Author Topic: Finding a new Lamb-based Kibble  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Vicki

• Donator
Finding a new Lamb-based Kibble
« on: August 14, 2011, 09:22:35 AM »
Looking for some advice please!

In NZ Sally was fed Canidae Lamb & Rice which is a decent single-protein kibble from the US. We supplement this with fresh lamb and the occasional tin of sardines. Unfortunately Canidae doesn't have a UK distributor. As we didn't want too many changes for her when we moved, we found a German distributor that ships to the UK, so she could keep on eating the same food for her first couple of months here. See below:

https://ssl.kundenserver.de/www.cats-country.co.uk/sess/utn154e4773aeaad23/shopdata/index.shopscript

However going forward we do want to switch to something that is easier to come by - but still a single-protein, lamb based food.

From initial research, I think Barking Heads Bad Hair Day (Lamb and Rice) might be the closest match to the Canidae and a respectable 52% meat content when compared to Arden Grange, Burns and James Wellbeloved.

I know feeding is a mine-field, but would appreciate any input from COLers re. their experience of Barking Heads, and whether there are any other options out there that I've over-looked.

Thank you!  :)

Offline Evadee

Re: Finding a new Lamb-based Kibble
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 09:34:44 AM »
We use Barking Heads tender loving care (chicken &r rice) with Tia and it suits her fine.  I chose that one because she was on Barking Heads puppy days before which was chicken salmon and rice, I didn't want to change ingredients too much and risk upsetting her nice firm stools  ;)

Prior to Barking Heads Puppy days she was on James Well Beloved puppy and then junior but found her stools were loose all the time.

I would recommend the Barking Heads definitely to try, especially as you think it's the closest ingredients wise to what Sally was on before.  The ingredients seem pretty straight forward.

You get get the smaller 2 kg bags from some places (useful to trial) but I'm sure they will send you a sample if you request via their website anyhow.

Hope it all works out for you and Sally.

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »
I would use barking heads if it was more easily accessible but have settled for Arden Grange and TBH my cocker thrives on it, he was diagnosed with Pancreatitis at a very young age and was on medication for 18 months but since the swap to AG he is off his meds, has put on weight, has a lovely silky smooth coat and things have 'firmed' up beautifully.  On the down side it didnt suit my younger dog and she put a lot of weight on.  It may be work contacting several different manufactures and requesting samples as not all foods suit all dogs, all the best with your search, it is a minefield >:(
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 04:14:20 PM »

I have used Barking Heads for the last couple of years. Jessie has the salmon and potato and Dylan their Senior.  Their coats are good and their poops.

Erica.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:43:53 PM »
Burns do lamb based kibble as well, and they are good for trial packs.  Worth a wee shout maybe?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:48:42 PM »
Another one you may want to try is Harringtons - they do a lamb based one, I have it for Katie as she cannot have Burns, and it is not too expensive either.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Vicki

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 09:37:16 AM »
Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated! :)

I've sent off for a sample of the Barking Heads (hadn't thought of asking for free samples - so thanks for the suggestion!)

I had a look at the ingredient list for Harringtons, however the 5th ingredient is 'meat meal' without stating what kind of meat. Sally is on a beef-free diet, so we try and avoid any products that aren't completely transparent about what they include.

It makes me feel like a ridiculously over-protective parent  :embarassed: but when she eats beef she gets horrid skin flare-ups so it's just not worth the risk. 

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:09:33 PM »

It makes me feel like a ridiculously over-protective parent  :embarassed: but when she eats beef she gets horrid skin flare-ups so it's just not worth the risk. 
Might make YOU feel like that but the way I see it , it just proves how much she means to you!!

I am the same with Fred and what he eats (I also bake him treats every couple of weeks and will also be making him a birthday cake again this year ph34r ph34r). Just a pity I dont take as much care with what I eat in comparison  :005: :005:
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline ficos mum

• what's that mum!!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 09:30:26 PM »
did anyone know that barking heads is manufactured by MARS yes the chocolate. a friend at our flyball club discovred this by chance when looking at the ingredients . we were all giving it to our dogs. Just the thought put me off  :D its amazing what you find out when you dig deep,,, :005:

Offline Evadee

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
did anyone know that barking heads is manufactured by MARS yes the chocolate. a friend at our flyball club discovred this by chance when looking at the ingredients . we were all giving it to our dogs. Just the thought put me off  :D its amazing what you find out when you dig deep,,, :005:

:huh:  ?  Mars own Pedigree, Royal Canin & Whiskas not Barking Heads as far as I can find out.  These big companies take on so many little companies it wouldn't mean any difference to the product.

You've got me thinking about dogs eating mars bars now  :005:

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:07:16 PM »
Another one you may want to try is Harringtons - they do a lamb based one, I have it for Katie as she cannot have Burns, and it is not too expensive either.
Mine usually have Gelerts premium Lamb and rice, but sometimes the shop i get it from have a little 'gap' between deliveries which has happened this week, so I buy Harringtons whilst I am waiting , my 2 have cast Iron Stomachs and the change makes no difference to them ;). Anyway I had to buy some Harringtons in Morrisons today and it was only £2.00 for a 2.5kg bag ;)
My 2 were always Burns but Monty doesn't keep his weight with it so I swapped , but I do like Burns ;) However my 2 have small poos, great coats etc on the Gelerts/Harringtons so would def recommend them to anyone looking for a more 'reasonable' kibble ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Vicki

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »
did anyone know that barking heads is manufactured by MARS

That's quite funny, because if there was anything that was putting me off Barking Heads it was the 'bubble-gum branding' and daft product names!

Offline Vicki

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »
Mine usually have Gelerts premium Lamb and rice

I hadn't heard of Gelerts before. Looks interesting - definitely no beef and a higher meat content than Burns, Arden Grange etc. (35% compared with 21% and 30%).

Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »
Mine usually have Gelerts premium Lamb and rice, but sometimes the shop i get it from have a little 'gap' between deliveries which has happened this week, so I buy Harringtons whilst I am waiting , my 2 have cast Iron Stomachs and the change makes no difference to them ;). Anyway I had to buy some Harringtons in Morrisons today and it was only £2.00 for a 2.5kg bag ;)My 2 were always Burns but Monty doesn't keep his weight with it so I swapped , but I do like Burns ;) However my 2 have small poos, great coats etc on the Gelerts/Harringtons so would def recommend them to anyone looking for a more 'reasonable' kibble ;)

Ooo that looks promising - my local pet shop charges 2.79 for 2.5kg so will defo be having a trip to Morrisons. Thanks for that.

oops!! That should have read £3.79 for 2kgs - so Morrisons even better value, roughly half price lol- have been back to get 3 bags whilst it lasts
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »
did anyone know that barking heads is manufactured by MARS yes the chocolate. a friend at our flyball club discovred this by chance when looking at the ingredients . we were all giving it to our dogs. Just the thought put me off  :D its amazing what you find out when you dig deep,,, :005:

That isn't true, we have a BH rep coming to see us at work this week and I just phoned their head office to check this, they are 100% independent ;)  I think you may be confusing them with Nutro.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/