Author Topic: Tracking training?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline tritonx

Tracking training?
« on: July 03, 2011, 06:59:19 AM »
My ESC has just turned two and is showing some diligence and interest when I ask him to find something. I've been thinking he would enjoy some challenge for his mind as he's very biddable and enjoys performing the various things he's been taught. The other night I played a game with him where I make him sit and stay round the corner of the house and then hide his frisbee (favourite toy). When I release from the stay, he trots around intently, very business like with his tail wagging. He quickly found the frisbee hidden behind pots and bushes, so next time I hid it high up in an arbour, tucked in so only the edge was showing. Same businesslike trot round the garden and fairly quickly he went to the base of the arbour and circled it, looking up. Same with the frisbee hidden inside a bush. I think this is all quite clever of him. Are cockers tracking dogs by breeding? I thought they were designed for flushing out game. Anyway, my only reservation about signing him up for some kind of tracking classes is that while his recall is very good, if there is another dog or person in the distance, he will go and greet and won't come back immediately. But he does recall quite soon after he's had a quick greet. So, his recall isn't rock solid. Are there other standard commands they have to be solid on before he'd be allowed in a class?  Basically, he's trained to the level of convenience and safety, but isn't one of those dogs who show immaculate obedience though he's not particularly disobedient or strong willed. He's just mostly following his own nose and sometimes it's hard to break in and get his attention. From what I've described, does it look as though tracking class would be an option for him?

Offline sallyb

• Site Member
Re: Tracking training?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 08:10:16 AM »
Cockers are used frequently for drug searches which I suppose is similar to tracking although I hope they don't let them taste what they're meant to be searching for!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »
Are cockers tracking dogs by breeding? I thought they were designed for flushing out game.

Yes, but first they have to find the game. That's tracking  ;)

From what I've described, does it look as though tracking class would be an option for him?

Absolutely! Novice tracking is done on a long line anyway, the most useful, but not totally necessary command needed would be "sit". It's pretty easy to teach tracking on your own too  :D Go for it, the dogs love it  :blink:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_12?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=tracking+dog&sprefix=tracking+dog

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »
Did tracking with my cocker, Emily, in South Africa.  She did very well as their natural tendency is to put nose to ground.  Of all the disciplines I have done with her (obedience, agility, working trials), she has enjoyed tracking the most.  No reward required, she just enjoyed doing it.  Is most fantastic feeling having dog tracking, 10m line and trusting your dog.  Have battled in the UK to find tracking classes though. 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline praia

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 11:22:48 PM »
You don't necessarily need to have perfected recall with your dog to get into tracking as it's typically done with the dog in a tracking harness and on a long line.  What you're doing right now is a great introduction for your dog, though I would start associating the sit command as way of him telling you that he's found his target.   

I've been doing a lot of tracking and scent discrimination with my own dog and he loves it and excels at it.  I'm sure your dog will have a great time at it too.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 05:32:04 AM »
It sounds as though I should get him started. He's a great sitter, but I haven't trained him to sit from a distance (if you know what I mean, him 10' off and responding to a sit command from a distance). He's likely to look at me with head cocked. Or just snuffle off. I'm in Canada and in a small town, so I'm not sure what's available, but if not will have a look for a tracking training book. He always looks so focused and happy when he's finding something for me as if his genetics and temperament just want to do this thing. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline praia

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:05:30 PM »
Start associating sitting with finding the object in a confined and controlled space.  I wouldn't let the dog have much slack and room to track ahead until he's a little more advanced. Letting the dog forge ahead and having trust in his abilities at a further distance should come later in his training.

When I first started training my dog we were side by side with me sweeping my arm around the area to guide him in his scenting. I first started by hiding things in hard to get places for my spaniel.  For example, up on dressers, underneath furniture, etc.  He would have to sit before I'd retrieve the object and give him his reward, the reward usually being a ball.  We also practiced hiding items under identical items that were lined up, like cups or cans.  He'd have to sit next to the can hiding the item before being rewarded.  They quickly learn what is the appropriate action to take and will offer the behavior at a further distance once you've proofed the behavior in a controlled setting and situation. 

If you're serious about taking up tracking, I recommend that you get a harness that is specifically designed for tracking and pulling.  Pet harnesses are okay to a point, but you want a harness that would best distribute pressure around the dog as you want to encourage pulling as you get more advanced in training.   In tracking the dog is leading you somewhere, vs leash walking a dog where you should be the leader.  This is what I have for my spaniel:

http://www.fordogtrainers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=3605

Taking classes would be great but there are plenty of decent tracking books available as well as some nice training video tutorials online.  If you already have a dog who is gifted with the drive and talent, not much guidance on your part is needed as you're only manipulating and refining behaviors that come naturally to him.  Good luck with your training!

Offline tritonx

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 05:17:59 AM »
Ahh, thank you. I was wondering how to approach getting him to sit when he finds something as I've always focused on getting him to retrieve things and hand them to me. I was wondering how to overcome the previous behaviour. Excellent. I'm pretty sure he'll just love learning to track. He so clearly wants to please and so happy when he knows he's got it right.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 10:03:25 PM »
Tracking training should focus the dog on getting his nose down and following a trail towards the article/ toy (as opposed to wind scenting).  We started tracking with me holding Emily (line short) with trainer showing her the toy and walking in straight line away from us to about 20m.  Toy was shown to Em again, and then put down in the grass (which was long enough to hide it).  As Praia mentioned, not too much slack early on.  In the beginning, no sit or indication was taught, just lots reward and play for finding toy.  Once they have the idea and are focussed on finding the toy, you can introduce a wait or sit command. 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline tritonx

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 10:38:42 PM »
Since the dog can see where the toy is put down, won't it just trot over without tracking?

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 11:56:11 PM »
Since the dog can see where the toy is put down, won't it just trot over without tracking?

Initially, yes. What you are doing is showing the dog that there is something to be found.  :shades: You'll progress quickly from there

Here are some good methods to get you started also:

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-activities/article_378.aspx

http://ezinearticles.com/?Teaching-Your-Dog-To-Track&id=510440

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline tritonx

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 03:11:07 AM »
Thanks. Very clear instructions on how to go about it. Right now I'm miserable with a summer cold, but if it looks as though I might survive, I'll start to work with him. First cold I've had in years and I Do Not Like.

Offline praia

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:33:03 AM »
I trained my dog for tracking a different way.  At least for my dog, I think hiding a toy in his sight like that would make him think he's being sent to retrieve it, which is what I do with him for marking and retrieving exercises.  Scent discrimination always came first so that he knew exactly what article he was searching for.

Usually this was achieved with typical household items by rubbing food on them (hot dogs are great for this) and slowly phasing out the hot dog scent till the dog is strictly scenting the article.  Tracking was trained by also using little bits of hot dogs to first mark out the trail, gradually diminishing the amount of hot dogs and making the amount of space between wider till it got to the point where he was strictly scenting the dragged target article.  I always had my dog sit and wait out of sight while hiding items or i'd throw a towel over his head so he couldn't see.  If they already know that finding a specific item gets them rewards, which should have been previously established in scent discrimination training, then he doesn't need to see something being hidden from him to know that it must be found.  

Some other bits of advice: start training outdoors in the early morning or after rain as it's easier for the dog to scent then, start with easy exercises as you want to build up your dog's confidence, start with interesting articles that easily hold scent like leather items.  I started my dog with an old rolled up sock that had a bit of rabbit scent soaked into it.  We've since moved onto more difficult items like dollar bills.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:26:54 AM »
My friend who competes her dog showed me how to start Millie off. We marked out a short straight line with two weave poles on longish grass. She held Millie at the start while I shuffled along leaving a bit of food every few steps, at the end pole I left a favourite toy. Then I held the line attached to a harness and encouraged Millie to put her nose to the ground, as soon as she pulled I had to encourage and let her go on while letting her keep a steady pull. The idea is she 'tracks' along the ground finding rewards as she goes and then huge fuss and play when she finds the item at the end. Then you make the distance longer, add turns and start adding items along the track. The dog should begin to associate following the scent trail you have left with finding the food or items and getting the reward.

Millie has a rock steady sit when training so I could quickly practice on my own. But you need to get used to letting them pull as when tracking properly they have to lead you and you know when they are really following the scent and not casting around.

Millie

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »
Some other bits of advice: start training outdoors in the early morning or after rain as it's easier for the dog to scent then, start with easy exercises as you want to build up your dog's confidence, start with interesting articles that easily hold scent like leather items.  I started my dog with an old rolled up sock that had a bit of rabbit scent soaked into it.  We've since moved onto more difficult items like dollar bills.

When starting a dog, I laid my own tracks for my dogs on mornings when there was a lot of dew, that way I could see where the track was, as well as it being ideal scenting conditions for the dogs  ;)