in before the appointment.
Thankyou ;) Will do
Jo, Belle and Monty